Author Topic: Shapeways 3D printed kits  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Stores peanuts in his mailbox
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
    • Acme Engineering
Re: Shapeways 3D printed kits
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 12:21:22 am »
Harro, some questions about your FASS radomes. The ones you have developed are generic ones, is that correct ?  Could they be modified so they're suitable to wrap around a 12 foot wide by 8 foot high scanner dish ?  And then done in 1/72 scale ?  I'd imagine the dish end of the radome would be around 14 foot by 10 foot.

The current design is a copy of the Cammett conversion kit for the Nimrod AEW. The Cammett kit also includes sections that blend the radomes into the fuselage, I've left those off to make them more easily adaptable to other aircraft.

Scaling them up or down is fairly easy, changing the shape is more involved. I'll see what I can come up with.

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
Re: Shapeways 3D printed kits - manu
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 04:23:42 am »
I'm going to revive this thread to post those producers I've found list a line of what if subjects.  No judgements, no ratings, no particular order, just a way to help you find them.

Algorithmic Designs - aircraft
Tiny Thingamajigs- ships
Alternate Visions - air and spacecraft
Mini and Beyond - ships
Amatuer Wargame Figures - ships
OKB-985 Design Burea - aircraft

Please add to the list!

JoeP

Ranchoth's Arsenal - all sorts of eclectic what-if and real things, from nuclear bombs to guitars!
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ranchoth
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 07:08:08 am »
Harro, some questions about your FASS radomes. The ones you have developed are generic ones, is that correct ?  Could they be modified so they're suitable to wrap around a 12 foot wide by 8 foot high scanner dish ?  And then done in 1/72 scale ?  I'd imagine the dish end of the radome would be around 14 foot by 10 foot.

The current design is a copy of the Cammett conversion kit for the Nimrod AEW. The Cammett kit also includes sections that blend the radomes into the fuselage, I've left those off to make them more easily adaptable to other aircraft.

Scaling them up or down is fairly easy, changing the shape is more involved. I'll see what I can come up with.

Cheers Harro,

My plan is to build this version of the BAe 844, in 1/72 scale. If I can get the radome basic shape, I can work out and develop the rest of it where it blends into the fuselage.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 09:12:18 am »

Cheers Harro,

My plan is to build this version of the BAe 844, in 1/72 scale. If I can get the radome basic shape, I can work out and develop the rest of it where it blends into the fuselage.

To give you a sense of scale Harro, the 1/72 A310 kit I will be using, the fuselage is 75mm diameter.

Offline Hobbes

• Stores peanuts in his mailbox
  • What-IF SIG
    • Acme Engineering
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 07:15:10 am »

Cheers Harro,

Going by the size of the dishes: going from 8x6 (ft) to to 12x8 is a factor 1.33. in 1/72 I get a radome that's 60 mm wide and 43.7 mm high. 14'x10' scales to 59x42 mm so that's pretty close to your estimate.

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 07:31:28 am »

Cheers Harro,

Going by the size of the dishes: going from 8x6 (ft) to to 12x8 is a factor 1.33. in 1/72 I get a radome that's 60 mm wide and 43.7 mm high. 14'x10' scales to 59x42 mm so that's pretty close to your estimate.

Very interesting Harro, thanks. PM incoming ---