Author Topic: Zenrat's Flying Circus  (Read 159554 times)

Offline zenrat

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Currently on double secret probation.
Re: Zenrat's Flying Circus
« Reply #255 on: July 01, 2015, 04:01:21 am »
Thanks folks.
Cap'n the trolley-jeep looks much better now it's painted Red.  I'm now gong through the slow process of painting tyres, seats, counterweights etc NotRed.
Chris - I have a high failure rate with masking windows.  I usually use too much force and push them into the fuselage.  It would be impossible to paint and then window with this kit if you didn't whiff it and if you followed the instructions.  I've re-engineered it to take a completely new floor and rear bulkhead which will slide in after the windows are fitted.  This would not work if I had kept the kit floor with bomb rack, dorsal turret and ventral gun position.  Of course this is only theory and despite working in trial runs with everything taped together I am expecting there is something i've missed which will get in the way causing an abject failure (I am by nature an optimistic pessimist - I expect the worst to happen so if it doesn't i'm pleased and if it does it's what I expected).

I've not done much to anything in the last couple of days as i've been running around packing and shifting stuff thats in the builders way.  Also they've repurposed the back yard into a storage facility which has rendered the mental map I use to navigate back to the house in the dark (night falls at 1730 here ATM) inaccurate due to stacks of bricks, reinforcing mesh and trenches.  Of course I could take a torch down there but that would be far too sensible.
I did manage to get a spot more PSR done on the Hotspur though.  No new name has suggested itself although given the Shakespearean connection i'm thinking GAL Malvolio or Oberon or...

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:14:53 am by zenrat »
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Librarian

• NOT a Monkey!
« Reply #256 on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:13 am »
The 'soon-to-not-be' Hotspur has certainly caught my eye. I've wanted to create something like that for some time but just can't think of suitable donor parts....or how it would look. Carry on and I shall follow in thy wake ;D.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2015, 04:11:08 am »
Well all the non Hotspur parts came from my parts box.  Prop is Vought Kingfisher and engine is Kawanishi N1K1 mounted on a 1/24 wheel with the end of a drop tank stuck on the back.   No planning.  Just a rummage until I found stuff that would do the job.
Undercarriage is next.  It'll be a tricycle job with the nose wheel semi recessed in the fuselage.  Main wheels will probably be Stuka although I do have a spare set of the big Heyford spats and wheels.  Ideal for unpaved strips...
This is going to be another Frankston Skycabs plane and so will be primrose yellow with green & white chequers.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline ericr

« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2015, 11:18:54 pm »
   No planning.  Just a rummage until I found stuff that would do the job.

serendipity at its best

Offline zenrat

« Reply #259 on: July 04, 2015, 02:23:13 am »
Here's the Hotspur sitting on Heyford spats.  I think i'll go with these.  She'll need some nose weight though.

And here's the single seat Babs.  Shades of Hughes H1?

Fred

Offline Flyer

« Reply #260 on: July 06, 2015, 12:03:23 am »
Liking the look of the solo Babs :mellow:
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline zenrat

« Reply #261 on: July 06, 2015, 01:46:22 am »
Thanks Brad.  It's amazing the difference shortening the canopy makes.
Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: July 06, 2015, 05:48:59 am »
Liking the look of the solo Babs :mellow:

Makes her look like a racer. More Hughes then Caproni, but very mid 30's state of the art  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

« Reply #263 on: July 07, 2015, 04:34:42 am »
I may fair in the rear of Bab's spatted undercarriage to add to that racer vibe.

The Hotspur now has Heyford spats firmly attached.  It took 2 of my smaller fishing weights in the nose to keep it down.
The wheels look almost comically large but my thinking is that this is for taking customers to unmade bush strips and landing in paddocks on outback stations.

Caproni is ready for pre-decal clear but it's been too cold to risk trying it.

Dagger is still being PSRed (the final shaping around the gun pack and the last stubborn gaps in the wings and tail).

I've also found this kit on evil-bay.  It has so much possibility I may have to get one.
Fred

Offline Librarian

• NOT a Monkey!
« Reply #264 on: July 07, 2015, 06:37:49 am »
What's your technique for filling and sanding smooth that forward cockpit on 'Babs'. I have my way but I've noticed that after a few weeks some shrinkage can occur. I really want to 'Skyraider' a Naka B6N but that hydroponics farm they call a canopy always puts me off.

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #265 on: July 07, 2015, 02:59:52 pm »
Hotspur looks good like that ! I like that Japanese carrier thing too....who makes that ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline zenrat

« Reply #266 on: July 08, 2015, 03:19:46 am »
The Material Carrier is made by Aoshima.

Max - I glued a piece of curved styrene sheet inside the fuselage and the put filler on the outside.  I think the trick might be in the filler.  I use Tamiya Polyester Putty which is a 2 part product meaning it sets by chemical reaction rather than by evaporation of solvent and thus doesn't shrink.  It stinks to high heaven and is bright yellow but it's the best i've used.
Tamiya do however also make a light curing putty which intrigues me.  They claim it's ready to sand in 1 minute after exposure to sunlight or 2 minutes with artificial light.
Fred

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2015, 07:20:31 am »
Ya thanks I found some online from Amazon and Ebay...might just go for it ! Be a cool addition to a Harrier dio eh ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2015, 07:34:13 pm »
The EKFG was trying to persuade me that that JGSDF load carrier would make a good snowcat at a recent show....

Re the Hotspur (which is looking very good BTW), try anagrams: Top Rush, Hu-Sport etc....

Re your old tank question:

T-55 = 100mm gun, 4 x crew inc. manual loader
T-62 = 115mm gun, 3 x crew plus auto-loader
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline zenrat

« Reply #269 on: July 09, 2015, 08:51:37 pm »
As i've just had a tooth removed under IV sedation (recommended - I remember nothing except snoring 3 times.  It would be a great way to spend the next time I fly Australia to UK) I may still be under the influence of drugs but I just bought a Load Carrier kit through evil-bay.
And oddly I was thinking as I did so "that would look good on one of H's Antarctic dioramas.

Thanks for the tank info.

I'm off to put Hotspur into an anagram generator.

Fred