The Flying Machines of Unconventional Means GB - Discussion

Started by NARSES2, February 24, 2019, 06:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Rotodynes have wings, but the primary means of generating lift is not by the forward motion of the vehicle through the air.

Ekranoplans have wings, but their dependence upon ground effect to augment the lift of their wings makes them unconventional.

Ornithopters have wings, but the primary means of generating lift is not by the forward motion of the vehicle through the air.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

My point is that we shouldn't limit this by trying to define it.
Treat the rules as vague guidelines and let anything be entered should the mods deem it unconventional.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on February 26, 2019, 01:35:30 AM
Treat the rules as vague guidelines and let anything be entered should the mods deem it unconventional.

Well indeed. My previous post was intended to demonstrate how the rules are written in such a way as to make all the intended forms, and many others beside, permissable.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

ericr

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 26, 2019, 01:35:30 AM

That's certainly my interpretation. Basically me and Kit will consider every proposal on an individual basis.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Someone once said 'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of Whiffers' and that certainly holds true for this GB.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2019, 10:40:56 AM
Someone once said 'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of Whiffers' and that certainly holds true for this GB.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
;D ;D ;D

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Nick

Why did I get a Bond stunt in mind when I first read the title?!  ;D

"You're not thinking of...?"
"I sure am boy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzCIbhLUUA0

zenrat

:thumbsup:

They'd just CGI that these days.  Which is a shame.

Fred

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on February 28, 2019, 01:57:56 AM
:thumbsup:

They'd just CGI that these days.  Which is a shame.

Or they'd do it 'for real' but with the car on a big, strong track and then CGI the track out. That's how they do a lot of 'flying people' scene these days: the actor look like they're flying and gets to interact credibly with their surroundings, but they're on an inch-thick cable that's never going to break, rather than the thin, fragile 'invisible' flying lines that were used in the 'good' old days.

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Anyone got the Airfix 1/24 Little Nelly kit?  That'd make a good build for this GB - if suitably whiffed of course.
Fred