Author Topic: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)  (Read 223790 times)

Offline TheChronicOne

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • -Sprues McDuck-
Re: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)
« Reply #3150 on: August 15, 2019, 08:54:14 am »
Yeah brotha, me too....   I enjoy a good mystery but I typically like solvable ones so this was a nice and tidy resolution. Ahhhhhhhh!  :laugh:  What a relief.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
« Reply #3151 on: August 15, 2019, 02:48:17 pm »
Good news on that mystery, and indeed a lesson to be learned...  ;D ;D ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3152 on: August 15, 2019, 03:31:47 pm »
Hell yeah, you sho' right. I'll be more on the ball next time. My laziness cost me.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #3153 on: August 19, 2019, 01:26:26 am »
That idea is to make a strange *Star Trek Airliner. I want to take a 707 and paint it and make it like the original USS Enterprise from the 1960's show. Paint it all the grey color and apply a bunch of the window decals across the fuselage (but not in a row; in the same type of staggered "random" appearance as on the side of the E.) then use the long red stripe with the yellow deltas as the cheatlines. Then.... for the engines, use warp nacelles. Could do this a number or ways... if I use smaller ones I could double them up like was on the B-52 or if I use larger ones, I could simply shorten them so they don't look goofy. 

Hey, Brad - looks like y'all been havin' a whole lotta fun since I last caught up with your blog.

There's some nice work going on here.

WRT your idea above, I once saw a pic from a model show which was a B-52 with 4X ST:TOS nacelles fitted on the pylons and the caption "These SLEPs are getting ridiculous!"  ;D

Keep up with the great work!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3154 on: August 19, 2019, 07:10:25 am »
Many thanks!!

I tried to find a picture of that Star Trek B-52. I'd like to gather inspiration from that. Bad news for the build, though....  Star Trek model kits are NOT cheap in the way old airplane kits are. I can find a little airplane and have it mailed to my house for under $10 but even the smallest little Star Trek ship is rarely going to be less than $20 plus shipping so this project is looking rather expensive. I spent a little time looking around for stuff yesterday and yikes.....     The decals I can almost muster but if I want warp nacelles for engines I'm either going to need to plant a money tree or ... do something....       I considered switching planes but the 707 is OF THE ERA and the perfect match for late 60's. I could go with a 737-200 and have twin nacelles but then the 737 isn't iconic like the 707 and I won't be having none of that. I'm about few up with 737 shenanigans right now anyway with my current stalled Saudia affair (just waiting for next months check so I can buy a tool for it.)

But anyway!  ;D      PLans for today are working on the quad Caravelle. It's getting black paint then I'm going to get the cheatline/windows transfers on over the black to simulate the windows. Then, I'll mask that over and spray it up in NMF finish. I'm turning the entire bird into a shiny metal arrow.

-Sprues McDuck-

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3155 on: August 19, 2019, 11:13:15 am »
So much fun stuff goin on with the model building right now. It's hard to keep it all straight. I have so many projects I want to do like look further into this Star Trek 707 milarkey and dig through the stash to find the next military build to start. I WAS going to an FW-190 but the paint job is rather complicated and I can't make my mind up on it.

Time for a general update about other things. I finished the F-111 a couple days ago. For being so infuriating there for awhile it turned out to be one of the quicker and painless builds there toward the end. I think because I allowed myself to just throw caution to the wind and get on with. Sometimes the builds I hurry through wind up being some of the best ones or at least decent enough that the problems I skipped aren't an issue. So here's that, check out the thread in the Aircrafts forum of the current projects forum group.

Scratched an itch with that one. I'm a fan of the Aardvark and it's really nice to have one built up finally!

The Typhoon is starting to really chug along. I'm using a bit of thick gray paint to fill in a bit of a gap on the wing then I'm going to paint. Should be any ol' time for that. You can find the thread for this one in the same place as the F-111.

Lastly, the Quad Caravelle. I made a breakthrough the other day in the PSR process which has allowed me to start painting it. I'm afraid this process might take awhile because I'm not thrilled with the finish. Was going to race Dizzy to see who could wrap up our quads first but I'm already throwing in the towel.  ;D   Even if I didn't want to sand and do more coats, I'd have to wait no less than 2 days until I could gloss over the decals, which is a process I'm going to have to repeat. I'll get more into detail about this in the thread for it which is in the Engines More or Less GB forum.

-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #3156 on: August 19, 2019, 11:53:40 am »
Many thanks!!

I tried to find a picture of that Star Trek B-52. I'd like to gather inspiration from that. Bad news for the build, though....  Star Trek model kits are NOT cheap in the way old airplane kits are. I can find a little airplane and have it mailed to my house for under $10 but even the smallest little Star Trek ship is rarely going to be less than $20 plus shipping so this project is looking rather expensive. I spent a little time looking around for stuff yesterday and yikes.....     The decals I can almost muster but if I want warp nacelles for engines I'm either going to need to plant a money tree or ... do something....       I considered switching planes but the 707 is OF THE ERA and the perfect match for late 60's. I could go with a 737-200 and have twin nacelles but then the 737 isn't iconic like the 707 and I won't be having none of that. I'm about few up with 737 shenanigans right now anyway with my current stalled Saudia affair (just waiting for next months check so I can buy a tool for it.)

