Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Parani MiG-3M Radial  (Read 1088905 times)

Online SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #2160 on: May 08, 2020, 06:45:03 am »
McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom - 182nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Texas Air Force, 1976

Another one from 2011... and not my idea then either!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2161 on: May 09, 2020, 08:33:49 am »
Yakovlev Yak-23F - Fighter Squadron 31, Finnish Air Force, 1953

For this revised upload (over at Combat Ace) I've changed one squadron to use the iconic Lynx fin marking of Fighter Squadron 31 who today fly F-18C/D Hornets out of Rissala.

Online SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Finnish Floras
« Reply #2162 on: May 12, 2020, 01:19:24 am »
Douglas Dakota C.3 - No.30 Squadron, RAF Transport Command, 1960

The C-47A has been a non-flyable aircraft in Strike Fighters for a while now (the C-130 has been there since the start in 2002) but all non-flyable types can be made flyable using a surrogate cockpit with some simple edits. There's even a quick and dirty way of making everything flyable using the A-4B cockpit. Anyway, a superb new C-47 cockpit was released yesterday and I thought I'd give the C-47A a check flight and it's quite nice to fly. I then found a desert camo scheme by 'gerwin' over at Combat Ace which I thought I'd convert to make an early 1970's RAF Hercules scheme. I've added black undersides using my 'cut and shut' method of combining two skins - gerwin's camo and the stock silver skin for the undersides but these silver undersides have the colour inverted and a 70% opacity black layer is added to these undersides to dampen things down. Early Herk's had the last three digits of the serial number repeated on the fin and nose so I had to make 12 new serial number decals and 12 new three-digit number decals as well but they really do complete the look.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2163 on: May 13, 2020, 07:01:40 am »
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17PF 'Fresco-D' - Grupo 6 de Caza, Fuerza Aérea Argentina, 1970

Another revised upload but this time I've added the indigenous 'Espada' radar-guided air-to-air missile. This is actually an AS-20 with a simple new skin and with the innards of an early Sparrow missile (a cut and paste of the data for an AIM-7D).

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2164 on: May 15, 2020, 04:03:00 am »
Grumman Intruder S.1 - No.214 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, 1966

In 1963, with the Mark 2 versions of the Vulcan and Victor becoming the spearhead of Bomber Command, four Valiant squadrons (49, 148, 207 and 214) were assigned to SACEUR forming a powerful strike wing based at Marham in Norfolk. But during the summer of 1964 fatigue cracks were discovered in the front and rear wing spars of several aircraft and whilst serious consideration was given to a rebuild programme the estimated unit cost of this was close to the original price of a Valiant so a rebuild programme was ruled out. However, when further cracks were discovered the RAF reluctantly grounded the Valiant in December 1964. In January 1965, this lead to Denis Healey (Minister of Defence) declaring that the Valiant situation was "causing considerable embarrassment for us with our NATO allies" and that an interim solution was urgently being sought "to restore our missing strike power and commitment to SACEUR".

With US President Lyndon Johnson already critical of Harold Wilson's refusal to commit British troops to Vietnam, Wilson and Healey needed a quick solution and in February 1965 they pulled off a deal with the US Government and the Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation to take 60 A-6K Intruder aircraft straight off the Grumman production line at Bethpage. Designated as the Intruder S.1 and finished in anti-flash white the A-6K's were optimised for the nuclear strike role armed with American Mk28 (B-61) free-fall tactical nuclear bombs before switching to the UK WE.177B in late 1966. Entering service with No.214 squadron in June 1965 the RAF's Intruder S.1 force built up at RAF Marham before being transferred to RAF Geilenkirchen during the Spring of the following year.

The Intruder was a flyable type in 'Wings Over Vietnam' back in 2004 but, rather oddly, was dropped to 'AI' only (i.e. non-flyable) status in the second-generation Strike Fighters 2:Vietnam released in 2009. That didn't make a lot of sense to me back then (and still doesn't now) but by using the first-generation cockpit you can quickly get it flying. This simple skin was created by cutting the parts out of the US Navy grey & white skin bitmaps and pasting them onto the white specular bitmaps that have some decent line and rivet details. Crude but effective! Decals complete the transformation and I made a lo-viz version of my 214 'speedbird'.

