Vultissop XP-5456 at 1/144 (finished page 2)

Started by Tophe, October 26, 2019, 05:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

For a long time (seeing great Vultee P-54 twin-boom models
TomZ's https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=46060.msg831017#msg831017
Narses2's https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,43620.msg764601.html#msg764601
), I was dreaming of building a XP-54 of my own, but transformed, not just with « in service colours », and as it was too big for my shelves, I wanted to make a 1/144 version. Alas it was not existing as a kit, only in the Anigrand XB-31 kit, together with Curtiss XP-55 and Northrop XP-56, the other pushers of this program (not twin-boom but canard and tailless). And, after the insurance company gave me money, I had the opportunity to buy this XB-31+ kit. Anyway, I will make a separate topic for the B-31A/B someday, here now I plan to mix together the XP-54 + 55 + 56... into XP-5456.

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

That's a BIG job you've set yourself there Tophe. Best of luck with it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks!
Here is the project of mine:

Rather simple, I guess (I mean: in my way, without undercarriage and these sorts of things) ;)

Tophe

Ahem... the canard front tail (drawing above) made like a third boom while I prefer the twin-boom layout, so this may be modified in the mass-produced version (ordered in 50,000 copies by the Peace Air Fun of the Dream planet):  ;)

Tophe

Here are the parts for realist modellers (not me):

Tophe

And here are the parts I plan to use:

Tophe

To show how small this is at 1/144 scale (not like the xB-31, far bigger in the same kit), here is a picture with fingers:

zenrat

What clean hands and neatly trimmed fingernails you have Tophe.
They put mine to shame.

Good luck with this build.  I am looking forward to seeing it.  I think you might need to use some stiff wire to pin the parts together to add rigidity.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on October 27, 2019, 05:04:36 AM
What clean hands and neatly trimmed fingernails you have Tophe.
They put mine to shame.
The explanation is that I am disabled without work anymore (and without garden).
If you are a manual hard-worker, Don't feel ashamed: you deserve more congratulations than me. <_<

Tophe

As the propellers' blades are separate parts, not fixed on the spinners, I may use them elsewhere, and I think I will have a 6-engined push-pull airplane  <_< , more what-if than the first project of mine :-\ :unsure:  (that was too much serious, I agree  :angry: ):

Tophe

There is a "serious" (technical or aesthetic not military) need for the final plane to be twin-boom, not having 4 booms, so:
(turning lateral fuselages into pods)

Tophe

Well advanced now:

Later, I have to cut the XP-54 wings tips, glue on there the external XP-55/56, paint and glue the propeller blades (I think I will let the model in this color, rather good for me).

chrisonord

The p 5456b looks like a  high altitude  long endurance  bird Tophe.  Perhaps a pollution  monitor  aircraft  and the engines  run on ethanol
I like it  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

I've never thought of using a pair of pincers to remove the flash from Anigrand kits, and there's always a fair bit of flash, but it might be worth a thought especially in 1/72 let alone 1/144. :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Thanks!
The model is not finished yet but it is already what-if: the Ascender part of it is now push-pull (and without air intake).
I use only 2 blade propellers, this way there is no need of undercarriage for ground clearance, ahem... :-\ ;D