Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Polikarpov I-17 Molniya  (Read 1086122 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 07:09:34 am »

Unsuccessful 1962 McDonnell Aircraft Corp. sales pitch made to Canada.

Thankfully, in 'what-if' land we can make things right!

Last week the Wales v. South Africa rugby union international inspired me to look at some South African what if's. Last night Wales played Canada (and very plucky they were too) so that is going to be my inspiration for the weekend. Some nice leafy roundels from the 1950's and 1960's! Canada haven't half changed their insignia and markings over the years so please forgive me if I drop the occasional clanger...no change there then.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:21:17 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 09:52:13 am »
Thanks Guys. Of course, the Phantom's father was the amazing Voodoo - an impressive aircraft in terms of size and performance. Canada operated two seperate batches of the two-seat interceptor version (which will be released as an add-on aircraft soon I understand) but I'm what-iffing the single-seat F-101C as a Canadian Cold War bomber based in Europe.

This RCAF 433 squadron Voodoo is ready for instant action at a front-line NATO airbase.

Carrying a dummy Mk.84 2,000lb bomb this RCAF Voodoo gives RAF Bruggen an early morning wake-up call!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 02:11:50 pm »
Thanks Geoff. The last RCAF aircraft for tonight is the sexy Six;

The F-106A is a superb add-on aircraft for the game/sim and is available for download at CombatACE or Column5. It's a tricky beast to fly but such a good looking aeroplane! I haven't quite had time to do unit markings and my 'Royal Canadian Air Force' decal used on the Voodoo doesn't like the curves above the cheat line and the wasp waist of the F-106A.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 04:10:13 am »
F-86K Sabre Dogs of No.414 squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:30 am »
Breaking ranks with the other NATO countries (excepting the USA of course) Canada opted for the F-105 Thunderchief over the F-104 Starfighter. Thunderchiefs served with the Royal Canadian Air Force in Europe with No.423 squadron being the first to re-equip followed by No.433 squadron. Both squadrons were based at Grostenquin in France until 1967 when they moved to Zweibrücken before returning to Canada in 1970.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37:51 pm »
Thunderchiefs of No.76 squadron, Royal Australian Air Force.

The game/sim has Aussie roundels but they are a bit too dark for me so I've made some new ones and a matching fin flash and set them at 90% opacity which just makes them look a bit more painted on. I've used older serials (using A99 - a one-off Jet Provost in reality) indicating that Australia purchased the F-105 quite early on, perhaps having a few B's and C's before progressing to the early model D shown here. The fin badge for No.76 squadron is totally spurious althought there is a Black Panther on the real squadron badge.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 01:29:52 pm »
The Gloster Glory Prototype Jet Fighter - 1948

The prototype Gloster Glory gets airborne at Moreton Valence, June 1948.

The first two prototypes were the star performers at the 1948 SBAC show at Farnborough.

Inspired by Tornado's "Gloster Fagot" profiles, especially the prototype ones, I've used the La-15 'Fantail' to be a stunt double for the Gloster Glory jet fighter.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:50:43 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 03:25:06 am »
Gloster Glory 'Aggressors' of the 44th AFS (Aggressor Fighter Squadron), Ash Fork, North Arizona.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 04:20:31 am »
F-104G Starfighters of No.14 squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force.

The New Zealand 'All Blacks' came to the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff yesterday and it was a tale of two halves with Wales edging the first half but with New Zealand giving us a bit of a lesson in the second half. Anyway, I'm using these Autumn internationals to give me a theme and the Kiwi roundels will get a well deserved airing. I think I've got the orientation of the Kiwis right but let me know if I haven't.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:53:13 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 08:56:29 am »
Hawker Hunters of No.75 squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force.

The Hunter is a real favourite of mine in this game/sim as it flies real nice, just a bit underpowered, and the stock RAF camo skin is a beaut! BTW I can't believe the Hunter didn't serve in the RNZAF!?

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 11:10:00 am »
As part of the joint ANZUKUS force committed to Vietnam the RNZAF deployed two squadrons of Vought A-7B Corsairs to the conflict in 1970. These refurbished ex-US Navy machines served until well into the 1990's before being replaced by ex-USAF F-16C's.

A bombed-up No.75 squadron machine based at Phan Rang waits for the order to launch.

Armed with Snakeyes and Shrikes a No.14 squadron Corsair heads North with a No.75 machine for company.

One of my favourite skins this. It's a Portugese Camo done by Mike1 (only suitable for the add-on Corsair and not the stock Corsair) and is perfect for SEAC operations.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:13:23 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 02:47:05 pm »
When Australia purchased the Mirage IIIO Dassault wasted no time in offering New Zealand the same aircraft as a Hunter replacement.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 04:05:57 am »
SEPECAT Jaguars of No.79 squadron, Royal Australian Air Force.

I've been using the Welsh Autumn Rugby internationals as inspiration and it was Australia's turn to visit the Millennium stadium in Cardiff yesterday. Wales narrowly won by 21-18 but taking a Southern Hemisphere scalp is always a cause for celebration! Anyway, today will see a few more Australian 'what-ifs' and next up will be Aussie Hunters.

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 06:12:13 am »
Prior to the Jaguar No.79 squadron operated the Hawker Hunter F.6 and FGA.9 and deployed to Ubon in Thailand as a response to a threat to Thailand from across the Laotian border during the 1962 emergency.

In company with a RNZAF Corsair a RAAF Hunter prowls the Laotian border.

This No.79 Sqd Hunter 'kicks up some dust' in a straffing attack on a Laotian convoy.

During their deployment to Ubon No.79 squadrons Hunters adopted colourful red and gold fuselage markings.

Offline SPINNERS

Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2008, 07:49:35 am »
De Havilland Sprite F.1 - No.222 Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, 1956

By late 1952 it was obvious that the Supermarine Swift was in deep trouble and the RAF were anxious not to rely solely on the Hawker Hunter which, itself, was experiencing some difficult teething troubles. Whilst the earlier Sabre purchase was greeted with much enthusiasm by the ailing RAF the UK Government were keen to reduce the already crippling debt to the US Government and sought another 'off the shelf' stop-gap to supplement the Sabres and Hunters.

The Dassault Mystere IV was briefly considered but France would only accept payment in US dollars so in 1953 the UK Government signed a deal with the Swedish Government for the supply of 200 Saab J29 Tunnans to be licence-built by de Havilland who had been an integral part of the J29 programme since October 1945 when the first de Havilland Goblin turbojet was delivered and de Havilland continued to assist by helping Saab with the later Ghost turbojet plus the pressurised cockpit, bubble canopy, gun installation and fuel system.

The timing allowed the RAF to benefit from two improvements in the already mature J29 programme - an afterburner plus the improved 'dogtooth' wing of the J29E. Svenska Flygmotor had already realised that the Ghost turbojet was already outclassed as a modern fighter engine and that the only way to improve it was by adding a lightweight afterburner and, with assistance from the Royal Swedish Air Board, the RM2B engine was quickly developed to give an impressive 6,200lbs of thrust from an engine lighter than the Sabre's J47. Saab had already flown the improved 'dogtooth' wing on the J29E and this wing also benefited from an extended and drooped outboard section plus the deletion of slats.

Broadly comparable to the J29F, the de Havilland Sprite F.1 entered service with No.222 squadron in February 1955 and equipped home defence and Auxillary squadrons before being retired in 1960. The improved FGA.2 version was produced as a Venom replacement for overseas use and had a much longer service life with examples still in service in RAF Middle-East Command and RAF South-East Asia Command well into the mid-1960's.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:12:35 pm by SPINNERS »