Author Topic: Zenrat's Flying Circus  (Read 159558 times)

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Zenrat's Flying Circus
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2015, 08:48:04 am »

And I glued the wings of the hurricane together.  Not as good a fit as I was expecting given it's one of the new Airfix.  Despite using my super-clamps there is a distinct gap in places around the edges and the trailing edge looks very thick.

Not had that problem myself on the 5 I've built so far. Can't comment on the thickness of the trailing edge. There is an oddity with the wing which many have commented on but from what I've read Airfix have said that this is what the real thing looked like ?
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2015, 02:32:30 am »
I thought it might have been due to me gluing the landing gear bay liner parts in misaligned but the fit in the middle is fine.  The issue is from outboard of the guns all the way round to the trailing edge wing root.  It looks like I should have trimmed off the locating pins and bosses.
It's nothing a bit of liquid filler won't sort out but it's annoying.

But then I just have to reach over to the Hasegawa Mohawk box and that puts it all into perspective.
PSR on the stretched wings is finished and now I have to scribe some lines back in.

On the D9 dozer i'm building the tracks which a slow process.  First time i've done this and it's just as time consuming and tedious as I expected.  So i'm breaking it down into small chunks of about 18 links at a time and then putting it aside for a few days while I get fired up again.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2015, 08:08:02 am »
It looks like I should have trimmed off the locating pins and bosses.

Must admit I tend to automatically drill out the holes for the locating pins on the new Airfix kits. Just enlarge them a fraction as I find the fit is very, very tight on some. I have a pin vice permanently fitted with a drill bit of the right size specifically for the purpose.

Had the "problem" with a couple of the new tools that when I dry fitted a part the fit was that good/tight I couldn't get it apart again  :rolleyes:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2015, 11:32:27 pm »
A run of liquid filler among the seams fixed the problem so i'm back on track.
Here's a mock up - wings & "glass" not attached yet.

TurboStuka is just awaiting the other 2 quarters of the spinner to be painted followed by some satin clear.

Wings are now attached to the Mohawk.  Once flash is trimmed and sanded this doesn't go together too badly.  Horrible brittle plastic though, of the sort I think of a "Monogram" plastic.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2015, 03:56:51 am »
From here

How about driving it down the street to go shopping?  ;D

We never tried that (we did plot a route from the poo farm to Port Phillip Bay via creeks and drains but never tried that either).
I suspect the cops would have a field day writing tickets.
I found some (slightly fuzzy) pics of it.
It was an e2 built by ASV

Power was by a Rotax 582 2 stroke twin.

Top speed was quoted to us as "at least 110 km/hr.  Probably more if you can find someone brave enough".
The plan was to use it to speed up drying in the (digested sewage) sludge drying pans.  Running the hovercraft over it was like running a trowel over wet concrete - the biosolids were pushed downwards and the effluent came to the top.
After I spent many many hours writing bespoke OH&S paperwork (safety procedures for operating hovercraft in sewage treatment plants are not exactly 10 a penny) we found it worked very well although the operator did get covered from head to foot in sludge thrown up by the lift air escaping from under the skirts.  Disposable paper overalls went from white to black in 5 minutes.
The problem was the wind.  Gusty winds from the wrong direction would blow it sideways and if it was in the wrong place it would hit the banks of the pans.  We had to put a wind speed limit in place which meant that given the flat open nature of the place we hardly ever got to use it.
In the end it was sold to a bloke from the Northern Territory who wanted it to get to fishing spots he couldn't reach any other way (he figured he could drive it over the crocs on the mud flats).
The real shame is that I never got to drive it.
Fred

Offline Flyer

« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2015, 04:53:31 am »
There was a guy who had a hovercraft about that size that he used on a beach and airstrip on the farm I lived on. I was very young at the time but the sound I remember was definitely 2-stroke. Was fun to watch him try to turn on the slope of the beach in strong wind, just getting further and further away sideways.
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2015, 05:30:02 am »
Totally the opposite end of the size range of the only hovercraft I ever worked on/in, which were the two extended SRN4s operated by Hoverspeed, the largest hovercraft ever built. Amazingly both of them still exist, although now museum pieces.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline scooter

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2015, 05:43:25 am »

On the D9 dozer i'm building the tracks which a slow process.  First time i've done this and it's just as time consuming and tedious as I expected.  So i'm breaking it down into small chunks of about 18 links at a time and then putting it aside for a few days while I get fired up again.

