Author Topic: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)  (Read 223781 times)

Offline Rick Lowe

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)
« Reply #3165 on: August 19, 2019, 06:16:44 pm »
Cheap or Free is good!  :thumbsup:
Hey, it's all about 'Reuse/Recycle' nowadays, in't it?

The endless ballpoints that litter the place must have uses, other than just the occasional one or two.
There again, I'm sure I'll find said use *after* I've thrown them all away...

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3166 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:55 pm »
*after* I've thrown them all away...

Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline kerick

« Reply #3167 on: August 19, 2019, 08:02:03 pm »

If you got enough end caps could you just use plain tubing for the nacelles?

Look forward to seeing your take on this idea.  :thumbsup:

The warp nacelle is actually tapered toward the aft end but in smaller scales I doubt anyone would notice it.

Here are two models I kitbashed from various parts. The white one used the nacelles from the Polar Lights kit with spare parts added and the other uses nacelles made from promotional pens.

Just my $0.02, see what you think.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3168 on: August 19, 2019, 08:23:03 pm »
Oh man, those are gorgeous! So many elements of both of those ships that I find highly appealing.  :wub:

Re: the rest. He's actually on the right track; since this is a "mash-up" of two styles I'm not requiring the nacelles to be perfect representations the originals. In fact, I've already started planning using regular ol' cheap ink pen housings. I knew that if I had to resort to cheaper methods that I wouldn't be able to do much with them. I think it will work though! I just need to find the bits to go on the ends... 
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #3169 on: August 20, 2019, 12:15:11 am »
Kerick, those are some awesome builds!

Mirage or Delta Dagger for the Secondary hull? No, F-104 cos there are the wings.
Sorry, widget-spotter here; can't help myself...

Brad, I was thinking if you just used a plug of styrene or putty and rounded it off, that should give you the right shape at the front end - and if you then cut it to length and make the scalloped rear (using the same method) it could potentially prevent you from making ones that are uneven sizes if you cut first and then shape.

Yes, I have been there...

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3170 on: August 20, 2019, 05:59:13 am »

The endless ballpoints that litter the place must have uses, other than just the occasional one or two.

Problem I have is that most of the BIC ballpens I have are hexagonal, which makes them not much use for tubing, nor much else to be honest. Mind you rather like yourself if I do think of a use for them I've thrown them out  :rolleyes:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #3171 on: August 20, 2019, 08:20:42 pm »

Problem I have is that most of the BIC ballpens I have are hexagonal, which makes them not much use for tubing, nor much else to be honest. Mind you rather like yourself if I do think of a use for them I've thrown them out  :rolleyes:

We get BICs in both hex and round, approx 9-10mm dia.
Useful for lots, including cartridges, I guess... hmm...

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3172 on: August 21, 2019, 01:01:14 pm »
We mainly have the rounds ones here which is great as the hexagon crap doesn't do me any favors as nacelles.  ;D   I'm in luck, because I found plenty. More than enough to make 4 pairs of double nacelles. Now I just need to concentrate on the rest. Little rails and stuff... end caps... all that. But uhhh.... this is a future project anyway and I needn't get too bogged down on it for now because I'm not going to be starting it for awhile probably. But, it would serve me to try to remember to keep my eyes peeled as I go about my day to see if I can find things that'll work.  Whatever I don't find, I'll make.  ;D I'll try to keep this low budget.

This leads me to another project I've been thinking about lately. The all parts-stash build. Use nothing but spare parts to build some sort of airplane. I think I have enough junk now. All kinds of wings, weapons, a wee bit of gear and tires here and there, and various other things including a few clear canopies and props and stuff..  Could be fun to dump all that crap out into a pile and see if an aircraft shakes out.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #3173 on: August 21, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »
It's always nice to be able to make a model for free, out of spares.  :thumbsup:

Online zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #3174 on: August 22, 2019, 03:01:28 am »
Parts box GB would be good but everyone has to be honest.  It would be very tempting to "just borrow few a parts" from a complete kit.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will.

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #3175 on: August 22, 2019, 05:01:08 am »
True, or to use parts that aren't destined for the version of the kit you 'fully intend' to make...

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3176 on: August 22, 2019, 08:20:38 am »
I think I'm going to go for it today. I'd like to wrap up the Eurofighter and re-spray the Caravelle first (after sanding) but then I'll grab all me spares, dump them out, and see what I have.

Tune in later for pictures. Hopefully something nice develops. I'm going to use 100% spares for this. The zero money build, too.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3177 on: August 23, 2019, 05:37:27 am »
The zero money build, too.  ;D

Well I'd argue about your definition of "zero money" but I know what you mean  ;) ;D

To be honest I admire the fact that you have both the imagination and skills to even contemplate this  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. I have neither.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3178 on: August 23, 2019, 01:08:21 pm »
Well, I'm learning and getting better at it so I feel like I can try to attempt it. And what better way to learn? Eventually I might be able to envision and cobble together different kits like Dizzy and make all the fixing and puttying work in a fashion that doesn't look like I simply glued different things together.

On that note, I am currently gathering up all these loose parts. Of course, I can't do one thing without do another... as I do this, I'm cleaning and re-organizing as I go so it's going to be awhile but at some point I'll throw it all onto a blanket and snap a picture of it. Then, I'll start playing with it all to see what kind of airplane I can make. I know I could make a few franken-airliners but I was wanting to make something in 1/72 scale, some sort of military plane. But.. who knows what'll happen...

-Sprues McDuck-

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3179 on: August 23, 2019, 04:45:46 pm »
Took longer than I thought but I dragged out all the parts and have whittled down the prospects to a more manageable level. I'll get more into it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I found something that might be the next real world military 1/72 build.

A Phantom!

-Sprues McDuck-