But anyway!  ;D      PLans for today are working on the quad Caravelle. It's getting black paint then I'm going to get the cheatline/windows transfers on over the black to simulate the windows. Then, I'll mask that over and spray it up in NMF finish. I'm turning the entire bird into a shiny metal arrow.

Found these:

http://www.modular-models.com/products/1000-scale/Parts/TOS/nacelles-pylons/Donovan/TOS-donovan-class-nacelles.html

They're shorter than the E's units. but there are also ones that are longer.

You'll still need the clear end caps, though.

HTH

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3157 on: August 19, 2019, 12:07:14 pm »
Ohhhh! Shorter is good. Thank you! Being how skinny they are, the longer ones would just look strange hanging from the wings. They would look less like engines and more like missiles of some sort. Those Donovans or even the shorter ones would work, depending. I'm assuming those are 1/1000 which would be perfect.

I actually have some 1/1000 nacelles somewhere and even some of the end cap pieces and the like... I should dig them out and my 707 kit and see how things start to line up. It's just..... I need MORE so I'd still have to buy something but then again I'd like to investigate the possibilty of scratch building them as well and not have to spend a dime. Of course, i need to get into my parts stash and see what I have. Another option I'd like to explore is typing in "junk lots" to the Star Trek category on eBay and see what comes up. All this type of stuff right here is part of the fun.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #3158 on: August 19, 2019, 01:25:38 pm »
You're going to put Starship engines on a 707????  :o :o :o :o :o :o
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3159 on: August 19, 2019, 01:35:52 pm »
Hell yeah!!! It's going to be some nutty stuff!  ;D 

A cosmic mash-up of two icons from the 1960's. Enterprise NCC-1701 and Star Trek and the Boeing 707. Paint it grey like the ship from the show and give it the red cheatline and yellow delta then put starship windows on the side like on the space ship, not in a straight row like an airliner.   Engines will be paired warp nacelles, like the B-52.

Oh hey, It just occurred to me this would qualify for the current GB because of going from four to eight engines.  :wacko:

So, it's just another bit of weirdness like racing gliders and fighter-liner jets.  ;D  Perhaps more so.... could be travelling into "novelty" range.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline kerick

« Reply #3160 on: August 19, 2019, 02:09:17 pm »
The Polar Lights Enterprise kit includes two sets of warp nacelles which might work depending on the scale of the airliner.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #3161 on: August 19, 2019, 04:19:48 pm »
The Polar Lights Enterprise kit includes two sets of warp nacelles which might work depending on the scale of the airliner.

Not too sure about that - the original 1/1000 Enterprise kit I have has a couple of different nose caps and end caps - pilot and series versions, but they use the same nacelle parts.
There again, with the plethora of kits out there now, you could be right.  :unsure:

If you got enough end caps could you just use plain tubing for the nacelles?

Would you need to pair them? Or would singles work better, seeing as the 707 only had the 4 engines?

Look forward to seeing your take on this idea.  :thumbsup:

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3162 on: August 19, 2019, 04:43:12 pm »
There's truth to it. Indeed, there are so many boxings... hard to keep track of, but I actually had that kit and it does have two sets of nacelles along with all the various end pieces to do the different ships, "The Cage" the second pilot, or the "regular" one or whatever. Indeed, being 1/1000 they are too large, however. They could be cut down and made shorter and probably would work but I kind of dig the idea of having four sets of pairs of smaller nacelles. 1/2500 would seem to be just right. I have built one of them and the size would work well with the 707 which would be 1/144 scale. Were it 1/72, the 1/1000 stuff would work much better but I'm rolling with the small scale here. I have a 1/72 707 but it's slated for other things and they're huge, one is all I can tolerate.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #3163 on: August 19, 2019, 04:57:46 pm »
Oh, ok - I sit corrected!  ;D

And if you're going for 1/2500 size you could use sprue or small tubing, maybe?

I saw once where someone used 1/48 sensor pods for 1/2500 warp nacelles... but that's not anywhere near the pattern you're looking for.

Yeah, there is a limit to the number of large planes you can display... sometimes keeping to the 'One True Scale' can be a bit demanding...  ;D

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3164 on: August 19, 2019, 05:24:11 pm »
Yeah brotha, I gave up the notion of keeping it all in 1/72 and decided to partition the civilian non-military stuff to 1/144. Win some, lose some.  ;D

On the other note, I tracked down some old cheap fountain pens that I can disassemble for nacelles.  :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-