Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Hurricane Mk.1 'SCW'  (Read 1086326 times)

Online SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 11:54:31 am »
With increasing USAF involvement in Vietnam the 44th AFS (Aggressor Fighter Squadron) was reactivated during 1964 and re-equipped with ex-Swedish Air Force Saab J29F's to simulate the MiG-17.

Carrying Falcon training rounds this 44th AFS J29F climbs away from Ash Fork AFB.

This 44th AFS Instructor Pilot gives his Phantom F-4C pupils a hard time during a particularly intense DACM sortie over North Arizona.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:58:14 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2008, 11:23:57 am »
Finnish 'Barrels'

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:45:00 pm by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 10:09:46 am »
SEPECAT Panther GR.1 - No.8 Squadron, RAF Middle East Command, 1978

The loss of the TSR.2 programme was followed all too quickly by the cancellation of the F-111K order and then the French withdrawl from the AFVG programme. For a short while it looked like the Panavia consortium would fill the gap with the MRCA but the withdrawl of Canada and the Netherlands during the feasability studies and then finally Italy and Germany just before the formal programme launch left the UK Government with almost no options in their ill-fated search for a Canberra replacement.

However, quietly and without fuss, the Anglo-French SEPECAT consortium were progressing rather well with the Jaguar and proposed an essentially scaled-up design to fulfill the RAF's strike/attack requirement.

Using airframe knowledge gained from the Jaguar programme, plus the excellent Rolls-Royce Spey engines from the Phantom F-4K and F-4M programme, SEPECAT offered an in-service date of 1974 and the UK government accepted this proposal and negotiated a 70/30 work-split for BAC due to an initial lack of interest from France although France would later also adopt this excellent design.

Christened Panther, the prototype first flew in September 1970 (just two years after the Jaguar) and prototype and pre-production testing quickly progressed mainly due to just having one end-user. The Panther GR.1 entered service with the Royal Air Force in June 1975 when No.6 squadron converted to the 'big cat' from Phantoms. Total production of the initial GR.1 version reached 220 and SEPECAT also produced 130 Panther F.2's interceptors (re-enginned with the 30,000lb thrust class Rolls-Royce Teifi) for use by the UK air defence squadrons.

The Chinese 'Flying Leopard' was released at Combat ACE recently and it's a cracker. What with the overall look of a pumped-up Jaguar and the Phantom style canopy it just screamed 'RAF Tornado substitute' at me but it just might have been 'put the kettle on I'm gasping'.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:15:11 pm by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 01:51:24 pm »
The more I think of this I prefer the title of British Peoples' Republic Air Force! Here's some MiG-19's of No.5 squadron BPRAF (nurse my medicene please).

A spiffing Czech' S-105 (MiG-19S) was released recently and I've just oversprayed the Czech' markings and added BPRAF markings and my 'Communist' No.5 squadron nose bars. I quite like the Soviet style two-digit numbers and moved them from the nose to the fin (makes a nice change from letters).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:41:05 pm by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 08:26:25 am »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 06:29:08 am »
Gloster Gremlin F.1's (licence-built MiG-21F's) of the 54th Fighter Regiment, British Peoples' Republic Air Force.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2008, 06:31:55 am »
Gloster Gremlin FG.2's (licenece-built MiG-21MF's) of the 44th Fighter Regiment, British Peoples' Republic Air Force.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2008, 11:43:30 pm »

A new Desert Camo for the F-4C, D and E was released recently and it got me thinking that it might look good with Soviet 'Top Gunski' markings! The nose marking is out of me own head and I've used the stock USAF scheme as well.

Yes - I know I'm twisted but, in my defence, I am reading 'Red Eagles' at the moment...

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2008, 03:42:39 am »
With only a handful of clandestinely acquired Phantoms the Soviet Fighter Weapons and Tactics Regiment used a variety of home-grown aircraft to supplement them, including the MiG-21MF.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 09:26:56 am »
A recent release for the 'Strike Fighters' series of flight sims is the Supermarine Swift FR.5 by a little group known as the "A-Team Skunkworks" and I've added some No.2 squadron markings to create a 'real world' FR.5 and some No.45 and No.58 squadron markings to create 'what if' FGA.6's. Pedants will note that all use Hunter serial numbers!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2009, 08:42:12 am »
General Dynamics F-111K - No.6 Squadron, Royal Air Force

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:55:09 pm by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 11:00:06 am »
General Dynamics Merlin S.1 (F-111K) - No.617 'Dambusters' Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1969

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:52:16 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 01:14:26 pm »

Desert Storm

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 02:31:33 pm »

The final scheme worn by the RAF's F-111K's was an overall grey scheme as illustrated by this No.9 squadron Merlin GR.1A.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 02:37:55 pm »
The F-111B entered service with the Royal Navy in 1970 as the Merlin FRS.3 and served until 1992. The last carrier borne deployment was by 899NAS aboard HMS Ark Royal during the 1991 Gulf War who then operated from Turkey patrolling the no-fly zone during the initial phase of Operation Provide Comfort before being replaced by the Tomcat FRS.2's of 892NAS.

Highly unlikely I know but the F-111B was released earlier today and I just had to whif it in a Royal Navy stylee.