Author Topic: Lightnings ... um ... edited  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Scotaidh

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
Re: Lightnings ... um ... edited
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2019, 12:43:13 pm »
Woh! Heavy metal time! :o

Skean Dhu (a.k.a. Sgian Dubh, apparently) is a great name for a short-range AIM. :thumbsup:

Potato, pommes de terre ...  ;)

I've seen both spellings.  'S what happens when one language uses the alphabet of another language.  :)
"We're all here because we're not all there."

Offline Scotaidh

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 02:30:03 pm »

Weapons mounted

Online Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 04:23:38 pm »
Very cool ! Bombed to the b'jesus that !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline Old Wombat

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 08:13:09 pm »

Agreed! :mellow: :thumbsup:

Skean Dhu (a.k.a. Sgian Dubh, apparently) is a great name for a short-range AIM. :thumbsup:

I've seen both spellings.  'S what happens when one language uses the alphabet of another language.  :)

I knew what a skean dhu was but decided to look it up on Google, anyway (get sidetracked into lots of fun things that way), & almost everything had the sgian dubh spelling, which I'd never seen before.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline Scotaidh

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 02:15:39 am »

Agreed! :mellow: :thumbsup:

I knew what a skean dhu was but decided to look it up on Google, anyway (get sidetracked into lots of fun things that way), & almost everything had the sgian dubh spelling, which I'd never seen before.

Thanks, guys.  I think the missiles were intended to be Sidewinder B's, but the nose is too long and the rear fins have an angled trailing edge and are hugely proportioned, so I just slapped on a made-up name.  The Cambridge Dictionary (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/skean-dhu) has this to say ...  ;)

I have a hard time with Google, MS Word, and Wikipedia being the arbiters of "All Knowledge" - but I've realized that it really wasn't too much different when I was a child.  But then, the sources were World Book, Compton's, Encyclopedia Britannica, Merriam's  and the Oxford English dictionaries ...

In my youth I used to build models as fast as humanly possible, and they looked it.  So, I guess possibly as penance, I take my time - allow glue and paint to dry, take the time to obtain the parts and pieces I need - which means that I'm enjoying the  build process much more.  That does mean, sadly, that I enjoy the finished model less, although it does give me the chance to consider what to build next - always fun.  :D