Yes, my "Valiant is broken, what can I do" backstory has been used before!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:43:58 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2165 on: May 16, 2020, 02:52:55 am »
Westland Wolf Mk.I - No.612 (County of Aberdeen) Squadron, Royal Auxilliary Air Force, 1946

More Yak-23 shenanigans! One of the things I like about Strike Fighters is that you can tweak the performance of any aircraft in a variety of ways and for the Westland Wolf I've de-tuned the engine back to the 2,000lbs thrust of the Derwent Mk.1 engines that powered the early production Gloster Meteors (but not the earliest which had Wellands). The Yak-23's Klimov RD-500 engine (an unlicensed Derwent Mk.5 copy) had about 3,500lbs of thrust so it does make a difference at take-off and climb. I got a bit lazy with markings and re-used some '8W' codes and 'VT' serials that I made for something else.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2166 on: May 17, 2020, 04:59:38 am »
Douglas Skywarrior S.1 - 809 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Navy, 1970

"We're going to need a bigger boat".

This A3D-1 Skywarrior is (I believe) an unfinished beta by 'angelp' and was missed by me when I took my 18-month break from Strike Fighters. I've previously converted one of the USN carriers into an 'Elizabeth Class' RN carrier but I really can't see why the Senior Service would want such a beast but there you go! When making the 809NAS tail decal I discovered that they are due to become an F-35 unit but that's still nearly 3 years away.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:12:36 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2167 on: May 18, 2020, 03:51:45 am »
Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - No.43 Squadron, RAF Middle East Command, 1968

Another 'cut and shut' DIY skin combining the Omani camo scheme with the undersides of the standard RAF Camo. It takes a while to mask things off but then it's just a cut and paste overlay and some decals with stock serial numbers. I might do another one with 'B' type roundels for a mid-70's deployment.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:40:07 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2168 on: May 18, 2020, 03:54:50 am »
Hawker Hunter FGA.9 - No.112 Squadron, RAF Middle East Command, 1968

Same skin but with the classic No.112 sharkmouth!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:42:24 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - RAF Hunter Desert Deployment
« Reply #2169 on: May 18, 2020, 11:51:55 am »
Lockheed Martin F-16C Fighting Falcon - Grupo 6 de Caza, Fuerza Aérea Argentina, 2021

Not my cup of tea but done as a request. The F-16 is a slightly tricky one to 'what if' as the fuselage roundel decal is on such a curved surface that it distorts badly. I've had to paint it directly onto the skin bitmap but it's so small the resolution is poor.

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2170 on: May 19, 2020, 11:28:17 am »
Convair F-102J Delta Dagger - 203, 204 and 302 Hikotai, Japan Air Self-Defense Force, 1970

When I did my F-102A-based Gloster Galant FAW.1 a few weeks back I knew that the grey skin would make a good JASDF interceptor. All the decals were already made and with 173 F-4EJ tail serial numbers and 173 F-4EJ nose numbers already 'in game' I thought this would be a nice quick 'what if' but getting the Falcon missiles to load was a nightmare as some missiles are nation specific and have specific station codes to (for example) prevent Phantoms loading Firestreaks and Lightnings loading Sidewinders. Anyway, I got there in the end!

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2171 on: May 20, 2020, 04:49:22 am »
Kawasaki Ki-60 'Terry' - 101st Sentai, Imperial Japanese Army Air Force, 1943

A lovely Heinkel He-100D1 was released recently and I thought it would look cool in IJAAF markings. Now I'm no expert on WW2 Japanese markings so WYSIWYG!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:51:06 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2172 on: May 20, 2020, 07:48:42 am »
Convair F-102J Delta Dagger - 302nd Hikotai, Japan Air Self-Defense Force, 1973

