Author Topic: Zenrat's Flying Circus  (Read 243582 times)

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Zenrat's Flying Circus
« Reply #3360 on: July 19, 2020, 01:55:08 am »
Try Mojave, where Bert Rutan's crew are, LOTS of airliners there.

35° 3'50.70"N 118° 8'46.00"W
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Online zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #3361 on: July 19, 2020, 02:35:09 am »
Thanks Kit.  Lots of airliners indeed.  You could have a field day doing 1:1 kit bashing.
Also, there is a Draken and a pair of Cargomasters.

Having finished and photographed the Seafire today I obviously grabbed something new - a Hobby Boss Mil Mi-4.
What a delight!  Especially compared to the Matchbox-Revell Victor i'm fighting for the prototype GB.  Detail is crisp, fit is exquisite and it's well designed with positive locating parts.
Only complaints I have so far are ejector pin marks on the interior which will be visible if built with the doors open, attachment points slightly on the large side (but only slightly, i've seen much much worse - this is nit picking), and the need to add a blanking plate and an interior door to avoid seeing daylight through the engine vent louvres (beautifully moulded).
This will be built in civilian colours.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 02:39:29 am by zenrat »
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

My name is Commander William Riker.  Take me to your women.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3362 on: July 19, 2020, 05:17:22 am »
Is it just me, or do not the two windows, or whatever they are, above the number 3 on that Mi-4 look like a couple of eyes glancing downwards ?  :angel:

Decals my @r$e!

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #3363 on: July 19, 2020, 06:52:05 am »

Is it just me, or do not the two windows, or whatever they are, above the number 3 on that Mi-4 look like a couple of eyes glancing downwards ?  :angel:

Those darned Russians, they've always got their eyes on you.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #3364 on: July 19, 2020, 06:55:08 am »

Thanks Kit.  Lots of airliners indeed.  You could have a field day doing 1:1 kit bashing.

I went there once, on the very day that Bert Rutan rolled out his first Spaceship One. We couldn't understand why the place was mobbed out.  ;D

That airliner graveyard was even larger then, all sorts of older jets, including a couple of Convair Corronados.  :wub: :wub: :wub:

Regards
Kit

Offline kerick

« Reply #3365 on: July 19, 2020, 11:21:41 am »

I went there once, on the very day that Bert Rutan rolled out his first Spaceship One. We couldn't understand why the place was mobbed out.  ;D

That airliner graveyard was even larger then, all sorts of older jets, including a couple of Convair Corronados.  :wub: :wub: :wub:

Its going to get much bigger soon if this virus crap doesn't stop soon. Might be able to buy one and turn it into a nice house!
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Online zenrat

« Reply #3366 on: July 20, 2020, 04:00:16 am »
Not much done today other than paint the seats of the Mercedes and sand the Victomic some more.
I have applied alclad chrome to the Mercs wheels and grille (forgetting the bumpers - grrrrr) and next job on it is to paint the tyres.  A steady hand day is needed.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline joncarrfarrelly

• Bertie Bassett
  • What-IF SIG
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #3367 on: July 23, 2020, 08:24:11 pm »

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated crap
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3368 on: July 23, 2020, 09:13:32 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

It does!  Check it out, the "03" looks like a mouth blowing out a puff of smoke. 

"Surprised helo puffed too hard!"   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Online zenrat

« Reply #3369 on: July 24, 2020, 02:47:04 am »

Hmm, Moon chopper.  Maybe along these lines.

;D ;D ;D

It does!  Check it out, the "03" looks like a mouth blowing out a puff of smoke. 

"Surprised helo puffed too hard!"   ;D

Maybe whatever it's been smoking would explain why it appears to be about to land in a pond.

Nothing done today.  Fridays I work 9 to 2 after which I went to the chiropractor for a routine adjustment followed by grocery shopping.  I managed to get everything we need so I shouldn't have to leave the premises until I go to work on Monday.

Fred

Online zenrat

« Reply #3370 on: July 27, 2020, 04:53:14 am »
Today.

Detail painting the Mi-4 cockpit plus fitting the crew's seats and organising some crew.  I'm using elheim figures white metal helicopter crew - i figure it is going to need nose weight anyway (hope the UC legs are up to it).

And the Lavochkin and MiG are ready for paint.
La-5 & MiG 3 WIP 27-07-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
They are both going to be PDRV ww2 aircraft dating from the period when they bore whitetails as a recognition aid.  The MiG is getting a shark mouth.
Fred

Online zenrat

« Reply #3371 on: July 28, 2020, 05:08:17 am »
MiG and Lavochkin moved into the house - the flat white I use as undercoat is sensitive to damp and cold and is refusing to dry even when put in my dehydrator while I am in the shed (I can't leave it running while I am not there and it is too noisy to run in the house).
I am hopeful that sitting overnight in the spare bedroom (warmest room in the house) directly under the heating vent will accelerate the drying process.

The first of the 60 Chevy utes is on the final lap.  Foil on the windscreen and rear window surrounds is next and then I can fit the "glass".

Fred

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #3372 on: July 28, 2020, 11:16:39 am »
I am hopeful that sitting overnight in the spare bedroom (warmest room in the house) directly under the heating vent will accelerate the drying process.

Hot water cupboard?

Online zenrat

« Reply #3373 on: July 29, 2020, 04:38:16 am »

Hot water cupboard?

Don't have one.  The hot water service is outside.  Aren't all houses that way?  :-\
Paint is dryer but still tacky in a couple of areas.  I reckon painting can start at the weekend.

Hobby boss Mi-4 is still a joy to work on.  I turn to it when the Victomic gets to me.  Today I discovered some previously un-noticed mould separation lines on the lower fuselage.  A few swipes with a sanding stick got rid of them followed by some light scribing to reinstate a few panel lines.

Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3374 on: July 29, 2020, 06:27:14 am »

Hobby boss Mi-4 is still a joy to work on.  I turn to it when the Victomic gets to me.

It's nice to have a kit like that to work on when you have an absolute "B" on the go at the same time. I find Tamiya or new tool Airfix fit the bill nicely.
Decals my @r$e!