The REAL Wessex HC.2 Protatype

Started by Gondor, July 11, 2020, 02:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Well the title says it all really.

Basis for this build is the Revell boxing of the Italeri HAS3 with a touch of my own imagination.

One if the things I will have to do is scratch build the seats for the interior but I shall use the seats from the Italeri HU.5 as a guide. Another guide are a very nice set of drawings I found on the web which the kit appears to match quite well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Had a slight misshap with the kit. Iv'e lost the window for the doorto the troop cabin  and don't have a spare :banghead:

So the question is does anyone have a spare I can get?

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

sandiego89

Quote from: Gondor on July 12, 2020, 09:19:54 AM
Had a slight misshap with the kit. Iv'e lost the window for the doorto the troop cabin  and don't have a spare :banghead:

Gondor

No spare, but if it just a square or rectangular side window, suggest scratching one up from a household recycling item. Sharp scissor or blade will do nicely. I have had good luck making flat replacement windows from clear plastic packaging such as this paint touch up package.  In fact sometimes it scales out better than the too thick clear plastic in many kits.  You can trim to fit, or in some cases make it larger than the opening and just tack to this inside of the kit.

Good luck!

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Gondor

Thought I better put up someking of picture to show what I am doing with this build. As the aircraft is a troop carrier for the Royal Air Force it was thought that there would be no reason not to have the troops the helicopter carried embark/disembark from either side of the cabin, so a prototype aircraft was constructed with doors on both sides so the troops could do just that.

Above you can see that I have started the hole in the side for the second door. The furthest forward window has been blanked off and filler applied to bring the blank and fuselage sides to the same level.
Below is the new door, the shape and window position were copied from the HU.5 kit I have. I used a mini drill to reduce the thickness of the door to take the spare window from the HAS.3 kit.

Gondor

The thinning of the door is not perfect, it was my first attempt though and I believe I can manage to use this door rather than go to all the bother of making another especially if it was to be of two layers of thinner card or the same thickness as this one is, 0.03", which matches the kit door well enough.

Gondor

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 12, 2020, 02:25:32 PM

Gondor

No spare, but if it just a square or rectangular side window, suggest scratching one up from a household recycling item. Sharp scissor or blade will do nicely. I have had good luck making flat replacement windows from clear plastic packaging such as this paint touch up package.  In fact sometimes it scales out better than the too thick clear plastic in many kits.  You can trim to fit, or in some cases make it larger than the opening and just tack to this inside of the kit.

Good luck!

It's an idea, but not one I hope to have to resort to. After finding the drawings for the HAS.1 and realising it should be possible to model one from the HAS.3 kit I could easily buy another HAS.3 thus having another window available. Would still like to get a spare from anyone who has one available though, just as a back-up. The main problem at the moment is getting the new door marked out accurately.

Gondor

Dizzyfugu

Gondor

Humbrol's Cleafix could be an option - even though the window looks pretty large for the liquid stuff.

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 13, 2020, 01:10:35 AM

Gondor

Humbrol's Cleafix could be an option - even though the window looks pretty large for the liquid stuff.

Roughly 0.5cm by 0.5cm Dizzy so I think so too.

Gondor

Gondor

The fuselage side door was cut out. Slight problem as it ended a little bit forward from where it should be due to the paper guide being slightly out of place. Fixable and I think the repair can be hidden which is also good.

Gondor

zenrat

I've thought myself that the Wessex should have doors on both sides.
Which is why I added one to my Sky Pirates build.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Interesting build. Yes it will be somewhat like that but with the earlier engines and the undercarriage from the kit rather than a Lysander.

Gondor

zenrat

Feel free to copy my paint job.   ;D

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2020, 05:11:28 AM

Err, nope

Going to be some kind of company livery as a private venture. Probably going to be a combination of two puke inducing colours as was typical of the period  ;D

Gondor

TallEng

Quote from: Gondor on July 15, 2020, 06:11:45 AM

Err, nope

Going to be some kind of company livery as a private venture. Probably going to be a combination of two puke inducing colours as was typical of the period  ;D

Indeed :thumbsup:
One could quite easily see imagine something like overall lime green with a chestnut brown Lightning flash style cheatline  :o

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Gondor

Quote from: TallEng on July 15, 2020, 01:33:22 PM
Quote from: Gondor on July 15, 2020, 06:11:45 AM

Err, nope

Indeed :thumbsup:
One could quite easily see imagine something like overall lime green with a chestnut brown Lightning flash style cheatline  :o

Regards
Keith

What a great sounding combination, I even have thouse colours in stock!  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor

Managed to get a little modelling done on this. Had some success and some failure too. Started well with using a set of dividers to scribe where the door window was to go using the door from the HU.5 kit as a guide, I also scribed where the rear of the new door should be and easily managed to use my mini drill to power away the excess plastic, pity I hadn't though of how to scribe the dimensions earlier or I would not have had to add plastic to the front of the new door area due to cutting the opening too far forward  :banghead:
While checking the fit of the window into the HAS.3 door, I had to cut the hole out, I dropped the window. That's two lost windows for exactly the same thing, the doors  :banghead:
The good news was that I found it again, still don't know where the first window went  :blink:
The other bad thing that happened was that I made a real mess of the hole for the door window, so much so that I decided to add the window, partly to not lose it again but also partly to form a basis for filling in the gaps around it  :banghead:
No pictures of that door until I fill the holes which are so bad they make my scratched door to be a work of art  :rolleyes:

Gondor