The Flying Machines of Unconventional Means GB - Discussion

Started by NARSES2, February 24, 2019, 06:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This is the place for your general chat
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

I've always wanted to build a tilt-winged C-130 and now is my chance to do it  :banghead:

tigercat

Would CAM tech work for a WW2 ZELL .

I suspect  it might be too bulky ?

PR19_Kit

OK, what's 'CAM Tech' then?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

strobez

OOoh... this looks like it might be the perfect spot to try the Fanjet from the Macross anime that I've been thinking about for a couple of years....  Is that unconventional enough?
Thanks!

Greg

The Wooksta!

You're all thinking too small and too conventional.

Either the Revell Hannebau or the larger Squadron one.  Or there's the Pegasus)?) TR-3B
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

strobez

Wait... I changed my mind.  Do we have to know HOW it flies? Or can we just say it does and leave it at that?  If so I'm going to build the Dr. Lao's flying jar machine thingy from the ancient anime TV show Future Boy Conan.  It's been on my list of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli related builds for a while, and since I started moving forward on my Ohm build, I uncovered some of the supplies I had amassed in anticipation of the build.  Seems like a good place to try it out.
Thanks!

Greg

Weaver

Kinda related question: does it have to fly by credible aeronautical principles, or can it be completely fantastical?

The reason I aks is that the term 'flying machine' makes me think of things like this:

(those arn't hot air ballons BTW - they're copper spheres with a vacuum inside them...)

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Wearing my Moderator's Hat, and before consultation with my esteemed colleague Mr. NARSES2, I'd say ALL of those idea are admissible.

So go for it, you lot!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 24, 2019, 11:41:16 AM
OK, what's 'CAM Tech' then?

Collapsed Anti Matter.  A material commonly used as a Spacecraft weapon in Iain M Banks' Culture universe.   :mellow:

For this GB my main build will be a Fairey Rotodyne 2.0.  As side builds I may dabble with one or all of the following; an autogiro, an ornithopter (with working "flap" - that will take a bit of thought), a racing ekranoplan, a flying car and something silly involving bits and pieces from the parts boxes.

Quote from: Weaver on February 24, 2019, 09:49:07 PM

(those aren't hot air balloons BTW - they're copper spheres with a vacuum inside them...)

Vacuum dirigibles are another Sci Fi staple.  In one concept lift is generated by vacuum "filled" buckyball spheres.

This may be one GB where Eric has as many entries as Dizz...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Beg your pardon, but the rules gave me some doubt.
At the beginning, the basic idea was "vertical take off", but now I see: "unusual or unconventional at the time it was conceived. ..., Helicopters and other rotary types"
But TODAY helicopters are NOT unconventional. So a modern day what-if helicopter is allowed or not? Or only pioneer helicopters (let say till late forties)?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Weaver

Quote from: loupgarou on February 25, 2019, 12:32:22 AM
Beg your pardon, but the rules gave me some doubt.
At the beginning, the basic idea was "vertical take off", but now I see: "unusual or unconventional at the time it was conceived. ..., Helicopters and other rotary types"
But TODAY helicopters are NOT unconventional. So a modern day what-if helicopter is allowed or not? Or only pioneer helicopters (let say till late forties)?

I'm NOT a moderator, but I think this clause may clarify things:

QuoteIf you have an idea for something that gets off the ground (or tries to) by methods other than the vehicles forward motion causing air to travel over an aerofoil surface then it's probably included.

So anything that isn't a fixed wing being pushed forward through the air is probably okay.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

- Indiana Jones