Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Tu-98A 'Backfin'  (Read 979723 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 04:20:31 am »
F-104G Starfighters of No.14 squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force.

The New Zealand 'All Blacks' came to the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff yesterday and it was a tale of two halves with Wales edging the first half but with New Zealand giving us a bit of a lesson in the second half. Anyway, I'm using these Autumn internationals to give me a theme and the Kiwi roundels will get a well deserved airing. I think I've got the orientation of the Kiwis right but let me know if I haven't.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:53:13 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 08:56:29 am »
Hawker Hunters of No.75 squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force.

The Hunter is a real favourite of mine in this game/sim as it flies real nice, just a bit underpowered, and the stock RAF camo skin is a beaut! BTW I can't believe the Hunter didn't serve in the RNZAF!?

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 11:10:00 am »
As part of the joint ANZUKUS force committed to Vietnam the RNZAF deployed two squadrons of Vought A-7B Corsairs to the conflict in 1970. These refurbished ex-US Navy machines served until well into the 1990's before being replaced by ex-USAF F-16C's.

A bombed-up No.75 squadron machine based at Phan Rang waits for the order to launch.

Armed with Snakeyes and Shrikes a No.14 squadron Corsair heads North with a No.75 machine for company.

One of my favourite skins this. It's a Portugese Camo done by Mike1 (only suitable for the add-on Corsair and not the stock Corsair) and is perfect for SEAC operations.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:13:23 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 02:47:05 pm »
When Australia purchased the Mirage IIIO Dassault wasted no time in offering New Zealand the same aircraft as a Hunter replacement.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2008, 04:05:57 am »
SEPECAT Jaguars of No.79 squadron, Royal Australian Air Force.

I've been using the Welsh Autumn Rugby internationals as inspiration and it was Australia's turn to visit the Millennium stadium in Cardiff yesterday. Wales narrowly won by 21-18 but taking a Southern Hemisphere scalp is always a cause for celebration! Anyway, today will see a few more Australian 'what-ifs' and next up will be Aussie Hunters.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2008, 06:12:13 am »
Prior to the Jaguar No.79 squadron operated the Hawker Hunter F.6 and FGA.9 and deployed to Ubon in Thailand as a response to a threat to Thailand from across the Laotian border during the 1962 emergency.

In company with a RNZAF Corsair a RAAF Hunter prowls the Laotian border.

This No.79 Sqd Hunter 'kicks up some dust' in a straffing attack on a Laotian convoy.

During their deployment to Ubon No.79 squadrons Hunters adopted colourful red and gold fuselage markings.

Offline SPINNERS

Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 07:49:35 am »
De Havilland Sprite F.1 - No.222 Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, 1956

By late 1952 it was obvious that the Supermarine Swift was in deep trouble and the RAF were anxious not to rely solely on the Hawker Hunter which, itself, was experiencing some difficult teething troubles. Whilst the earlier Sabre purchase was greeted with much enthusiasm by the ailing RAF the UK Government were keen to reduce the already crippling debt to the US Government and sought another 'off the shelf' stop-gap to supplement the Sabres and Hunters.

The Dassault Mystere IV was briefly considered but France would only accept payment in US dollars so in 1953 the UK Government signed a deal with the Swedish Government for the supply of 200 Saab J29 Tunnans to be licence-built by de Havilland who had been an integral part of the J29 programme since October 1945 when the first de Havilland Goblin turbojet was delivered and de Havilland continued to assist by helping Saab with the later Ghost turbojet plus the pressurised cockpit, bubble canopy, gun installation and fuel system.

The timing allowed the RAF to benefit from two improvements in the already mature J29 programme - an afterburner plus the improved 'dogtooth' wing of the J29E. Svenska Flygmotor had already realised that the Ghost turbojet was already outclassed as a modern fighter engine and that the only way to improve it was by adding a lightweight afterburner and, with assistance from the Royal Swedish Air Board, the RM2B engine was quickly developed to give an impressive 6,200lbs of thrust from an engine lighter than the Sabre's J47. Saab had already flown the improved 'dogtooth' wing on the J29E and this wing also benefited from an extended and drooped outboard section plus the deletion of slats.

