Author Topic: Airfix  (Read 487227 times)

Offline Rick Lowe

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Airfix
« Reply #4290 on: January 12, 2019, 05:24:28 pm »
I wish they'd start doing the polythene figures in hard styrene. Both scales.

I would also like to see someone do a reasonably-priced set or sets of 1/32 or 1/35 Multipose generic civilians... 30s, 40s, 50s, modern etc.
Adults and children (which can be the most difficult to convert and get right).

Something we can use to populate dioramas, civilian vehicles, etc etc.
It can't be that difficult, but I guess there has to be a perceived market.  :-\

Some companies do Middle-Eastern style and WWII style ones, but their imagination doesn't seem to get far beyond that, unfortunately. Master Box and Dio Park are two that spring to mind.

Yeah. I'd like post-war Europeans, as I say, for cars & such. Or urban, 20thC Insurgents/Militia.

You can do a lot with tissue paper glued over the basic figure, but it's fiddly and takes more practice than I've had, or skill I've got.
Having said that, I'd probably still wind up modifying them anyway!  ;D

And did I mention I'd like to find CHEAPER ones? Preiser and Masterbox have some great stuff, but the prices for them (if you can find them) in NZ are deal-breakers.

Still, I can always make a blank/generic and cast it.

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #4291 on: January 12, 2019, 06:55:09 pm »
Well, assuming the business deal is sensible, this should be a relatively painless way for them to try sticking their toe in the 1/35th armour market. If it works out, and I don't see why it shouldn't, they can move on to doing their own moulds in due course. I don't do 1/35th armour, but judging by the reaction that things like the Takom FV432 and the Dragon(?) Saladin got, there's definitely a market there for British post-war subjects, so how about, as a baby-step, a 1/35th Ferret scout car? Relatively small and easy, and, as far as I know, not covered before by anyone. Some late '60s- early '80s troops and crews would be good too... (i.e. the SLR/Sterling/GPMG/Carl Gustav/DPM cammo era).

Not sure if they'd want to court the controversy, but if they did, then the Northern Ireland Troubles are a rich well of diorama possibilities that could be supported: Humber Pigs, Saracens, Shorlands (armoured Land Rovers), the various Police vehicles, troops on-patrol with berets, scoped SLRs and black gloves, etc, etc...

All Airfix need to do to get ideas for 1/35 armour subjects is to look at what Kit Form Services are doing as 1/24 resin.
FV432, Stalwart, Saracen, Saxon, Humber Pig, Scammell Crusader, Bedford RL & GS, Saladin, Ferret, Champ, Matador, Militant, Forward Control, Ambulance & Air Portable Landrovers...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

My name is Commander William Riker.  Take me to your women.

Online rickshaw

« Reply #4292 on: January 12, 2019, 11:03:52 pm »
I wish they'd start doing the polythene figures in hard styrene.

I am unsure why people find polythene such a difficult substance to work with.  Back, many moons ago, when I was a wee lad, I read in a modelling magazine that the trick was to dip the figures, whole into a tin of plastic varnish - before painting.  I used to use the common Humbrol varnish (doesn't matter if it's gloss or matte). This was to provide a stable and slightly harder surface to paint on.  After I'd painted them I then sprayed them with another varnish (usually Estapol). That would then protect the figures for decades even under rough wargaming handling.  :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #4293 on: January 12, 2019, 11:38:14 pm »
I wish they'd start doing the polythene figures in hard styrene.

I am unsure why people find polythene such a difficult substance to work with.  Back, many moons ago, when I was a wee lad, I read in a modelling magazine that the trick was to dip the figures, whole into a tin of plastic varnish - before painting.  I used to use the common Humbrol varnish (doesn't matter if it's gloss or matte). This was to provide a stable and slightly harder surface to paint on.  After I'd painted them I then sprayed them with another varnish (usually Estapol). That would then protect the figures for decades even under rough wargaming handling.  :thumbsup:

