POLL - Select a name for my hybrid future battleship.

Started by seadude, August 16, 2021, 03:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the name be?

USS United States
2 (8.7%)
USS Liberty
4 (17.4%)
USS Reprisal
4 (17.4%)
USS Hawaii
11 (47.8%)
USS Iwo Jima
2 (8.7%)
USS Wisconsin (Have enough decal numbers for that.)
8 (34.8%)
USS America
2 (8.7%)
Other option. Please list and describe in a post.
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: September 01, 2021, 03:50:48 PM

seadude

3 votes allowed per user. Poll closes on or about Sept. 1st.

My what if hybrid future Iowa/Burke battleship is nearly done at about 80% to 85%.
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=48217.0
I had originally wanted to go with USS Kentucky BBG-66, but after searching through all my spare decals, I found I did not have enough 6 numbers to put at the bow.  :o  :banghead:
USS Illinois BB-65 is out of the question. I will NOT name my ship the state that the Chicago Bears are in. I'm a Wisconsin Packer fan. I hate the Bears.
BB-67 to 71 is also out of the question as those hull numbers were all for the Montana class.
But, I can either go with 73, 74, 76, 78, or 80 as I have plenty of those numbers. I kind of like 80 the best.  :wub: 76 would be my second choice.
So if Kentucky is out for a name, what then? Any suggestions?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Old Wombat

Hmmm?

Carriers are mostly Admirals & Presidents, these days.

Battleships are/were mostly states.

Iwo Jima sounds like a USMC Landing Support Ship.

United States/America are, perhaps, fraught with the same danger as "Deutschland".

Liberty/Freedom sound like recent Littoral Combat ships' names.

California, perhaps?

Hmmm?
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 17, 2021, 03:06:15 AM
Hmmm?

United States/America are, perhaps, fraught with the same danger as "Deutschland".

What do you mean?

Quote from: zenrat on August 17, 2021, 05:05:15 AM
Batty McBattleship.

No. Absolutely not.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on August 17, 2021, 06:05:02 AM
Hmmm?

What do you mean?

I think what Womby means is that the danger in naming a ship after your nation is that it marks it out as a prime target in the event of any War and nowadays it doesn't even need a declared War to make it a target with the prevalence of terrorist groups. If it then suffers damage or even loss in combat the effect on morale can be quite enormous.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

How about George Washington both state and president combined ?

kitbasher

USS Dreadnaught.

Don't be bound by current naming convention.  Have the vessel reflect a new class of warship, like the RN did 115 years ago.  Giving it the same name as an RN submarine will confuse the enemy.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

dadlamassu

To me it looks like something from the kit bashed Gerry Anderson programmes...

USS Thunderbird 

scooter

Well, since Montana and Hawaii are the only two states to have a battleship named after them, those would be the best.  And, whilst there *was* a Montana class, it wouldn't be the first time that the USN reused a state for a class not built - vis a vis South Dakota (1920) and (1939).

But I also think that because the Navy decided that subs are going to be the battleships of the future (Ohio SSBNs and Virginia SSNs), a new naming convention for heavy surface assets should be used, and second KB's Dreadnought
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

seadude

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 17, 2021, 06:10:41 AM
Quote from: seadude on August 17, 2021, 06:05:02 AM
Hmmm?

What do you mean?

I think what Womby means is that the danger in naming a ship after your nation is that it marks it out as a prime target in the event of any War and nowadays it doesn't even need a declared War to make it a target with the prevalence of terrorist groups. If it then suffers damage or even loss in combat the effect on morale can be quite enormous.

No different than naming it USS America. We had a carrier named the America once. I didn't see it come under attack at all.

seadude

A 76 hull number would be nice. Something that invokes the "Spirit of '76" (1776), know what I mean?
Just need to think of some sort of patriotic name. Hmmm?  :rolleyes:

Rheged

I like the Dreadnaught  as a name, also  Courageous, Renown and Resolution.   On the other hand, King George III  or Benedict Arnold are unlikely to gain much support.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

Quote from: seadude on August 17, 2021, 08:53:16 AM
A 76 hull number would be nice. Something that invokes the "Spirit of '76" (1776), know what I mean?
Just need to think of some sort of patriotic name. Hmmm?  :rolleyes:

Revolution?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

seadude

Or how about........
USS Jeff Bezos
AMAZON class battleship
You pick the target and the ship will deliver it's ordnance there in 7 days or less. Guaranteed. 3 days or less if you have a PRIME account.  ;D ;D ;D