The Rules

Started by NARSES2, February 24, 2019, 06:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right here are the rules for the G.B.  Apologies for the delay in getting this up, but I've been struggling to get my brain around it. If you are unsure as to whether your idea fits into the G.B. or not then please contact the moderators to check (PR19 Kit and Narses2). They will then discuss it and get back to you with an answer. I think for this G.B. we will definitely be playing it on a case by case basis. So if unsure, ask.

1. This GB runs from the 1st March 2019 until midnight of 31st May 2019. Extensions will be considered in the normal way nearer the date.

2. So what does the G.B. encompass ?  Broadly it includes any type that could be considered even slightly unusual or unconventional at the time it was conceived. So VTOL/STOVL, Tilt wings, Zell types, Helicopters and other rotary types, lighter than air types etc which were conceived and built let alone the really odd types the honourable members can come up with.

If you have an idea for something that gets off the ground (or tries to) by methods other than the vehicles forward motion causing air to travel over an aerofoil surface then it's probably included. If in doubt ask.

3. Models, drawings, artwork and stories are all eligible.

4. Models already started are allowed as long as major building work has not started before the GB begins. Check with the Moderators. 

5. Finished models and profiles to be posted (with picture and link to build thread) in the finished builds thread within the overall GB thread in this Board. Please do not post comments in the finished builds thread.

6. Have FUN. 

8. Moderators are PR19 Kit and Narses2.

9. There is no rule 7, don't EVER ask about rule 7 (O.K. so sometimes it's Rule 6 that doesn't get mentioned, but Rule 7 had a right moan about being overworked last time out so I gave in ).

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

A question if I may?

Would it be permissible to saw a major part in half before the start date, for the purposes of making a (non-glued) mock-up?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

Can you kitbash from other started whiffs?

sandiego89

I like the rules Chris. 

Good stuff- thanks as always.

Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on February 26, 2019, 02:26:29 AM
A question if I may?

Would it be permissible to saw a major part in half before the start date, for the purposes of making a (non-glued) mock-up?

I don't have a problem with that as long as that's all you'll be doing.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on February 26, 2019, 03:57:30 AM
Can you kitbash from other started whiffs?

This is the rule that applies Models already started are allowed as long as major building work has not started before the GB begins. Check with the Moderators. 

So it really does depend on how far you got with the original model.

PR19_Kit

What Chris said..................  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks for the clarification  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 26, 2019, 08:01:50 AM
Quote from: Weaver on February 26, 2019, 02:26:29 AM
A question if I may?

I don't have a problem with that as long as that's all you'll be doing.

Great - thanks. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TallEng

Can i enter a Harrier?
built as a Harrier.
I refer to the 'Leaping Heap' as opposed to any '30s biplane that may or may not
have used that name.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

The Mods will have to debate on that one I'm sure.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on February 27, 2019, 01:53:43 PM

Can i enter a Harrier?
built as a Harrier.
I refer to the 'Leaping Heap' as opposed to any '30s biplane that may or may not
have used that name.

Regards
Keith

The Mods have moderated and have decided that a Harrier is OK, so you can proceed.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Cheers Kit :thumbsup:
Proceedings will proceed as soon as I return home from sunny Sweden ;D

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Putting my Moderators hat on Harrier's get in under the definition of "Unusual and unconventional" because they certainly were and to a large extent still are.

Vorcha

Hi, I have this idea, but I'm not sure if this fits the requirements for this GB...

So the subject is a dragon with forward wings made of mutated eyebrow tissue...

Now I know, that's not a machine, but if you think about it, a definition of a machine can be, that it is an extension of the human body in one form or another. As such, mankind has utilized many different contraptions to overcome the limitations of his body - and for hundreds of thousands of years that was mainly done by means of organic "things" made of wood for example or, in other cases by using "living matter" - animals (besides stones of course). (Now in modern german law for example - and others, animals are not seen as "things" anymore, but they have been in the past, since man has become conscious...).

So this is the rough outline of the story: The specimen shown here is a product of breeding by the Valyrian Freehold, a political entity in the "A song of Ice and Fire" world by George R.R. Martin. While subduing it's neighbours, the Valyrians extensively relied on dragons, which they first encountered and tamed on the valyrian peninsula, thousands of years ago. However at some point their enemies began working on better and better heavy scorpions, basically oversized bows, with which they began scoring more and more ground to air kills against manned dragons.

Though dragons were numerous at any time in valyria, maintenance and training for them was exceedingly expensive, as well as the payment for skilled dragon riders. When losses began mounting, the valyrian high command began searching for ways to make dragons more maneuverable, but to limited success. A new breed however promised a significant increase in maneuverability and thus increasing survivability in case of enemy ground fire: A breed that developed canard wings from its eyebrow tissue.

Research and development of this new breed would take several generations of dragons to optimize. As soon as a few "prototypes" where available, one was rushed into combat testing on the northern front against the city state of Qohor. While on duty there it prooved to be far superior to regular breeds in service and the high command prepared to issue an initial request for 20 dragons of this new breed.

On the day of signing, however, the Doom of Valyria happened. As one of the few surviving valyrian dragons, this specimen was extensively used by the surviving dragon lords. But poor maintenance and irregular food supply proved to be very detrimental to the still very sensitive animal and it died within a year of the Doom.

...so... is it ok for the group build?  :angel: :angel: :angel:
paper boy