Author Topic: Zenrat's Flying Circus  (Read 233589 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Armour: The Gods of War love it!
Re: Zenrat's Flying Circus
« Reply #2550 on: May 25, 2019, 05:40:00 am »
Both looking good, Fred! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #2551 on: May 25, 2019, 06:42:41 am »
Back about 12 years ago when I would donate plasma to earn a little money...  I stopped going because the people they had were LOUSY at sticking. (in recent years the quality has gone way up and the problems went away)  buuuuuut....    I remember one time they infiltrated BOTH arms. It hurt like piss and then I got two huge bruises that looked like I had a mortar go off near myself. I kinda looked like a junky, too. I wasn't very happy about that one. Like I said, though, they changed management, etc. and things got a loooooot better when I went back for a time a few years later.  :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Flyer

« Reply #2552 on: May 25, 2019, 05:16:05 pm »
I like the look of all the early Yak jets, what's the plan with your 23?
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #2553 on: May 25, 2019, 05:42:23 pm »
I like the look of all the early Yak jets, what's the plan with your 23?

I'm not sure.  RW is tempting as the classic Soviet Red stars & bort # on NMF always looks good.  But I haven't done a new PDRV build for a while so it might get immediate post war "V-star" roundels.  I did a Yak 15 as PDRV navy - blue over white so it can sit next to that.

Back about 12 years ago when I would donate plasma to earn a little money...  I stopped going because the people they had were LOUSY at sticking. (in recent years the quality has gone way up and the problems went away)  buuuuuut....    I remember one time they infiltrated BOTH arms. It hurt like piss and then I got two huge bruises that looked like I had a mortar go off near myself. I kinda looked like a junky, too. I wasn't very happy about that one. Like I said, though, they changed management, etc. and things got a loooooot better when I went back for a time a few years later.  :thumbsup:

They won't take my blood here because I lived in the UK during the "Mad Cow" years.  P**ses me off because I am happy to donate it.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

My name is Commander William Riker.  Take me to your women.

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #2554 on: May 26, 2019, 05:50:03 am »
You'd think after so many decades...............    Coincidentally I saw yesterday were Japan is finally allowing U.S. beef into the nation. They stopped because of a mad cow scare - 16 years ago.  (IIRC) 
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2555 on: May 26, 2019, 05:56:56 am »
I had one labelled 2019 season.  I have no idea if we are ahead or behind you or if you have your own vaccines.
I don't mind getting stuck as long as I don't have to watch.  Blood samples are the worst when they stick you and then have to attach the click on reservoir.

I think it's a world wide vaccine, but I'm not sure. Anyway I'm of an age where I get the one that is for various strains rather then the standard "we hope this is the strain that actually reaches the UK this year" jab. It's all a bit of a gamble.

I'm quite fascinated by the blood coming out and will watch that, but not the needle going in. Similarly whilst having a couple of internal procedures I've been fascinated by looking at my insides whilst the Doc has been poking around. Takes my mind of it. Indeed in UK hospitals now they give the patient a separate screen so he can see what the doctor is seeing and doing if they so wish.

I do like your Roller Fred  :thumbsup: and as you say there is something quite classic about those early Soviet jet schemes.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline rickshaw

« Reply #2556 on: May 26, 2019, 06:07:05 am »
When I had sedation for dental surgery the anaesthetist repeatedly failed to find a vein, stabbing at my arm like as senator on the ides of March.  That was fun.  A nurse pushed him aside and did it first time.

Nurses and paramedics are usually the best at sticking people.  Way back in '04, when I was going through the US Army's Combat Lifesaver Course, and they were still allowed to stick casualties, our instructor (a combat medic) was very impressed with my technique, having watched numerous civilian medic sticks in the back of a bouncing ambulance enroute to hospital