Yep, I have heard of that technique and it sounds like it'll do the job nicely.
What I'm after is something that can be altered and converted more easily, without having to pin the things and hope the paint/varnish will keep it from falling apart again.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #4294 on: January 13, 2019, 01:15:59 am »
I wonder if the figures could be successfully injection moulded in another material?
It isn't uncommon to find sink marks in 1/72 (or HO or OO or 1/76 etc) hard styrene figures (usually in the chest or stomach so they look like they have been shot with a very large calibre weapon) but i can't recall ever seeing them in the equally complex similarly scaled soft plastic toy soldiers I used to play with.
If one requires to re-pose these figures one could always cast copies in resin.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
« Reply #4295 on: January 13, 2019, 02:15:00 am »

And did I mention I'd like to find CHEAPER ones? Preiser and Masterbox have some great stuff, but the prices for them (if you can find them) in NZ are deal-breakers.

Yeah, Preiser do 'Adam' and 'Eve' figures in different scales, which are multi-part nude figures with enough parts in each box to make about seven (but not all in the same pose). They look ideal for a few things I have in mind, but at 38 for the 1/35th set? Nope, not happening...
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Online NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4296 on: January 13, 2019, 04:26:48 am »
I have a fair few bags of the old Airfix plastic figures from before I could afford white metal and most of them still have their paint on them. If I remember rightly (it was 55 years or so ago  :o) we used to wash them in warm, soapy water, and then dip them in white glue.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #4297 on: January 14, 2019, 12:13:49 am »

Yeah, Preiser do 'Adam' and 'Eve' figures in different scales, which are multi-part nude figures with enough parts in each box to make about seven (but not all in the same pose). They look ideal for a few things I have in mind, but at 38 for the 1/35th set? Nope, not happening...

I've had a set of the Eve figures since I got them in the UK back in '95... still haven't had the courage to actually use them, as I was never willing to pay the cost for more... though now I have a set of the Masterbox Pinups, I think I will probably get on with it and do some of the figures I have had in mind for a while.

If I remember rightly (it was 55 years or so ago  :o) we used to wash them in warm, soapy water, and then dip them in white glue.

That rings a bell, I'm pretty sure that was the technique.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:18:11 am by Rick Lowe »

Offline JayBee

• Won't go back to Hull again
  • What-IF SIG
  • "Aquilla non captat muskas"
« Reply #4298 on: January 14, 2019, 05:42:51 am »
I have a fair few bags of the old Airfix plastic figures from before I could afford white metal and most of them still have their paint on them. If I remember rightly (it was 55 years or so ago  :o) we used to wash them in warm, soapy water, and then dip them in white glue.

Or paint them with diluted (with Water) white glue.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Offline tigercat

« Reply #4299 on: January 14, 2019, 06:40:01 am »
I wonder if Mosquito wings would fit on a Heron

Offline The Wooksta!

• Resident Soup Dragon
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #4300 on: January 14, 2019, 04:30:40 pm »
No.  They won't.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline Scotaidh

• Full scale Arrow in basement
« Reply #4301 on: January 15, 2019, 01:46:18 am »
No.  They won't.

That almost sounds like a challenge.  ;)
I try to learn from the mistakes of others who take my advice.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #4302 on: January 15, 2019, 02:33:55 am »
The Heron is an extremely graceful aircraft which it would be difficult to perform major surgery to without ruining its looks.

A discussion in the car on the way home from a model club meeting has made me realise there is another range of kits Airfix could be re-popping - their 1/16 scale motorcycles.
While they are in an odd scale they do include subjects not moulded by anyone else such as the Ariel Arrow and BSA C15 which could prove popular.

Fred

Offline The Wooksta!

• Resident Soup Dragon
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #4303 on: January 15, 2019, 04:08:07 am »
I did think about putting Hornet wings on a Devon, then I looked at it and realised that it'd be impractical.  If it won't work with a Devon, it won't with a Heron.

I'm hoping that someone will do RAF or RN markings for the Heron.  Caracal?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline tigercat

« Reply #4304 on: January 15, 2019, 04:29:10 am »
Ugly aircraft aren't a problem  i just pretend
They're by Blackburn ..

How about a Spooky Heron .