Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Mongolian Ye-8 Fishsticks  (Read 1102056 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #2220 on: July 20, 2020, 11:59:39 am »
Bell Airabonita Mk.I - 804 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Navy, 1941

RN AIRABONITA 1.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.08 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.07 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.05 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.06 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

Since my big data loss in 2016 when I lost all my templates and a ton of 'what ifs' I've not done much skinning from scratch but I've always liked the P-39 Airacobra (thanks to Airfix!) and this Airabonita was posted by the DAT boys a few years ago as a 'beta' with a USN skin so, yesterday and today, I've skinned it from scratch using 'temperate sea scheme' colours from a Martlet profile (see below) showing a sky fuselage band and non-standard roundels (not for anyone to reply with CAPS) and a reference that it was defending Orkney. It's not quite finished but good enough to post. The stock Iceland terrain stands in for Orkney.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:28:51 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2221 on: July 23, 2020, 09:02:21 am »
Bell Airabonita Mk.I - 888 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Navy, 1942

RN AIRABONITA 1.09 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.10 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.11 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.14 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.13 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RN AIRABONITA 1.12 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

I've been doing a bit more work on this skin and even tried a bit of bump mapping (adds depth to panel lines) but I'm not totally sure I've grasped the technique no matter how many GIMP tutorials I watch on YouTube. Anyway, I'm not sure what carrier this was now (ye olde Eagle?) but 888 NAS is one of the squadrons used by Airfix in their Martlet kit.

Offline Martin H

• Im their Leader. Which way did they go?
  • Administrator
Re: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Sobre el ocťano
« Reply #2222 on: July 23, 2020, 12:40:38 pm »
I'm not sure what carrier this was now (ye olde Eagle?) but 888 NAS is one of the squadrons used by Airfix in their Martlet kit.

Looks like Eagle to me. :thumbsup:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) TSR-2 SIG Member.
IPMS (UK) R & D SIG Member.
IPMS (UK) DC-3/C-47 SIG Member.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
Re: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Sobre el ocťano
« Reply #2223 on: July 24, 2020, 06:35:42 am »
I'm not sure what carrier this was now (ye olde Eagle?) but 888 NAS is one of the squadrons used by Airfix in their Martlet kit.

Looks like Eagle to me. :thumbsup:

Probably given that ram bow
Decals my @r$e!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2224 on: July 25, 2020, 07:32:22 am »
Lockheed P-38G Lightning - OK Flight, Aeronautica Militar, 1944

PoAF P-38G LIGHTNING.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF P-38G LIGHTNING.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF P-38G LIGHTNING.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF P-38G LIGHTNING.05 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF P-38G LIGHTNING.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

A revamped P-38G and a P-38J was released by the DAT boys recently and I've used the former to give the Portuguese Aeronautica Militar the 'fork-tailed devil' but only the NMF P-38G's are what if's as the uppermost piccie shows the solitary P-38G that they did operate from November 1942 until it was scrapped in 1944. Neutral Portugal interned several allied aircraft but the first P-38 to land in Portugal soon escaped them when the quick-thinking USAAF pilot tricked his captors into refuelling his plane and offered to give the Portuguese ferry pilot tuition in how to fly the P-38. Whilst sat in the cockpit a second P-38G came in to land causing a distraction so the pilot opened up the throttles shaking the hapless ferry pilot off the wing, got airborne and landed on Gibraltar some 400 miles later!

The second P-38G to land was interned and was operated by the Aeronautica Militar but it suffered from a shortage of spares and chronic fuel leaks from the wings eventually traced to a higher benzene content in the fuel used by the Aeronautica Militar causing deterioration of rubber and sealants used in the fuel system (bladder tanks, fuel pump seals, carburettor membranes, etc.).

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Portuguese P-38G's
« Reply #2225 on: July 26, 2020, 06:14:14 am »
Now if Portugal had entered WWII on the Allied side, then the P-38 would have made a good type to be based in the Azores I would have thought.