Yup...I'd bought a set of tracks for the Ferdinand to replace the vinyl ones, and after about 3 or four broken links and a hella lot of swearing, I broke down and just used what came with the kit
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2015, 08:02:03 am »
Hurricane looks like a touring/sporting aeroplane with that car door canopy and no rudder, especially a 30's one (fairly obvious I suppose, but you know what I mean)

Nice work on those  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2015, 01:26:43 am »

Yup...I'd bought a set of tracks for the Ferdinand to replace the vinyl ones, and after about 3 or four broken links and a hella lot of swearing, I broke down and just used what came with the kit

Well I got another 18 links done today without breaking any.  And they all flex as well which is a bonus!

I've also been doing some research today.  I've got a Hasegawa F-102 and want to build it with the missile bay closed.  Something that is by all accounts tricky to do with the kit parts as it's designed to be open.  Resin closed doors are available from the US but since I plan to use the closed doors as the basis for a gun pack that seems to be a bit extravagant.

Painted the Red and the Blue on the two Porco Rosso planes yesterday so they're coming along.
If you want a really surefire way to clog your airbrush confuse your paints and thin acrylic with enamel thinner then try to spray with it.

Glued the nose on the Mohawk and then added even more weight.  There is now more lead in this model than in an Indonesian drug smuggler.  And it might still need more.  Which could be a problem as the only place left is in the front of the nacelles and the SLAR pod and there isn't much room in them.
Hope the undercarriage can take the strain.
Fred

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2015, 03:17:56 am »
I've also been doing some research today.  I've got a Hasegawa F-102 and want to build it with the missile bay closed.  Something that is by all accounts tricky to do with the kit parts as it's designed to be open.  Resin closed doors are available from the US but since I plan to use the closed doors as the basis for a gun pack that seems to be a bit extravagant.

'All accounts' are dead right, it's a real bitch of a job.  :banghead:

I've done two of them, one an aborted attempt at a TF-102 from the Airmodel 'conversion', and I had the same problems with both sets of missile bay doors. They're too narrow and leave large gaps between the sections. On the TF-102 I tried to use Milliput filler between the gaps but it just kept on falling through into the missile bay itself and was never strong enough to file and sand. On the stock Dagger I covered the whole shebang with some styrene sheet and tube glue, waited a few days for it all to dry off and then filed and  sanded like crazy and that seemed to work OK.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline zenrat

« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2015, 03:31:44 am »
Thanks Kit.  I'll have a ponder and play with the bits and see what I come up with.  Bulkheads in the missile bay to support the doors maybe and strips of plastic along the backs.

Fred

Offline zenrat

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2015, 03:45:15 am »
We had The Boy this weekend so I was on Uncle duty.  Perfect time to sit with a piece of board on my lap and finish off the D9 tracks while watching stuff on the idiots lantern.
Fred

Offline scooter

« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2015, 04:53:23 am »
Thanks Kit.  I'll have a ponder and play with the bits and see what I come up with.  Bulkheads in the missile bay to support the doors maybe and strips of plastic along the backs.

That would work.  It'd give the bay doors both something for the glue and putty to grab on to and structural rigidity for PSR
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline zenrat

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2015, 01:36:39 am »
Some major steps today.
Wings glued onto the Hurricane (and yes, they did need a slight trim at the back where they meet the fuselage).
Fuselage halves glued together on the F-102.
Mohawk PSR finished and a satisfactory coat of primer in place.
Last of the decals onto the Savoia and the Curtis.  Just a bit of microsol needed on the tail of the Savoia and some trimming.  The Curtis has almost no decals as I chose to paint the yellow and white parts figuring Royal Blue could show through the decals.

I also added some detail into the cabin of the D9 - a strategically placed map (covers an ejector pin mark I missed) and a poster on the large blank area behind the No.2 seat (there because I lowered the seat to improve driver visibility and because this will be a civilian machine and thus have no need for a gunner).  The map is a very reduced one of the Carrum Poo Farm where I used to work and the poster is a picture of Kari Byron holding an RPG aloft.
I've finished the tracks but had to carry out some modifications to get them to fit properly.  If built as per the instructions the tracks would be super loose.  I took out a link and they still fitted but were so tight I was worried that the thickness of the paint would stop them fitting.  IRL what you do if the tracks are too loose is "pump them up".  This moves the large front roller forwards.  To achieve the same effect in 1/35 I sawed off the front roller carrier and put in spacers which are the white parts in the picture below.  Now I have a realistic amount of slack for an operational dozer.

Fred