When my eldest was a regular hospital admittee, I used to tell the quacks that they got "Two go's and then it's time to call the Registrar!"   They used to give me a dirty look and usually, when they failed they were surprised that I meant what I said.  "No jabs!" Which meant, literally, "no jabs!".   Best Doctor he had was an African, just out from Africa.  He carried out the procedure exactly as advertised.  Called out, "needle!" and everything when he had a needle ready to make his jab.   I suppose he learnt all that in Africa where they have HIV is rife.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #2557 on: May 29, 2019, 04:37:09 am »
Today, having been summonsed as a witness, I went to court.
When I say "went to court" what I mean is I sat outside of one for three hours before being sent home when the accused changed his plea to guilty.
Given that the CCTV footage provided as evidence by Australian Post clearly showed him writing his name and address on a form, handing it to me and then stealing the (off duty policewoman's) purse on his way out of the shop one would think that he could have pled guilty in the first place and saved us all time.
But he is obviously an idiot and his legal representative either incompetent, inexperienced or overworked.
Being sent home meant I had the rest of the day free so after some grocery shopping I painted moms more fiddley bits on the Armoured Car, touched up the Penguin, painted the hull of the dinghy & cleared its flying surfaces, sanded the Rotodyne and put transfers on the Yak.
Yak 23 WIP 29-05-2019 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I also put on the stencils Special Hobby supplied with the kit.  There were nowhere near as many as on a Phantom so it wasn't too much of a chore.
Those are post WW2 PDRV roundels.  They were used from the end of that conflict in 1946 until the yellow star was removed to prevent confusion with USAF markings during the Korean police action in the fifties.
PDRV by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2558 on: May 29, 2019, 05:51:20 am »
Did you get a paid days leave to attend court ? The only time I had to attend as a witness I got a couple of days off and then rather like your guy the accused changed their plea once they'd heard all the evidence against them  ;)

I like the way your PDVR roundels have developed  :thumbsup: The National Flag reminds me of something ??
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #2559 on: May 29, 2019, 07:57:29 am »
Based loosely on the Eureka Flag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Flag

The Federation Flag was based on it & is the Flag of the Royal Australian Marines ;)

Offline zenrat

« Reply #2560 on: May 30, 2019, 05:05:59 am »
Did you get a paid days leave to attend court ? The only time I had to attend as a witness I got a couple of days off and then rather like your guy the accused changed their plea once they'd heard all the evidence against them  ;)

I like the way your PDVR roundels have developed  :thumbsup: The National Flag reminds me of something ??

Because it was "post office business" I will be paid for the day.

Fred

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2561 on: May 30, 2019, 06:00:11 am »

Because it was "post office business" I will be paid for the day.

Good  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2562 on: May 30, 2019, 06:01:23 am »
Based loosely on the Eureka Flag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Flag

The Federation Flag was based on it & is the Flag of the Royal Australian Marines ;)

Right, I knew I'd seen something like it. Cheers  :thumbsup:

Not seen that RAM flag before......I like it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #2563 on: May 30, 2019, 09:51:24 am »
Just be aware, Chris, that, although the Federation Flag is real, the Royal Australian Marines are a figment of my imagination & have never existed in our reality any where, any time.

I chose the Fed Flag for the RAM Ensign because it looks similar to the RN White Ensign being flown on RAN ships until 1 March 1967, when the Australian White Ensign we now fly was raised for the first time (RW), but sufficiently different to suit a separate arm of the Senior Service.

In my time-line the Australian White Ensign, as it is now, was first raised in 1913, when the Admiralty lost out to pressure for greater Australian (& Canadian) independence in naval matters.

Offline zenrat

« Reply #2564 on: May 31, 2019, 03:28:00 am »
Much as I would welcome discussion of the Eureka Flag, it's use as our national flag and the inevitability of an Australian republic this is not the place.

Last day at work for two weeks today.  Woohoo!
Not going anywhere and no appointments so I should be able to get some work done on some builds.
Second week is the 1 week build and the middle weekend is both Model Expo and Comic-Con.

I was planning to get some time in thisarvo but the neighbours dropped in to find out if I knew how to make paper hats.

Tomorrow we are going to Werribee Open Range Zoo.  Mrs z has organised for us to feed the giraffes their lunch.
Obviously as they are Australian giraffes they are carnivorous, only eating live prey, and have venomous saliva...
 ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 05:35:04 am by zenrat »
Fred