Yet another RW car build!

Started by PR19_Kit, April 14, 2019, 03:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Having just polished off my first car build for many a long year, I'm straight into doing another one!  :o

My younger daughter's (Did you know she was the RAF's................Ah, OK.......... ;D) husband is as much a car nut as me, and until recently his daily drive was a 2005 Ford Mustang GT, a machine of some considerable horsepower, like 350 or so, and also a similar fuel burn. As he now has to commute weekly from Shropshire to Hampshire and back the Mustang was hardly the optimum choice so he swapped it for a Ford Fiesta, albeit an ST.

As his birthday is fast approaching, it was decided that I would build him a model of the Mustang, and I had very little input in the discussion, the two sisters deemed it WOULD happen and who am I to argue such a point?  ;D

This is the real thing.

So a suitable kit was obtained (luckily Revell do exactly the right year and model) at a bargain price, and here it is. Yeah, the box is a tad battered, but the plastic us perfect and as the box is one of those awful end opening things that Revell are using these days, it has a limited life, maybe a day or so!

I know I said I'd give modelling a bit of a break after the Caterham magnum opus, but I only lasted about 36 hrs before I just had to do SOMEthing!  ;D

So here's the parts layout, well packed IMHO, and I'd already started on some assembly before I remembered to take some pics.

The model will be black of course, so it'll show up a lot better in later pics.

The engine part built. It's a hefty thing with that MASSIVE intake manifold on the top.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 15, 2019, 03:42:36 AM

Right hand drive?

Luckily no, Dean's car is an LHD one, before they started building the RHD versions later on.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

That's good.  Accurately converting the dash would have been hard.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 15, 2019, 04:52:48 AM

That's good.  Accurately converting the dash would have been hard.

Tell me about it!  :banghead:

I'm trying to do just that with a Tamiya Volvo 850 Estate to model one that I ran myself for 2.5 yrs, and it only comes in LHD form as standard.

They also do the BTCC version of the car which is RHD, but the dash is nothing like the road car. :(

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've got the first colour coats on now, and because of the rather odd assembly schedule I had to do this quite early in the build process. And yes, the interior of the car really was a pale cream colour!  :o

The main bits painted up, I forgot to paint the bonnet at the same time as the body...........
  :banghead:

Interior of the real thing.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

i hope not painting the bonnet at the same time as the body doesn't bite you in the arse.
I try to do them together in order to avoid any possible issues of different shades.
Should be OK with black though.
Fred

PR19_Kit

I'm surprised how many different 'blacks' there are on the full size car, on the interior anyway.

And re your bare metal technique, there's only two items on the car that look as if they'll need that, the 'pony' on the grille and the MONSTER boot (trunk....) lock on the tail. The GT badges in the wings (fenders....) aren't moulded and are supplied as decals.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've started on spraying the various different blacks etc. I've found that not only do Halfords sell Gloss and Matt Black, but they also sell Satin Black too. Even better, they sell a matt varnish, something I've never seen there before.  :thumbsup:

The matt varnish sprayed over the gloss black gives a different finish to the matt black, just what I need.  ;D

Pics later on when it's dried hopefully.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I should have bought shares in Tamiya's masking tape division before I started this job.........

Masking up the main body shell to paint the roof lining the correct shade took MILES of tape, and doing the same to get the floor carpet shade correct for the interior took almost as much!

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 19, 2019, 09:35:12 AM
Even better, they sell a matt varnish, something I've never seen there before.  :thumbsup:

Oh, that's interesting Kit. Next time I go past I shall pop in. It's worth a try
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 20, 2019, 02:17:13 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 19, 2019, 09:35:12 AM
Even better, they sell a matt varnish, something I've never seen there before.  :thumbsup:

Oh, that's interesting Kit. Next time I go past I shall pop in. It's worth a try

It's not displayed in the same rack as the umpteen coloured car paints Chris, it's where they have the other paints, domestic and very high temperature stuff.

I've tried it now and it's pretty good, but I'd call it semi-matt compared to stuff like Humbrol Dull Cote.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

After all the masking business on the interior it looks like this, but there's a small amount of detail masking and painting to do still.

It never ceases to amaze me what stupid names the motor industry chose for their colours, the carpet and parcel shelf shade I've used on this one is called 'Peugeot Antelope Beige', for goodness sake!  :-\

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 20, 2019, 09:12:22 AM

It's not displayed in the same rack as the umpteen coloured car paints Chris, it's where they have the other paints, domestic and very high temperature stuff.

I've tried it now and it's pretty good, but I'd call it semi-matt compared to stuff like Humbrol Dull Cote.

Cheers Kit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Thais was going pretty well, and then............

Having got the main body shell sprayed up in very shiny black paint, I had to paint the rooflining and the interior and the various door posts the pale cream colour that Ford used for the 'leather work'. That went fine so I tested the fit of the floor pan etc. and in the process ended up with the trace of a thumb print on the boot (trunk) lid!  :banghead:

Quite how the lid part hadn't dried when all the rest had I've no idea, but there it is.

Try how I might I can NOT get rid of that thumbprint, I've sanded and sprayed and sanded and sprayed sanded and sprayed till I'm blue in the face (EIGHT coats so far!) but I can still see it.

Anyone any good ideas how to get around this please?

Regards
Kit