Broadly comparable to the J29F, the de Havilland Sprite F.1 entered service with No.222 squadron in February 1955 and equipped home defence and Auxillary squadrons before being retired in 1960. The improved FGA.2 version was produced as a Venom replacement for overseas use and had a much longer service life with examples still in service in RAF Middle-East Command and RAF South-East Asia Command well into the mid-1960's.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:12:35 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 11:54:31 am »
With increasing USAF involvement in Vietnam the 44th AFS (Aggressor Fighter Squadron) was reactivated during 1964 and re-equipped with ex-Swedish Air Force Saab J29F's to simulate the MiG-17.

Carrying Falcon training rounds this 44th AFS J29F climbs away from Ash Fork AFB.

This 44th AFS Instructor Pilot gives his Phantom F-4C pupils a hard time during a particularly intense DACM sortie over North Arizona.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:58:14 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 11:23:57 am »
Finnish 'Barrels'

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:45:00 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 10:09:46 am »
SEPECAT Panther GR.1 - No.8 Squadron, RAF Middle East Command, 1978

The loss of the TSR.2 programme was followed all too quickly by the cancellation of the F-111K order and then the French withdrawl from the AFVG programme. For a short while it looked like the Panavia consortium would fill the gap with the MRCA but the withdrawl of Canada and the Netherlands during the feasability studies and then finally Italy and Germany just before the formal programme launch left the UK Government with almost no options in their ill-fated search for a Canberra replacement.

However, quietly and without fuss, the Anglo-French SEPECAT consortium were progressing rather well with the Jaguar and proposed an essentially scaled-up design to fulfill the RAF's strike/attack requirement.

Using airframe knowledge gained from the Jaguar programme, plus the excellent Rolls-Royce Spey engines from the Phantom F-4K and F-4M programme, SEPECAT offered an in-service date of 1974 and the UK government accepted this proposal and negotiated a 70/30 work-split for BAC due to an initial lack of interest from France although France would later also adopt this excellent design.

Christened Panther, the prototype first flew in September 1970 (just two years after the Jaguar) and prototype and pre-production testing quickly progressed mainly due to just having one end-user. The Panther GR.1 entered service with the Royal Air Force in June 1975 when No.6 squadron converted to the 'big cat' from Phantoms. Total production of the initial GR.1 version reached 220 and SEPECAT also produced 130 Panther F.2's interceptors (re-enginned with the 30,000lb thrust class Rolls-Royce Teifi) for use by the UK air defence squadrons.

The Chinese 'Flying Leopard' was released at Combat ACE recently and it's a cracker. What with the overall look of a pumped-up Jaguar and the Phantom style canopy it just screamed 'RAF Tornado substitute' at me but it just might have been 'put the kettle on I'm gasping'.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:15:11 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2008, 01:51:24 pm »
The more I think of this I prefer the title of British Peoples' Republic Air Force! Here's some MiG-19's of No.5 squadron BPRAF (nurse my medicene please).

A spiffing Czech' S-105 (MiG-19S) was released recently and I've just oversprayed the Czech' markings and added BPRAF markings and my 'Communist' No.5 squadron nose bars. I quite like the Soviet style two-digit numbers and moved them from the nose to the fin (makes a nice change from letters).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:41:05 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2008, 08:26:25 am »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2008, 10:55:46 am »
What IfTM the UK had turned 'Red' during the 1970's, i.e. after the delivery of the Spey-powered Phantoms?

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2008, 06:29:08 am »
Gloster Gremlin F.1's (licence-built MiG-21F's) of the 54th Fighter Regiment, British Peoples' Republic Air Force.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2008, 06:31:55 am »
Gloster Gremlin FG.2's (licenece-built MiG-21MF's) of the 44th Fighter Regiment, British Peoples' Republic Air Force.