Douglas Baby-31 Redmast Air (finished page 3)

Started by Tophe, October 27, 2019, 03:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

In the topic https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=47024.0 I explained that I bought the Anigrand XB-31 Raidmaster 1/144 kit, because I wanted the (included) XP-54 Swoose Goose 1/144.
But the XB-31 will be built also, of course, not sent to garbage. I don't like bombers but I will decrease its size into a baby plane, civilian or animal.

At first I planned to focus on the XP-54 part, but I needed to check if the content was complete also on the XB-31 part. So here are the parts, all right:

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

This is the project of making it a baby triplex-boomer:

PR19_Kit

I wonder why the XB-31 had such a HUGE fin?  :o

There's not that much area forward, and it's got quite a slim fuselage.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Just imagine that aircraft stalking  you,  with only the fin showing though the cloud layer!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Quote from: salt6 on October 30, 2019, 11:29:30 AM
Wingspan.
Indeed with such a large wingspan, and nothing else to add to the overal stability, it would require a large keel area to make it work.
Mind you as they used to say "if it does not look right, it will not fly right" and that beast does not look roght !
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Tophe

Quote from: JayBee on October 30, 2019, 12:40:49 PM
Mind you as they used to say "if it does not look right, it will not fly right"
To "look right" sounds for me as to "look realist", and I prefer dream or gentle madness, maybe more in a what-if spirit... ;)

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on October 30, 2019, 07:16:25 PM
To "look right" sounds for me as to "look realist", and I prefer dream or gentle madness, maybe more in a what-if spirit... ;)

Proportion is all, and whatever one may say of your builds, mon ami, they are proportionate - and I love that.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Quote from: Tophe on October 30, 2019, 07:16:25 PM

I can't speak for JayBee but for me to "look right" means that looking at it gives me pleasure.  I can't put it into words and I certainly can't quantify it objectively.  Proportion is part of it but there are lots of other elements.  It's not just "is it realistic" or "would it work".

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

OK, thanks.
For me: "looking right" (for an airplane) is "being twin-boom" ;D
This XB-31(+XP-54/5/6) was the first Anigrand kit I bought and I was surprised there is no sprues, but maybe that's normal for resin kits. I used for booms sprues from my Caudron C-174 Heller 1/72:

Tophe

Here are the parts I am going to use, truncating the fuselage after the wing, and truncating the wings out of the engines (using only external parts here, into a glider). The booms will be oblique into a layout like \!/

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 12, 2019, 06:36:09 PM

That's pretty wild stuff Tophe !

I don't think Tophe does 'UN-wild' stuff, does he?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

"wild" seems to mean "uncontrolled" and yes, all of us what-ifers are not controlled by Historians (but we are a little controlled by moderators, hehehe  ;D )...
And the butcher came  :-\ to cut the huge XB-31 model into 2 little airplanes:

Tophe

For more than one week, I am adding putty, layer by layer, slowly. There is the cockpits big hole to fill, as I have not used the transparent part for the two canopies side by side (1/144), but this will be a saliplane like canopy of single seater, 1/72 or 1/48...
Below is the basis and a simplified view of the project:

comrade harps

Whatever.