I found some Portuguese transfers in the stash the other day and was thinking of a WWII type to use them on. Never thought of the P-38. Still not sure what type to use but I want to do something in the colours of Britain's oldest ally  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Portuguese P-38G's
« Reply #2226 on: July 26, 2020, 07:46:47 pm »
 :thumbsup:
I've got the Hobbyboss L kit in the stash for something similar.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2227 on: July 27, 2020, 12:32:17 pm »
OGMA Drag„o - OK Flight, Aeronautica Militar, 1942

At the outbreak of World War Two in September 1939 the Portuguese 'Estado Novo' Government, led by Prime Minister Antůnio de Oliveira Salazar, immediately announced that whilst the Anglo-Portuguese Alliance of 1373 remained intact Salazar considered that Portugal was free to remain neutral in the war as the UK Government had not sought Portuguese assistance. On September 5th, the British Government confirmed their understanding of Salazar's announcement but regretfully explained that they were no longer able to supply the Supermarine Spitfire fighter aircraft previously ordered by Portugal. With most of their Gloster Gladiators having been transferred to the Azores the AeronŠutica Militar had literally a handful of obsolete fighter aircraft with which to defend the Portuguese mainland.

In a speech to the Portuguese parliament on September 11th 1939, Salazar announced that Portugal would design, manufacture and deploy it's own indigenous fighter aircraft further announcing that Oficinas Gerais de Material AeronŠutico (OGMA) already had a design on the drawing board at their factory at Alverca do Ribatejo that would be urgently expanded to accommodate the production of the new fighter - soon to named as the OGMA Drag„o.

OGMA's design was a fairly conventional low-wing monoplane featuring all-metal construction but with fabric-covered control surfaces typical of the era. The planned powerplant was the Bristol Taurus III radial engine but as OGMA were nervous about getting these engines from the UK they made an early decision to switch to the Pratt & Whitney R-1830-17 Twin Wasp 14-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine. Whilst lacking cockpit armour and self-sealing fuel tanks the Drag„o was well armed with four Browning .50 caliber machine guns all firing through the propeller arc. Development moved swiftly and by March 1940 the Drag„o prototype was taking shape at the OGMA factory but the first flight was delayed due to persistent hydraulic problems with the undercarriage retraction. Finally, on August 15th 1940, Paulo Coluna (OGMA's chief test pilot) took off from Alverca do Ribatejo for a successful 40-minute maiden flight.

Entering service in February 1941 the Drag„o remained in production until 1944 and it's low wing loading of 26.9 lb/ft2 gave it outstanding turning performance with relatively light controls even at close to maximum speed but the low power was a serious handicap at all altitudes with poor acceleration and a low top speed of 329mph.

PoAF DRAGAO.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF DRAGAO.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF DRAGAO.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF DRAGAO.05 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF DRAGAO.06 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF DRAGAO.07 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PoAF DRAGAO.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

The VL Myrsky by 'veltro2k' has been given a new skin and Portuguese markings to make the fictional OGMA Drag„o (Dragon).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:51:37 am by SPINNERS »

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - OGMA Drag„o
« Reply #2228 on: July 28, 2020, 06:07:06 am »
I knew I recognised the type, but had completely forgotten about the Myrsky. Somehow the nose looks longer in that scheme, suits it though  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
« Reply #2229 on: July 29, 2020, 01:10:25 am »
Very nice work on both the P-38 and the Drag„o. :thumbsup:
I've had a similar idea of having a Portuguese aeronautical industry designing and building aircraft in cooperation with the OGMA. Would've started doing it a bit later in my timeline but it goes along the same lines as in your story. Guess i'll only use that idea when I build a design of my own, though but your story is very inspiring. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2230 on: July 29, 2020, 03:33:21 am »
Very nice work on both the P-38 and the Drag„o. :thumbsup:
I've had a similar idea of having a Portuguese aeronautical industry designing and building aircraft in cooperation with the OGMA. Would've started doing it a bit later in my timeline but it goes along the same lines as in your story. Guess i'll only use that idea when I build a design of my own, though but your story is very inspiring. :thumbsup:

