DONE @p.4 +++ 1:72 РТАК-30 vintoplan (NATO: Hemlock), "33 Yellow", 1987

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 03, 2019, 12:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

This contribution to the GB will be the attempt to turn a weird idea that I have been carrying along in the back of my mind for some years into hardware. Thankfully I have gathered some donor bits and pieces for this scratch-/kitbashing thing, including mecha stuff from Japan. Work started yesterday evening, slowly, and I immediately ran into size problems when I found out that some of the donor pieces simply won't go together well, due to relative size issues (Italeri's faux Mi-28 kit is HUGE!  :unsure:).

Now plan B has started, and it looks as if I might add another episode to my "Things to make and do with a Hawker Hawk" series, because the fuselage looks promising for what I have in mind...

Besides, don't get confused with the name "Vintoplan" - it's the Soviet term for what the Western world calls now tiltrotor plane. There was, in the late Seventies until the breakdown of the USSR, the Mil Mi-30 project for a tiltrotor transport aircraft. And while my build will have no real resemblance to the project (which went thorugh various evolution stages), it is somewhat the inspiring, historic source:

Dizzyfugu

Hrm, the Hawk idea doesn't work, either. After checking an AH-64 fuselage, a real Mi-28 and a Ka-50 from the stash I think I will invest into a donor kit, an Italeri Ka-52. Now I just have to find one somewhere...  :rolleyes: This will probably also solve the problem of where and what kind of landing gear arrangement is to be used and mounted.

In the meantime, work on the propulsion system and some (*shudder*) wings to mount them has started, slowly.

Tophe

Great surprising project! I wish you will succeed! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. Complex matter - but I already found and ordered a Ka-52 in Italy. Might take some days to materialize here, though, but there are other elements that can be pushed forward for this build in the meantime.

Dizzyfugu

Good news: the Ka-52 arrived quickly! But since I am working on an interim project right now, it might take a couple of days until the Vintoplan project gains momentum again.

McColm

Er try the Airfix  F27 Friendship that works with the V-22 Osprey or Airfix Rotodyne kits. :banghead:

Dizzyfugu

In the meantime, some of the ingredients from the donor bank:

Donor parts... by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Donor parts... by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

:lol:

These are aftermarket 1:144 sets from Bandai for the Gundam universe (directly imported via ev!lbay), in case you want to pimp your robot a little further. This twin tiltrotor pack is quite cool, the size fits well in the 1:72 range, and even the tilting mechanism is functional. You get a set of retractable chainsaw blades, too, but I think I won't used these in this case  :rolleyes:.
Not too pricey, and there's also other stuff available, e. g. rocket launchers, gatling guns, thrusters, etc. While the stuff is rather rugged and a bit toylike, it can find its uses in other contexts, too.

zenrat

Those tiltrotor sets look very usefull.  I've ordered two of them from Hobby Link Japan.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Now that the interim project has been finished, the Vintoplan gains momentum. Work started yesterday with the Ka-52 fuselage, all signs of the original rotor and engine installation have to disappear. The Italeri kit is quite suited for this stunt, because the areas behind the cockpit can be blanked off with styrene sheet, hiding the original engine nacelles' attachment points and the narrow section behind the cockpit.

An attack vintoplan - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

On the other hand, suitable new stub wings (from a pre-painted snap-fit kit) have been sitting in a foamed oven cleaner bath for more than a week, time to check how much of the OOB paint has become loose. I am also hunting in the donor bank for a new tail surfaces.

Really curious how this one eventually turns out...  :angel:

Dizzyfugu

Initial fuselage cosmetic surgery has been finished for now, and it looks surprisingly good for such a massive stunt. Have been working on the cockpit yesterday, and prepared the wings/engine pylons.

Dizzyfugu

Progress is slow, busy at work. Besides, the Ka-52's fuselage halves only fit half-heartedly, as well as the separate nose section. Lots of PSR, and these parts are even OOB!  :-\

Here's a "conceptual rough" of what this is going to develop:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Scary?

Dizzyfugu

Added some WiP pics to previous posts, and did more PSR on the fuselage. I also added a (tall) fin, taken from a vintage box-scale Revell Convair Tradewind:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*