DONE @p.4 +++ 1:72 РТАК-30 vintoplan (NATO: Hemlock), "33 Yellow", 1987

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 03, 2019, 12:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

More progress from yesterday evening, things start to take shape:

An attack vintoplan - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I've added a ventral display adapter, for potential flight scenes, because attaching my standard holder arm might not work properly on this one and lead to structural failure...  :rolleyes: Also not the considerable PSR work in general, but also along the parts that are supposed to fit OOB.

An attack vintoplan - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The rear wings attached - these come from a PZL Iskra and are a little thin, but it's the best donor I could come up with. Span is minimal in order to allow the propellers to rotate properly and leave some distance to the fuselage and the engine pods on the front wing...

An attack vintoplan - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...which come from an 1:100 A-10 and have a slightly bigger span, so that the exhaust gases from the fornt engines won't be ingested by the rear ones. I'll also need some space for ordnance, since the large propeller discs seriously limit anything that fires forward! A true conceptual flaw.

Otherwise, the thing looks just odd. All the time the thing's profile reminds me of a small Piper lightweight aircraft, and the wings of almost equal span look weird, too!

Dizzyfugu

jalles

Wow, that's looking great, and suitably crazy (in a good way)! For some reason I wasn't expecting the four rotor layout but it looks killer. Is it's mission similar to an attack helicopter or something different?

kerick

Its just what the Marines need to keep up with the MV-22s.  :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: jalles on March 16, 2019, 02:54:28 PM
Wow, that's looking great, and suitably crazy (in a good way)! For some reason I wasn't expecting the four rotor layout but it looks killer. Is it's mission similar to an attack helicopter or something different?

Yup. Countering attack/anti-tank helis and slow, low-flying aircraft like the A-10, plus CAS missiosn, with emphasis on the Western European TO.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 17, 2019, 04:41:39 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 17, 2019, 03:14:00 AM
The props/rotors are smaller diameter than I expected.

Yup, but there's 4 of them  ;)

Yes, but i've ordered some thinking they were larger.  Still, they'll work in pairs on small airframes like a Gazelle or Stuka... :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Progress slowed down, since I now move attention to smaller things. Dry-fitted the canopy, and it seems to fit well despite the fuselage mods. I also decided to upgrade the landing gear - instead of the OOB parts I will implant a complete arrangement from an Italeri 1:72 MiG-37, and I will add covers, too. With the wings and the engine nacelles added, I found the original wheels to be a bit small - and I wanted more ground clearance, for the rotating nacelles and for potential ordnance carried ventrally. Thanks to the wider front wings I will be able to add probably two pairs of pylons under the inner wing sections, too, and I will retain the OOB 30mm gun, because it fits conceptually well. Sensors will be added under the nose and on the roof (hence the choice of the Italeri Ka-52, it actually depicts an interim layout of the helicopter, the final sensor configuration differed considerably), and the thimble radome was added because it is part of the illumination radar for 9M120 Ataka anti-tank missiles (or as a potential search radar), as seen on the Mi-28.

Dizzyfugu

More slow progress (pics to follow): the aircraft/thing stands on its own three new legs, and it's looking good - even though the rotating nacelles come VERY close to the ground. Now I know why the V-22 has shoulder-mounted wings...  :-\ Not certain if I take further action, e .g. shortening the nacelles? I also added the first weapon stations under the front wings and selected ordnance, but there's still a lot of small stuff to do.

I also settled upon a livery: this one will receive a rather "normal" Soviet four-tone tactical camouflage scheme with light blue undersides. It's intended to become a prototype aircraft, but for state acceptance trials a "realistic" scheme won't hurt.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Yes, the Ka-52 has serious whiffing potential. I actually came to it as a donor fuselage because I contemplated building a "real" aircraft from it, a kind of Su-25 with a side-by-side cockpit and a radar nose.  ;)

Besides, I spent the last two days with eliminating my own conceptual flaws, caused by the low-set wings. I shortened the nacelles (trimming away the exhaust cover) and bent the MiG-37 main landing gear so far that the tail came higher on the gorund, so far that the nacelles do not touch the ground anymore when in vertical position. Still looks goofy, but better than before. Today I also glued the windscreen in place, and did some cosmetic work like filling the many holes under the cockpit for the original fixed steps, which do not make sense anymore on an aircraft that flies probably twice as fast as a conventional helicopter. I also did further work on the ordnance - this one will probably only carry guided missiles under the wings and the fuselage.