Thank you. In one way, the Myrsky is a good choice as it's relatively unknown and basic in layout and powerplant but I really don't find it a good-looking aircraft at all. Perhaps the same basic backstory would work with one of the lesser known Italian, Japanese or Soviet fighters (indeed, there are 'what if' radial engined versions of the Yak-3 and MiG-3 available). On a later timescale there is the MB.5 or the CA-15 Kangaroo.

Offline tahsin

• Makes own decals
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Recce Pink Mustang
« Reply #2231 on: July 29, 2020, 01:47:26 pm »

I just love tossing these WW2 Japanese aircraft into my Paran v. Dhimar install as 'enemy' targets and I thought I'd come up with a ropey little backstory to explain why!

How much of the history Dhimar or Paran is fixed? They would surely be in the British order of things. With an lraq like coup, bringing pro-Axis forces to power to be violently toppled by Communists? Which would explain the mismatch with the T-34s and Japanese planes.

How much of the geography is fixed? Because if you include Northern portions of the lndian Subcontinent in the Middle East, have Gandhi assassinated in 1937, let Japanese strike a major coup with buying a warlord, say the ones in South Western China and avoid Khalkin and repel Zhukov in 1941 to create all sorts of trouble in lndia, you will have a pro-Axis state of millions of Aryans of a darker hue. Not advisable to invade by the Allies and the Bengal Famine is hurting bad and the Japanese show extremely scant care for the almost 10 million Chinese they work to death or thereabouts and you will have a country that can field captured T-34s modified with long barrel 75 or captured Russian field guns, even before they turn Communist. Might help if Hitler decides the potential benefit is too high and lets all the patents and plans to the Japanese, to explain any possible 109s around. lf this can't be Paran it can at least support the latter with donations and volunteers.

lt was only after finishing this that ı checked the regular Wikipedia to see the only Dhimar there is a caste in lndia...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:50:38 pm by tahsin »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2232 on: July 30, 2020, 12:24:43 am »
Mitsubishi G4M1-11 'Betty' - 1st Bomber Regiment, Parani Army Air Force, 1943

Thought to be outside the range of Parani aircraft, the Dhimari city of Shaqaz was heavily bombed during May 1943 by Mitsubishi G4M1's of the Parani Army Air Force. This switch of tactics by the Parani Army Air Force, who had normally operated in support of the Parani Army over the immediate battlefield, led to the deployment of Dhimari P-66 Vanguards to northern areas of Dhimar - further weakening the Royal Dhimari Air Force in their desperate attempts to defend the Mazadran Oil Fields and the Valley of Kerman in the summer of 1943.

PARAN G4M1-11 BETTY.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN G4M1-11 BETTY.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN G4M1-11 BETTY.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN G4M1-11 BETTY.05 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN G4M1-11 BETTY.06 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN G4M1-11 BETTY.07 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN G4M1-11 BETTY.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN G4M1-11 BETTY.08 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

A new 'Betty' was released yesterday by the DAT group with a 3D model by 'veltro2k'. I've taken one of the IJN skins from it and overpainted the hinomaru with my WW2 Parani roundel and used game generated arabic numbers on the fin - a quick and easy way of creating another adversary aircraft.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Betty over Dhimar
« Reply #2233 on: July 30, 2020, 03:48:14 am »
Their armourers must have been VERY short.  :o

I never realised quite how low a 'Betty' was until I saw your first pic. A very quick adaption if it only came out y'day.  :thumbsup:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Coming soon...
« Reply #2234 on: August 03, 2020, 11:55:48 am »

Apologies for no updates but I've been busy skinning this beast - the Douglas B-42 Mixmaster by 'veltro2k' (king of the esoteric). I'll be working on this for a few more days to come but it has enormous whiff potential.