Author Topic: The Wooksta: Not a Spitfire Blog  (Read 17939 times)

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
Re: The Wooksta: Not a Spitfire Blog
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2020, 02:20:23 pm »
"Yeah, it's got a few bloodstains on it."

Having had a better look at the photos of the Victor I've purloined from ebay, I think it should be okay.  We're looking at some basic sanding and filling a few gaps and sink holes, but nothing too major other than the fun and games with the canopy.  The u/c *might* be salvageable, but I know I've a spare set from somewhere.  Just a bit concerned in case it comes apart when I strip it...

I've done the refill after sanding down the Valiant - noticed a few small things to tidy up but nothing too heavy.  I do need to sort out the area around the canopy but will leave that till the rest of the airframe is done.

Part of me is tempted to start the Airfix one as a comparison build.  It's tempting, but really, I've more than enough to do with the other V bombers kicking about here.

Comments on this thread - in the vain attempt that anyone is actually reading it and can be arsed to reply - go here:
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=35118.270
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2020, 04:30:50 pm »
"You know, I have the most terrible craving for a piece of fried lavatory paper."

I haven't done a lot with either Valiant of Victor, other than tidy up and reprime various bits that need sorting out.  With the Valiant, other than one or two bits, they tend to stay fixed.  Would that they would be so similar on the Victor.  Areas are filled, sanded, primed only to be as bad as they were before.  Some are fit issues directly related to the moulds, and frankly it's dire.  At least the Valiant has an excuse - it's Mach Poo, so you expect a bad fit, but the Victor?  Easily one of the worst ill fitting kits that Matchbox *ever* did and almost, but not quite, on a par of horribleness with their 32nd Venom,.

I've cleaned up some of the smaller parts of the Valiant - namely the wheels and the u/c, which looks very substantial.  I had thought of swapping it out for the Airfix one, but the latter didn't quite fit.  The same went for the underwing tanks, as the Airfix ones are better but look much bigger than the Mach Poo ones.  Again, I decided to keep the Mach Poo bits.  They'll get primed at some point soon .  I know I need to assemble a set of Matchbox Victor refuelling pods for the Valiant, as it'll be  two point tanker.

The built up Victor has arrived, although I haven't got it yet as it's sitting at my postal address.  More sanding but I know I'll need to do some minor surgery to the rear of the bomb bay to remove the refuelling cradle(?) but I have the wreckage of another fuselage that can give me the necessary patch piece.  Other than that, strip, fill sand prime and repeat ad bleeding nausem.  Overall two colour wraparound and a pair of Martels under each wing, on a similar dual pylon to that on the Vulcan, albeit on the refuelling pylon rather than the Shrike pylon from the Vulcan. Never thought about a unit for it, but one of the normal Victor bomber units should do.

And mention of Vulcan brings me to the built up one I've acquired on ebay.  It looks to be more clean up than the Victor, and certainly more repair work.  Plans for this one?  Overall Desert pink with paveways under the wings on the Shrike pylons.  Some of the older hands may well remember that we had a similar model on the stands in the early to mid 90s.

More fool me, but I've volunteered to take part in a proposed V Bomber group build on Britmodeller, if only to get some extra whiffs over there.  Still not quite sure what I'll be doing, other than XM594 with nukes as part of "Last Flight of XM594", but I'm tempted with an operational Skybolt Vulcan B2 in antiflash, bearing in mind I did a camo'd one a decade back.  Thoughts are also turning to another scratchbodge of the Atlantic, although it may well be a master for a vacform fuselage.  Any resulting model would go in the more normal transport scheme, although the greys worn by the VC10s are an interesting alternate.

Comments on this thread - in the vain attempt that anyone is actually reading it and can be arsed to reply - go here:
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

The Plan:

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2020, 11:54:50 am »
"Depends how you look at it, I suppose. Not so good if you're a bit of dirt. But then, who is? Shall I do it, then?"

Well, I've now got my paws on the built up Victor and it looks better than I'd thought, but it's still going to be a lot of filling and sanding.  Mr Muscle will be deployed tomorrow to try and get the paint off then and I'm not sure if I should prime it first to show up the flaws or just start sanding.  The u/c is a complete writeoff, although the nosegear leg may be salvageable.  Luckily, I've a complete set of u/c for the kit and I honestly don't know where they came from.

I've started doing some research for my white Skybolt Vulcan, trying to find a serial for an aircraft that had the various mods to carry it and also a suitable squadron. 617 is out, as it's just too obvious and the camo'd one I did a decade back was with 617, so they're covered.  XM603 is part of the Skybolt batch and that served with 9, 12, 35 and 101 sqns, so that gives me a selection of units to play with.

I've just had a thought for a late BAe operated Vulcan - XH558? - carrying a load of Storm Shadow test rounds.  Overall wraparound or the late 90s greys?  A bomber nose Canberra is also a possibility for that, as there'd be room for all sorts of test equipment and black boxes.  Would there be clearance for a Storm Shadow under a Hunter?  Late P.1121 carrying a pair under the fuselage?  TSR2 I've already done to death.

A tanker in Hemp is another possibility, with the RAF trying their hardest to keep the type in the face of Treasury opposition as they know they'll probably need them at some point.

So, there's a few ideas and with the new Vulcan due, prices for the older kits should hopefully tumble.

The Plan:

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #183 on: Yesterday at 09:58:37 am »
"I'm completely bloody sick of this!"

I don't know if they've changed the formula for Mr Muscle oven cleaner, but it's not working very well.  I've had several attempts now and the white paint underneath is just not shifting.  Well, it has on the fuselage, but the wings...  Well, it's a Matchbox one, so the plastic there is white, so I don't know if the paints coming off or not.

Apart from a few gaps where there usually are on that particular kit, it seems to have been quite well assembled.  The wing leading edges could do with some clean up and the wing joins need filling, but it's nothing that I can't handle.  My fears about it coming apart were groundless, although I deliberately snapped off the underwing slipper tanks and the fin and tailplanes to ease paint removal.  The tailplanes look like they'll need considerable cleanup and rebuild and I've a feeling I should get another tube of filler.

I'm hoping to get a primer coat on either saturday or sunday, but I'm aiming to start spraying things soon.

Vulcan.  It would appear that all the work I did to get XM607 shipshape with new exhausts was all to nowt, as I found a website which gives details of each Vulcan built, what engines they had, Skybolt mods, etc.  It seems that all the (intended) Skybolt carriers had Olympus 301s and just the one ECM plate but my build of what was intended to be XM607 now has 202s and 2 ECM plates.  I'm now thinking that one may be the RAAF one and the one intended to be RAAF will have to have it's wings replaced (they're not on yet) as I hadn't drilled out the Shrike mounting points as it wasn't going to have underwing stores. 

At least I get to use those shiny brass exhausts.

The Plan:

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #184 on: Yesterday at 01:37:25 pm »
"But it says here, Michael look, "Ensure machine is clean, and free from dust"!"

Well, it's as paint free as I can make it.  What won't come off with Mr Muscle will be sanded off.  Leaving it to drain and dry out overnight before giving it a coat of primer to see what I need to fix.  The tail surfaces and wing joins seem to be the worst, but it looks to be relatively pain free.  As much as a Matchbox Victor can be pain free.

Then I have to do it all over again with a Vulcan...

The Plan: