Lightnings ... um ... edited

Started by Scotaidh, June 10, 2019, 09:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

I've always liked the EE (later BAC) Lightning, ever since I found that the Mk1 (model) could balance on it's stabilizers and fin ... so I've decided to edit the basic shape a bit.

Two bits, actually - first by chopping

and then by stretching:

Kindly disregard the missiles' mis-positioning on the stretch image - they'll be in their proper place on the model.

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

EDIT: you made me dream of similar Mirages (https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=10054.135 ), thanks!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Old Wombat

As the original Fright'ning was not exactly renowned for its long legs, I'd hate to think what the range is on the chopped version! :o

Mind you, it looks cool, & that's what counts! :thumbsup:

Not sure how I feel about the stretched version but at least it'd have a better range. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 11, 2019, 04:24:27 AM

As the original Fright'ning was not exactly renowned for its long legs, I'd hate to think what the range is on the chopped version! :o

It'd be a 'point defence fighter' I reckon.....

A very SMALL point!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2019, 04:53:36 AM

Rutland Territorial Defence Force ?  :mellow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 11, 2019, 06:32:49 AM

Might be too big an area................  ;)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2019, 06:53:30 AM

Will it have enough fuel to get to the end or the runway?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on June 11, 2019, 10:09:35 AM

Gondor

It's a tail sitting VTO fighter, the 'runway' is 0 ft long.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2019, 10:43:13 AM
Quote from: Gondor on June 11, 2019, 10:09:35 AM

Gondor

It's a tail sitting VTO fighter, the 'runway' is 0 ft long.  ;D ;)

Ah but for landing, succesfully, the runway will have to be VERY long!

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Scotaidh

Mind you, it looks cool, & that's what counts! :thumbsup:

Not sure how I feel about the stretched version but at least it'd have a better range. ;)

Well ... much as Kit believes all aircraft need would look better with longer wings, I feel that most military aircraft are disproportionately short and would be improved, both aesthetically and in handling characteristics, by being stretched a bit. 

My justification is the long-tail P-40.  I'd never really thought about improving it - it just was, if you follow me.  Then I saw the two version side by each, as they say here, and it was one of those epiphany moments.

So, some factors for the ideal aircraft:
1: A British test pilot (BTP) saying that the only aircraft he'd ever flown that had "enough wing" was the Vulcan;
2: Another BTP saying that the only aircraft he'd ever flown that was properly powered was the Lightning;
3: Me saying that most aircraft are not long enough to be pleasing to the eye;

and we get a stretched thin (Vulcan-profile) winged Javelin powered by a pair of Pegasus 107s.  :)

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Wooksta!

Personally, I'd give the second - lengthened - Lightning a delta wing, because it would look cooler.  I'd also raise the nose, giving it a bigger radar and a chin intake.  I've been wanting to do that to a Lightning for some time.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 12, 2019, 01:42:37 AM

and we get a stretched thin (Vulcan-profile) winged Javelin powered by a pair of Pegasus 107s.  :)

One above the other?  ;D ;D

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Right.  Since I'm doing both models more or less at the same time, I've combined the build files.  Latest Progress:

The wings are on the Chopped Lightning, and now I'm doing the RWR. This is an upgrade, obviously, to the basic airframe. :)
I'm also upgrading the missiles. I'm not sure if I should go for Sidewinders (or the Matra equivalent) or something a bit longer ranged, like AIM-120 AMRAAMs. Maybe figure out how to have both types of missile capability?
Someone mentioned range - I think that will be unchanged, as there's a lot more wing space. ;)

Finally done with the Stretched Lightning fuselage PSR. Sheet plastic stiffeners under a layer of Aves under alternating layers of Squadron Green and White. New wing locations established. I left the mounting stubs on the wings, and cut holes for them so they're positively located. I'm sure the Jokster Modeling god, Locus, will mock my attempts at port/starboard equal locations, but I did measure - twice. :) The wings are, right now, just on with Testor's Liquid Model Cement which usually gives me good results in spite of the fact that the model is _not_ a liquid ... Once that dries, the joints will be reinforced with super glue.

Weaver

The short Lightning ("Shortening"?) reminds me of the Boulton-Paul P.111 and P.120...

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones