Sky Pirate Flying Dinghy - Finished Pics Pg9.

Started by zenrat, March 14, 2019, 02:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I've just done some very rough calculations and even if the two "gas bags" I am using to provide lift were completely "filled" with vacuum (my buoyancy medium of choice - 14% more efficient than Helium) then they would still only have a lifting ability of about 250kg.
Given the dry weight of the Svetsov M-62 engine alone is 560kg then my design is obviously a non starter from a realistic point of view.

Lucky this is whiffworld then.
;D

Today I commenced sanding filler in an attempt to make a Kinder Surprise capsule look less like a cheaply made, greasy plastic container for a throwaway toy and more like something capable of resisting the immense forces it would be subject to if evacuated.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

I'd suggest you fill your kinder surprise eerr.. pardon gas bags, with an anti-gravitational heavy metal. The heavier the metal, the higher the upward pull.  ;D
This way you can be sure to lift the Svetsov, the tiller-man, all the contraption.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Old Wombat

Of course the "gas bags" could be made of Cavorite, Inerton or Upsidaisium & be filled with a gaseous form of Unobtanium, which in this case would be lighter than pure vacuum. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 31, 2019, 08:01:15 AM
Of course the "gas bags" could be made of Cavorite, Inerton or Upsidaisium & be filled with a gaseous form of Unobtanium, which in this case would be lighter than pure vacuum. ;)

Liftwood  as used in Space 1889 might be useful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1889  Especially this quote:-One of the treasures that spurred the Europeans to Mars was "liftwood": a rare cultivated plant with anti-gravity properties that allowed for the construction of giant floating ships. While the Earthers used Martian sky galleons at first, they later constructed their own armored, steam powered flyers.

Handwaveium....a substance much referred to by marine engineers at Vickers, Barrow in Furness  in the early planning stages of the Trident fleet might also be considered.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Well obviously, once you've pumped out the atmosphere to zero PSI, you just need to keep going to produce a negative vacuum that's even more buoyant...  :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Thank you for your suggestions gentlemen.
All are being considered for the back story.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

And pray tell, what will this contraption be called by one and all?  Can I make a suggestion?  How about the "Lightening"?   ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Hmmmm, I had't thought about a name other than either Swallow or Amazon.  Lightenings not bad though.

For the buoyancy i'm thinking through a concept i'm tentatively calling Bootstrapium.    ;)
Fred

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on April 01, 2019, 02:46:20 AM
For the buoyancy i'm thinking through a concept i'm tentatively calling Bootstrapium.    ;)
Working class Cavorite?  ;D

Weaver

As an alternative, how about Unobtanium's gravitationally polarised alloy, Upobtanium.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I made some notes last night.  The most pertinent part is the description of Bootstrapium as a "self damping gravophobic element".
This means that as a gas it repels gravity producing lift.  However, when compressed into a liquid the proximity of the atoms to each other dampens the revulsion and no lift is generated.
This means that buoyancy of my flying dinghy can be controlled by pumping Bootstrapium between the gasbags and a pressurised storage tank.
So no need for any ballast.

Today I did a bit more PSR on the gasbags.  The old style Kinder Surprise capsules were in two halves which pushed together.  These would have been perfect for the use I am putting them to but I don't have any of them.  What I do have is the newer type which appear to be moulded in one piece and which have seams and indentations to be filled.
This filling would have been easier if I had done it before I built girdles around the gasbags but I had to do that first to check the glue would hold on the greasy plastic.
Fred

loupgarou

Excuse me, Fred:
1) which glue did you use? It can be an useful info, as those pesky balls can come handy in various occasions
2) in ONE piece? How could the surprise inserted (and extracted) then?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Sorry Loupy, I wasn't clear.  Not one piece all sealed up like a real egg but one moulded piece which is then made, through a second process, into a pod with a hinged lid.

I scuffed up the greasy plastic with wet & dry paper and then glued styrene to it with Araldite 5 minute Epoxy.
It appears to be holding.
Fred

loupgarou