The Flying Machines of Unconventional Means GB - Discussion

Started by NARSES2, February 24, 2019, 06:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on February 25, 2019, 12:32:22 AM

But TODAY helicopters are NOT unconventional. So a modern day what-if helicopter is allowed or not?

Yes.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on February 25, 2019, 12:26:04 AM

Vacuum dirigibles are another Sci Fi staple.  In one concept lift is generated by vacuum "filled" buckyball spheres.

I seem to recall one old picture of a craft that was lifted up by bottles of dew, the idea being that since dew rises in the morning, it can presumably take you with it...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

I'll also take the opportunity to tackle two projects: one is from my personal series "Things to make and do with a Hawker Hawk" (well, series is a little exagerrated, since, from my many ideas, only one has seen the light so far!), and the other one will be a Soviet tiltrotor attack thing. Muahaha!

Another option might be a "Duey" attack helicopter from the Dougram anime series - there's one somewhere in the stash...

And/or: I might tackle a "Maverick"/"Bushman" or "Roundfacer" airborne combo from the same series, I have both kits (vintage originals, though) in store, too:

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2019, 12:16:52 AM
Wearing my Moderator's Hat, and before consultation with my esteemed colleague Mr. NARSES2, I'd say ALL of those idea are admissible.

So go for it, you lot!

And so would I

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2019, 04:40:17 AM

But TODAY helicopters are NOT unconventional. So a modern day what-if helicopter is allowed or not?

Yes.

I did think about this when I was trying to draw up the rules and given that in the origional suggestion for inclusion in the GB Poll they were mentioned, then yes they are included. As Weaver mentions they get included via my

"If you have an idea for something that gets off the ground (or tries to) by methods other than the vehicles forward motion causing air to travel over an aerofoil surface then it's probably included" clause.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 25, 2019, 07:57:15 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2019, 12:16:52 AM
Wearing my Moderator's Hat, and before consultation with my esteemed colleague Mr. NARSES2, I'd say ALL of those idea are admissible.

So go for it, you lot!

And so would I

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2019, 04:40:17 AM

Yes.

I did think about this when I was trying to draw up the rules and given that in the origional suggestion for inclusion in the GB Poll they were mentioned, then yes they are included. As Weaver mentions they get included via my

"If you have an idea for something that gets off the ground (or tries to) by methods other than the vehicles forward motion causing air to travel over an aerofoil surface then it's probably included" clause.

Thanks.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Please remember that my watchwords of 'Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings' does NOT apply for this GB, as none of the entries should have any wings!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Ah but Kit surely, rotor blades, propellor blades, and turbine blades are nothing more than small wings.  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Nick

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on February 25, 2019, 11:32:16 AM

Ah but Kit surely, rotor blades, propellor blades, and turbine blades are nothing more than small wings.  :wacko:

Most of them are already 'long' Jim.............  ;D

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2019, 10:55:33 AM
Please remember that my watchwords of 'Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings' does NOT apply for this GB, as none of the entries should have any wings!

Ah, so compound helicopters are out then?  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: <stir, stir stir....>
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 25, 2019, 04:43:26 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2019, 10:55:33 AM

Ah, so compound helicopters are out then?  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: <stir, stir stir....>

Only if they have VERY short wings!

[I never thought I'd ever write something like that!  :o]

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Rotodynes, Ekranoplans and Ornithoptors all have wings and all three were included in the original definition of the GB upon which we voted.
Ekranoplans also fly (in a limited sense) due to forward motion causing airflow over their wings to generate lift.
All three are most definitely unconventional.

Vanships were practically invented for this GB.  As were the flying battleships they operate from.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

THE DAILY STUN
    KITNAPPED
  • Kit Spackman kidnapped
  • Replaced by impostor
  • Police do nothing

In SENSATIONAL news that is ROCKING the world of model-making, sources tell your soaraway Daily Stun reporter that Mr. Kit Spaceman has been KIDNAPPED and replaced by an IMPOSTOR. "He'd never say a thing like that!" insisted Mr. Harold Smith (38) of Stokeport, "who is this person and what have they done with the real Kit?" Strokeport Police have so far refused to give a comment to the media despite a number of requests.

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 25, 2019, 11:43:46 PM

Rotodynes, Ekranoplans and Ornithoptors all have wings and all three were included in the original definition of the GB upon which we voted.
Ekranoplans also fly (in a limited sense) due to forward motion causing airflow over their wings to generate lift.
All three are most definitely unconventional.

And they all have short wings (apart from Rotocranes, that is......)

Regards
Kit