The SEA Camo skin just needed some overpainting of national markings and I used the same 302nd Hikotai decals. The Tu-95RT "Bear-D" is not a willing photo-opportunity target and the cheeky beggar actually shot me down whilst I was trying to get a bit closer. I'll have to de-claw it at some time...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:54:43 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2173 on: May 22, 2020, 12:06:15 pm »
Republic F-7A Thunderstorm - Thunderstorm Test & Evaluation Flight, Tactical Air Command, United States Air Force, 1967

During late 1958 the Langley Laboratory made the breakthrough that led to the realisation of a valid variable-sweep wing and by early 1959 Tactical Air Command (TAC) could see that this massive technological breakthrough could be the key to help them in their search for a tactical strike fighter to replace both the F-100 Super Sabre andthe F-105 Thunderchief. Pretty soon however the numerical values for unrefuelled range and payload that TAC had attached to their mission requirements had the effect of turning all the paper studies from F-105 sized machines to much larger tactical bombers with a corresponding increase in cost and price and this reduced affordability was of great concern to TAC.

In the Autumn of 1959 TAC wisely decided to split their requirement into a smaller tactical fighter to replace the F-100 and a larger tactical bomber to replace the F-105, B-57 and B-66. The larger aircraft would evolve into Specific Operational RequirementNo.183 that would launch the important TFX (tactical fighter experimental) programme and eventually lead (via a tortuous route) to the outstanding but highly compromised F-111 family whilst the smaller aircraft would lead to Specific Operational Requirement No.182 or TAX (tactical aircraft experimental).

Issued in March 1960 SOR182 called for a single-seat tactical fighter aircraft with “reduced dependence of paved runways” and with “the ability to carry a nuclear bomb at supersonic speed at tree-top height”. Requests for Proposals were immediately sent out to industry and Republic Aviation’s proposal soon gained the support of TAC by virtue of its use of a variable-sweep wing but also by the use of the existing J75 turbojet and F-105 avionics. With the end of F-105 production on the horizon Republic Aviation pushed hard for SOR182/TAX and in February 1961 they were rewarded with a contract for 24 prototype and pre-production YF-110 aircraft and 400 production F-110A machines and Republic wasted no time in bestowing the name of ‘Thunderstorm’ to the latest of their long line of fighter aircraft.

Republic Aviation were fortunate in being awarded the contract before Secretary of Defence Robert S. McNamara had got into his stride and the programme largely escaped McNamara and his whiz-kids. Development moved swiftly and during 1962 the programme was re-designated F-7 under the new tri-service designation scheme and the first prototype took to the air on December 22nd 1962 a full year ahead of the F-111A. Entering service in June 1965 the F-7A was followed by the F-7B two-seat trainer version and the more advanced F-7C version that first deployed to Vietnam in March 1968 when a two-squadron wing transferred to Takhli Royal Thia AFB, Thailand in a deployment called ‘Combat Lancer’.

I've previously done the F-7C Thunderstorm (below) and F-7M Thunderpig (MiG-27) and thought that an early TAC machine would look cool so I took a stock Soviet grey skin, masked off the undersides, cut them out and tinted them 25% lighter which makes them almost white but preserves the line and rivet detail. On the F-7A I've finally been able to remove the 'Odd Rods'!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:59:00 am by SPINNERS »

Online SPINNERS

« Reply #2174 on: May 23, 2020, 02:41:32 am »
Folland Gnat FGA.3 - No.33 Squadron, RAF South East Asia Command, 1964

This Gnat was created a long time ago by 'Marcfighter' a prolific Brazilian 3D modeller and skinner who also converted his Gnat into the Ajeet. My recent interest in the Hawker Hunter has reminded me of the RAF's quest for a Venom FB.4 replacement in the Middle East and the trials that saw two modified Hunter F.6's pitted against a Jet Provost T.3 and a borrowed Indian Air Force Gnat F.1 in the Venom Replacement Evaluation Trials held at RAF Khormaksar in Aden in 1958. Predictably, the Hunters "completely outclassed" the two rival types in the 'hot and high' conditions leading to the Hunter FGA.9 (all converted from Hunter F.6's). I might try and do a desert Gnat at some time.