Charlie’s Chop Shop

Started by Charlie_c67, November 08, 2022, 09:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie_c67

So, this thread will be my ongoing WIP thread where I will be asking you guys for advice when I'm a little stumped.

First up, is a reworking of the classic Matchbox NF Meteor into something a little more...ground poundingeringy. After thinking I'd lost the upper half of a wing I've spent time rebuilding wings from the bits box that were set to take over, only to find the errant piece hiding under a tub  :banghead:  This leaves me with a couple of options on wing and engine placement, I just don't know which to chose! So I turn to you guys for your thoughts.
Below are rough mockups of the options.

Untitled by charlie_c67, on Flickr

Pics not coming up at the moment, though the links work, not sure why but could be down to doing this on my iPad rather than a laptop... I think the engines at the back may be a bit too much, but it works for the Warthog! Equally the swept wings look good, but a little weedy and little to no place for ordnance. So over to you!
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid."

PR19_Kit

I like the second one, rather Canuck-like, and that's always good.

Could do with longer wings though.......................  ;D  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Hmmmm......
NASA WB-57F style? Extra long wings!
Otherwise the A-10 style. Someone built a Meteor with the engines moved to the fuselage on pylons and the holes in the wings filled in and called it the Reaper.
I'll check in with other ideas
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Devilfish

Option 3 for me.  It is, according to Bill Waterton, Gloster's chief test pilot, how the Meteor should have always been.  Also very similar to Avro Canada's CF-100

perttime

Quote from: Charlie_c67 on November 08, 2022, 09:45:27 AM...
Pics not coming up at the moment, though the links work, not sure why but could be down to doing this on my iPad rather than a laptop... ...
Your links go to "pages". Using the Flickr share button (and selecting BBCode) gets this when you paste the code here:

(better select a size too. This one is 800px wide)

kerick

With that big nose you could pack it full of at least six 30mm Aden guns. If the Hunter could carry four, six should be no problem here. That would shred a convoy.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Charlie_c67

Quote from: perttime on November 08, 2022, 11:19:25 PM
Quote from: Charlie_c67 on November 08, 2022, 09:45:27 AM...
Pics not coming up at the moment, though the links work, not sure why but could be down to doing this on my iPad rather than a laptop... ...
Your links go to "pages". Using the Flickr share button (and selecting BBCode) gets this when you paste the code here:

(better select a size too. This one is 800px wide)

Problem is, I'm not getting that icon. Is it Microsoft edge just being stupid or am I missing something? The photos are all public.

Edit: Sorted, seems to be an Edge problem...

Charlie_c67

Quote from: kerick on November 08, 2022, 11:25:09 PMWith that big nose you could pack it full of at least six 30mm Aden guns. If the Hunter could carry four, six should be no problem here. That would shred a convoy.

Ah...the nose has a story attached to it...still, there are four cannons located in the wings! Equally, I believe the RW reaper was meant to carry a 50-something mm cannon as well, though I'm not sure how that barrel would look.

Wardukw

I like this Charlie..different and cool at the same time ..and anything with a lot of fire power works for me everytime   ;D
I had a thought about the idea of mounting the engines high on the fuselage..yes it works on the A10 but that's because they are clear of the rudders..yours would be right in your rudders air flow..that could make your handling quite hard .
The Learjet is the same..single tail but the rudder is high out of the engines thrust line.
I do like those wings with the sweep ..they look a heap more modern and cooler ..which means there better  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

Congratulations for this exploring many possibilities! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=68136.0#topic-2

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=68136.0#topic-1

These are links to the Reaper I was thinking of. I tried to insert them as pics but no go.

Here is the WB-57 now at NASA. This goes back to the Canberra of course but a Meteor based one would be very interesting.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

I always thought that was one damn ugly looking plane and I've always liked it for that..ive had a few 72nd Canberras and B57s but I'd love a WB57 in 48th .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on November 19, 2022, 10:36:46 PMI always thought that was one damn ugly looking plane and I've always liked it for that..ive had a few 72nd Canberras and B57s but I'd love a WB57 in 48th .

You'll need a BIG shelf for it!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Ahhh I was thinking ahead  :lol:
I put up another shelf last week just to be able to build a few more aircraft..there would be space for that beasty  :thumbsup:
Thinking ahead for a model I'm pretty sure you can't even get  :lol:

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit