Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - USAAF P-39 Jetcobra  (Read 962093 times)

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #2145 on: July 15, 2019, 03:58:53 am »
Convair Velocity B.1 - No.100 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, 1965

Now I've definitely done an RAF 'anti-flash white' Hustler before but as this is a new 3D model (by the prolific Veltro2K) I thought I'd do another one knocking up a couple of 'XP' serial numbers decals and also pale ejection triangles only to find I can't them to appear under the small window of the third crew member. Ah, well. No.100 Squadron, alongside No.139 Squadron, were one of the two Victor B.2 squadrons and both were briefly equipped with Blue Steel. BTW I'm open to offers on a more exciting V-Bomber name!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Vigilante S.1 RAF
« Reply #2146 on: July 15, 2019, 04:02:20 am »
I DO like the Velocity, it looks terrific in white.  :thumbsup:

And speaking of Blue Steels, would Strike Fighters let a Velocity carry a Blue Steel instead of the big bomb/tank?
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2147 on: July 15, 2019, 04:04:51 am »

And speaking of Blue Steels, would Strike Fighters let a Velocity carry a Blue Steel instead of the big bomb/tank?

I can't see why not but I don't currently have a Blue Steel.

Edit: I found one version of Blue Steel but it's quite odd in that it needed to be rotated 90 degrees and is then crazily offset to one side for some reason that I cannot fathom and I've spent an hour or so trying to sort it without success. Anyway the wings really are right in the way of the UC and it's also about twice as heavy as the load limit for the bomb pod so, in reality, it probably couldn't have carried it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:18:17 am by SPINNERS »

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - RAF B-58 Hustler (White)
« Reply #2148 on: July 15, 2019, 05:00:04 am »
This is looking very cool.  :thumbsup:

Wonder how a Hemp/Barley Grey livery would look on it=?

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2149 on: July 15, 2019, 06:00:54 am »
Bell P-39Z Jetcobra - United States Army Air Force, 1945

Another Veltro2K 3D model but this time a 'what if' based on a plastic model and one that might well have originated from here! Anyway, these are the two excellent skins that came with it so there's no input from me except to take the screenshots.

I'll be taking a short break to get some admin done on my other hobby and hope to return early next week.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2150 on: July 15, 2019, 06:29:56 am »

As do I  :thumbsup:

I'm sure I have an Accademy 1/144 scale kit in the stash and I know I have the appropriate rondels  ;)

I do like the Jetcobra
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #2151 on: July 15, 2019, 07:26:12 am »
Another Veltro2K 3D model but this time a 'what if' based on a plastic model and one that might well have originated from here! Anyway, these are the two excellent skins that came with it so there's no input from me except to take the screenshots.

That's what I wanted to ask: is it based on my recent JetCobra (which was rather based on the bigger P-63)? Looks so familiar!  :lol:

1:72 Bell XP-68A „Airagator“ (a.k.a. “Barrelcobra”), second prototype; USAAF s/n 42-228878; Muroc Dry Lake during flight test and evaluation, April 1944 (Whif/kitbashing)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2152 on: July 15, 2019, 08:20:34 am »

That's what I wanted to ask: is it based on my recent JetCobra (which was rather based on the bigger P-63)? Looks so familiar!  :lol:

1:72 Bell XP-68A „Airagator“ (a.k.a. “Barrelcobra”), second prototype; USAAF s/n 42-228878; Muroc Dry Lake during flight test and evaluation, April 1944 (Whif/kitbashing)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Yes, I've seen that photo which was then suggested as an idea.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2153 on: July 15, 2019, 08:31:31 am »

Edit: I found one version of Blue Steel but it's quite odd in that it needed to be rotated 90 degrees and is then crazily offset to one side for some reason that I cannot fathom and I've spent an hour or so trying to sort it without success. Anyway the wings really are right in the way of the UC and it's also about twice as heavy as the load limit for the bomb pod so, in reality, it probably couldn't have carried it.

It looks pretty good toting the Blue Steel for sure.  :thumbsup:

After a bit of Wiki-ing I find the Blue Steel weighed 7270 lbs and the max. weapons load of the Hustler was 19450 lbs so it could have carried two of them! Goodness knows where though, the Blue Steel's a fat old thing.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2154 on: July 15, 2019, 08:41:45 am »

After a bit of Wiki-ing I find the Blue Steel weighed 7270 lbs and the max. weapons load of the Hustler was 19450 lbs so it could have carried two of them! Goodness knows where though, the Blue Steel's a fat old thing.  ;D

Ah! Whoever made the Blue Steel 3D model has used 7270KG.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2155 on: July 15, 2019, 08:43:44 am »

Ah! Whoever made the Blue Steel 3D model has used 7270KG.

:banghead: The short range version then.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Offline Leading Observer

• Full scale Arrow in basement
  • Observation - The most enduring of life's pleasure
« Reply #2156 on: July 15, 2019, 12:37:20 pm »

I can't see why not but I don't currently have a Blue Steel.

What about Skybolts?

LO

Forewarned is Forearmed

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2157 on: July 15, 2019, 02:19:04 pm »

What about Skybolts?

It would have only been able to carry one as they weighed 11000 lbs.

Regards
Kit

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Deutscher Meister 2011 & 2012 - BVB 09!
Re: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Vigilante S.1 RAF
« Reply #2158 on: July 15, 2019, 04:34:39 pm »
Its struck me that the Japanese camo scheme higher up this page on the Phantom (and used on their F-1s) might look good on a Voodoo.  It's close to the usual SEA camo scheme but is different enough to be, ummmm, different.

The colors are quite bright, while the pattern itself is the classic SEA scheme. As far as I could find out, the upper tones are FS 34097, 34108 and 30372, and white from below. <...>

The Model Art Profile books list FS16440 Light Gull Gray for the undersides of both the JASDF F-4s and F-1s.
Interestingly enough, the colours Dizzy found out for the F-4 topsides are also stated in the Model Art book, but not for the F-1!  :o They list FS colours for the underside and some details, but not the three main topside colours. Those are given in Japanese and some Latin letters: 7. 5GY4. 0/2. 0 for the olive green, 2. 5G4. 0/4. 0 for the other green and 10. OYR7. 0/2. 0 for the beige colour. Is that some Japanese colour coding system?

Oh, and Japanese Voodoos? Great idea!  :thumbsup:
Had intended to do some profiles years ago - even got so far as a blank F-101 profile -, but then the mojo went bust.  :-X

Why does the Vigilante tend to look such a "natural" in RAF colours ? Particularly anti-flash white and low viz roundels.
Because it looks like a 'slim line' TSR2?  ;)

Might be a nice what-if to re-wing a TSR.2 and put some other intakes on her.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:38:53 pm by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Offline Dizzyfugu

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - USAAF P-39 Jetcobra
« Reply #2159 on: July 16, 2019, 12:00:39 am »
AFAIK, the authentic colors for the JSDAF (R)F-4EJs are FS 34097, 34108 and 30372, with white undersides, and I think that these are the same as on the F-1s in tactical cammo . These colors are hard to find for modelers, though, and when you take a look at real world aircraft pictures the impressions of these tones really vary. FS 34097 can, at times look like a brown tone, while FS 34108 is a really bright green with a bluish hue. I chose the colors on my VF-1 based on reference pictures.

IIRC, SPINNERs did a Hawker Hunter FR.10 in this scheme with JASDF markings a while ago - this looked very elegant, too, and even plausible (was earmarked for a build, I even organized an aftermarket camera nose, but has not materialized yet).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:32:04 am by Dizzyfugu »