Author Topic: I'm back! Help with future battleship project?  (Read 310 times)

Offline seadude

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Think "outside the box"!
I'm back! Help with future battleship project?
« on: August 07, 2020, 12:21:26 pm »
For the last few weeks, I've been planning and beginning to build two 1/350 scale battleship projects. Both of which are Iowa class what if builds.
The main one I want to talk about is building a what if future Iowa battleship, circa 2020's or beyond.

I started painting the main hull and used Vallejo Model Air Color paints. The hull is blue below the waterline based on an actual experimental anti-fouling paint that the TICONDEROGA class cruiser USS Port Royal once had for testing purposes. The color should be "slightly" darker, but I couldn't find the right paint to use, so I went with Vallejo Model Air Color #71.089 Light Sea Blue.

This blue hulled Iowa BB will have a heavily modified Arleigh Burke type superstructure added to it. Since it will be a "future battleship", I am hoping to have 2 (or 3) railgun turrets in place of the older 16"/50 gun turrets. I also want to have possibly 2 anti-missile, etc. laser systems (One fore and one aft.) similar to the experimental system that the US Navy ship USS Ponce tested on board as well.

But having railguns and laser systems means that these things need a lot of power to operate. More than what the regular old fashioned boilers and systems on an Iowa BB can provide. So........I need to go nuclear propulsion/systems. But, that means there's no need for the two Arleigh Burke type smokestack funnels. And that's going to be a pain to cut off and such.  :banghead:  Or.....I thought about maybe if this ship had a CONAS (Combined Nuclear & Steam) system similar to what the Soviet KIROV battlecruisers have? Possibly keep the first funnel behind the bridge structure as is to vent smoke and gases, etc.. But then, what do I do with the second funnel? I thought about maybe modifying the second funnel into some sort of large missile launcher similar to what the Space Battleship Yamato had? (See picture below with yellow circled item.)

So, what do I do with the funnels?
1. Keep funnels as is and have regular boilers and propulsion systems.
2. Cut both funnels off and go nuclear?
3. Go CONAS and have forward funnel for venting of smoke, gases, etc., and modify aft funnel into large missile launcher aka Space Battleship Yamato?
4. Other idea?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Offline scooter

Re: I'm back! Help with future battleship project?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 12:25:41 pm »
My two cents- CONAS, and cut of the forward funnel, and vent out the aft funnel.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline lenny100

• Has smelt the lads of Hull....YUCK!
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 03:16:09 pm »
go  conas and use the forward funnel as the base of a large forward mast, got the same kit myself and turning it into a large soviet super battleship based on the iron man novel by john watson. using a slava class upperworks with some of the original Iowa also
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:22:12 pm by lenny100 »
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Offline sandiego89

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 03:50:20 pm »
Gas turbines for the extra kilowats.  Keep the funnels. 

Gas turbines can provide a good deal or surge power, and are well proven. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Online zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 06:15:05 pm »
I don't know what to suggest regarding your questions, but that blue is very striking.  It looks great.
It's what people will notice first and then go, "but hang about, there's more going here than just a paint change..."
 :thumbsup:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere for your convenience..

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 07:08:55 pm »
Why not go CONAS and leave the aft superstructure off entirely? It's basically just a funnel with two f/c radar platforms and one weapon platform on the back. If it doesn't have SARH SAMs then it doesn't need the f/c radars anyway.
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 06:21:05 am »
How about CoNAS, keeping the aft funnel & increasing the size of the forward funnel into a sensor tower as per the RN Type 45 (Daring-class) destroyers or USN Zumwalt-class.

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Online Scotaidh

• Full scale Arrow in basement
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 05:15:33 am »
Go nuclear, but keep the funnels, using them as towers for your laser emplacements.
I try to learn from the mistakes of others who take my advice.