Author Topic: Zenrat's Flying Circus  (Read 180281 times)

Offline zenrat

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Currently on double secret probation.
Re: Zenrat's Flying Circus
« Reply #2670 on: July 19, 2019, 02:10:14 am »
That is actually a Trumpeter 1/72 aircraft display stand.  I have a three of them.  That one is the one I keep specifically for use during construction.

Of course I only buy them because they have a Wyvern on the box.   ;)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-09915-display-stand--218710

Closed up the 222 today.  The wheels are just propped in place but I will be posing it with turned steering.
SdKfz 222 WIP 19-07-2019 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Other than that the Spit has been daubed with filler, the 109 has been primed, the ziking engines got another coat of paint, some figures got painted and the nose of the Privateer got filled with a mixture of PVA and lead.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:18:14 am by zenrat »
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2671 on: July 19, 2019, 06:12:04 am »
Ah, right, cheers mate  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

« Reply #2672 on: July 23, 2019, 04:17:15 am »
I masked the undersides of Privateer today (previously painted Vallejo USAF light grey).
I used some blue Scotch masking tape labelled as being specifically for delicate materials and being able to be left in place for up to 60 days.
And then as I finished I remembered that this was the same tape I used in the first attempt to mask the Sea Witch hull and which took a lot of paint with it when I removed it...
Oh well.  Too late to do anything now.  Fingers crossed.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2673 on: July 23, 2019, 05:51:21 am »
I'll cross my toes for you mate, best of luck  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #2674 on: July 23, 2019, 06:03:01 am »
Same here!!! Hey, for once, I might have some advice for a change. Leave that tape on a few extra days to let the paint underneat cure some more. Will it work? Who the hell knows!! HAS it worked? Yes! lol  (I bailed myself out once by doing this.)

I built that Spit not too long ago myself but I made it the ol' regular real world scheme. It turned out pretty nice. Looks like a Spitfire. I've heard tell that the kit is wankery, though.
-Sprues McDuck-

Online ChernayaAkula

• Deutscher Meister 2011 & 2012 - BVB 09!
« Reply #2675 on: July 23, 2019, 04:58:27 pm »
<...>
Closed up the 222 today.  The wheels are just propped in place but I will be posing it with turned steering.
<...>

Looks kinda cute like that without the mudguards.  :lol:

Hmmm, swap the rear wheels for a half-track assembly as on the M2 half-track maybe?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Offline joncarrfarrelly

• Bertie Bassett
  • What-IF SIG
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2676 on: July 23, 2019, 05:42:49 pm »
<...>
<...>

Looks kinda cute like that without the mudguards.  :lol:

Hmmm, swap the rear wheels for a half-track assembly as on the M2 half-track maybe?

Marmon-Herrington DHT-5

Citroen-Kegresse P28

https://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/engins-blindes/automitrailleuses?task=view&id=793
 ;D ;D
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Online ChernayaAkula

• Deutscher Meister 2011 & 2012 - BVB 09!
« Reply #2677 on: July 23, 2019, 08:44:56 pm »
Neat!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Offline zenrat

« Reply #2678 on: July 24, 2019, 02:54:43 am »
Brad C - the plan I have for the Spit is a subtle paint whiff.  I am awaiting decals to arrive.

Moritz - it does look cute.  I was toying with, on a second one, updating it by fitting modern bigger wheels and an up to date weapons station.

Today I painted the top colour on the Privateer.  It hadn't dried enough to de-mask by the time it cam to go inside and cook tea so the tape will stay on another day.
Fingers still crossed.
Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2679 on: July 24, 2019, 05:51:49 am »
I like the 222 and am thinking of one in the 50'60's fitted with Swingfires like the Ferrets had
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

« Reply #2680 on: July 25, 2019, 03:38:58 am »
Apart from a few speckles of minor acne the tape came off and left the paint behind.  Yay!
Privateer Express WIP 25-07-2019 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And here's the 222 with guards and the turret in place.
Sd.kfz 222 WIP 25-07-19 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2681 on: July 25, 2019, 05:46:58 am »
Both looking good  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #2682 on: July 26, 2019, 12:05:58 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline zenrat

« Reply #2683 on: July 27, 2019, 05:06:16 am »
Thanks guys.

The Privateer is going to get remasked as i'm not happy with the demarkation line.  I tried the play doh worm technique for the first time - it's suitablely soft but it's wiggley and I wanted it straight so i'm going to mask the lower surfaces and give it a hard straght line.

Having taken delivery of the transfers for the Spitfire I started painting it.  The bottom of the fuselage and of one wing is now sky.

Me 109 is primed and ready to have lost panel lines rescribed.  ISTR they had a panel line along the top of the fuselage.  I will have to check this and also look to see if there was one along the bottom.  Mind you, as it's a whiff there is no reason why it can'r have both (or neither).

And I spent time on the Sea Witch.  I've got to the stage where I can assemble and paint all the bits that attach to the decks.  Deckhouses, hatch covers, ventilators, that sort of stuff.  I glued the multi part items together.  I must say the instructions for this thing are not clear.  I hope they improve when they get to the rigging...

I had a good score on Evil-Bay today.  A Bandai 1/72 YS-11.  It's one of the original releases moulded in white with transfers for Piedmont and All Nippon Airways.  I already have one but it its the later coloured plastic version (Yellow or White & Blue IIRC) with Japanese Coast Guard markings.  These don't come up very often so i'm pleased I "won" it.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 05:51:21 am by zenrat »
Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2684 on: July 27, 2019, 07:19:37 am »

Me 109 is primed and ready to have lost panel lines rescribed.  ISTR they had a panel line along the top of the fuselage.  I will have to check this and also look to see if there was one along the bottom.  Mind you, as it's a whiff there is no reason why it can'r have both (or neither).

That's what I've always read re the panel line along the top of the fuselage, but I can't recollect any of those articles mention the underside, but it would seem logical given the method of construction that it would have had.
Decals my @r$e!