Main Menu

The 'Secret' prototype.....

Started by PR19_Kit, July 30, 2020, 07:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

My other build for this GB is a car, a very different car, as it'll be a normal car, but a prototype, but with one of those disguise bodies over the top of it. I'm using parts of three different car kits for the model, one old, one medium old, and one relatively new, and the disguise body shell will be scratchbuilt from styrene sheet. I don't think anyone does a kit of such a shell so I've got no option really.  ;D

The main body shell was moulded in China some years ago, and parts of it are 3/16" thick!  :o I've been hacking large lumps of it away with the aid of my mate Pete's high-power Dremel-like machine, and I was amazed at the thickness of the mouldings. It must have cost them a fortune in styrene pellets!

The engine, from the medium age kit, is assembled, as is the rear suspension from the same kit, and bits of the modern kit will be grafted into the old kit to ensure the more modern stuff will fit.

And no, I'm not going to post any pics until it's done, just for a change. Then I'll post some build pics as well as those of the complete machine.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

This should be good; I always like those hacked-together test mules  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Hacked is right, the amount of stuff I've sawn away from the chassis of the main car is pretty impressive!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Lockdown stir crazy build, eh Kit?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Exactly!

Going way back to my 1960s car testing days.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2020, 08:44:26 AM
Hacked is right, the amount of stuff I've sawn away from the chassis of the main car is pretty impressive!  :o

Is there anything left of it or is that a secret  :mellow:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

LOTS of it left, it's a big car.  ;D

I had to dig out the moulded in engine compartment to fit the new engine and the entire rear suspension too as the setup that it will have there is totally different

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The underframe of this build is now mostly two BIG holes, one at the front to take the new engine and front suspension, and one at the back for the rear suspension.

I wish they wouldn't use black styrene for so many of these type of kits, it makes the very DEVIL of a mess on the carpet while cutting and filing! :(

I've had to re-jig the engine as the sump was at the wrong end and clashed with the front crossmember, but it's sorted now. Goodness knows where the mega-complex exhaust system is going to go though, I see large amounts of plastic rod heated up and bent into strange shapes in my future!

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

McColm

kitbasher

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

tigercat

A big car you say .  Does it have long wings ?

PR19_Kit

It's 1/24, and it has got long wings already.  ;D

But 'wings' in the car world, meaning the bits of body that go over the wheels. That's 'fenders' in American....

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2020, 03:03:27 AM
It's 1/24, and it has got long wings already.  ;D

But 'wings' in the car world, meaning the bits of body that go over the wheels. That's 'fenders' in American....

Thought fenders were bumpers?