Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - P-38L IDF Suez  (Read 1089855 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #2250 on: July 10, 2020, 12:06:06 pm »
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-3M - 1st Fighter Regiment, Parani Army Air Force, 1944

PARAN MiG-3M.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN MiG-3M.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN MiG-3M.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN MiG-3M.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

Final Parani 'what if' for a while.

Apart from Raven's excellent radial engined Hurricane there are at least two other 'what if' radial engined conversions of inline types and both are by the DAT group - The Yak-3 and the MiG-3. I think I've previously shown them before but this is the latter in Parani markings on a skin I knocked up this afternoon. It's not brilliant and after putting some effort into getting a pretty decent fabric effect on the control surfaces I just lost a bit of patience with the lines and rivets and bailed out. Well, it's only a target for my desert Hurricanes! The underfuselage radiator was removed with a simple edit. BTW there actually was a one-off radial engined MiG-3 as well as the I-211 prototype high-altitude fighter developed from the MiG-3.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 04:06:04 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2251 on: July 11, 2020, 09:31:16 am »
Martin-Baker Valente FR.II - No.680 Squadron, RAF Mediterranean and Middle East Command, 1947

The first flight of the Martin-Baker MB.5 prototype took place on May 23rd 1944 with Bryan Greensted (chief test pilot for the propeller manufacturer Rotol) at the controls. Greensted would fly the first prototype on several occasions and his view that it was a superb aircraft was echoed by the test pilots of the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) at RAF Boscombe Down who enthused over its overall performance as it was both a highly maneuverable fighter for dogfighting but also an extremely stable gun platform. With a top speed of over 460 mph at 20,000 feet, an initial climb rate of 3,800 feet per minute, a service ceiling in excess of 40,000 feet and a range of over 1,000 miles the MB.5 was simply too good to ignore and in December 1944, even though victory in Europe was assured, a production order for 300 MB.5's was given to Martin-Baker Aircraft with the intention that the MB.5 would be deployed to the Far East as the RAF's standard fighter-bomber for 'Tiger Force'.

In memory of company co-founder Valentine 'Val' Baker (who had been killed whilst flying the MB.3 prototype in 1942) James Martin of Martin-Baker asked air ministry officials to consider naming the MB.5 'Valentino' but this was not accepted. However, compromise was reached when air ministry officials announced that it was to be called 'Valente'. Development moved smoothly during 1945 but the sudden end of the Pacific War in August 1945 led to the cancellation of many production contracts and the Valente F.Mk.I order was reduced down to just 60 aircraft. With the Meteor and Vampire programmes both proceding well the RAF decided that it no longer needed a fighter or a fighter-bomber and instructed Martin-Baker to reconfigure the Valente for the photo-reconnaissance role specifying the carriage of two K-24 cameras with an oblique camera in the rear fuselage and a vertical camera placed in the mid-fuselage and just in front of the radiator.

Entering RAF service in early 1946 as the Valente PR.II, the aircraft re-equipped No.208 squadron and No.680 squadron in the Middle East both initially flying surveying missions. No.680 Squadron moved to Ein Shemer in September 1946 and was immediately tasked with searching for ships bringing illegal Jewish immigrants from Europe. No.208 squadron moved to Petah Tiqva in December 1946 to also search for illegal shipping but both squadrons carried out anti-terrorist patrols and armed reconniassance missions in support of the 3rd Infantry Brigade from March 1947 onwards. By the end of the year, the UK Government had announced their intention to withdraw from Palestine as soon as possible with the United Nations susequently deciding to partition the country. From that point onwards both squadrons remained in Palestine to cover the final withdrawal of the remaining British forces until the Union Flag was finally lowered in Palestine on May 14th 1948. A few days later the RAF left Palestine forever.

RAF MB5 VALENTE.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.05 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.06 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

Always one of my favourites, for this PR MB.5 I made this skin using white with 15% red as the base colour but probably spent more time piddling about with the camera 'porthole' which looked OK (see profile below) but in game looks wrong. The MB.5 is totally awesome and cruises along at 40,000ft. To me, it always seemed too big for a Griffon engine that only just scrapes over 2,000hp and how sad that R2496 couldn't have been preserved.

RAF MB5 VALENTE.07 by Spinners1961, on Flickr
Profile view to show the colour before game changes (i.e. different terrains have different light, time of day, altitude, etc.) and post-image processing.

Offline sideshowbob9

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - MB.5 'PR'
« Reply #2252 on: July 11, 2020, 11:21:20 am »
Gorgeous! The MB.5 is truly one of the all-time greats!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2253 on: July 11, 2020, 03:19:18 pm »
The Valente looks terrific, and I can't see the problem with the oblique camera port in the pics, it looks just as you drew in the profile.

They were flying in Palestine at the same time as I was living at Heliopolis nr. Cairo apparently, but I can't remember seeing any there.  ;D

I was only 4 at the time mind you...............   ;)

Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2254 on: Yesterday at 02:51:00 am »
One of my favourite aircraft and you've certainly done it justice  :thumbsup:

Certainly given me the inspiration for what to do with one of the AZ ones currently sitting in the stash.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2255 on: Yesterday at 03:38:45 am »
Lockheed P-38L Lightning - 101 Squadron, Israeli Air Force, 1956

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.05 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.06 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

An off the peg 'what if' this one and it's the creation of AC_M over at Combat Ace. I've just made a few adjustments with the decals and taken the screenshots.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2256 on: Yesterday at 04:29:13 am »

Certainly given me the inspiration for what to do with one of the AZ ones currently sitting in the stash.

The Obscureco conversion bits for the F-6 Mustang might fit that quite well.............  ;)
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - P-38L IDF Suez
« Reply #2257 on: Today at 01:07:14 am »
That IDF P-38 is nice! Earmarked...  ;)