F-82 or A-Something Tri-Stang WIP

Started by b29r, April 30, 2018, 08:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b29r

After seeing Kit's beautiful Tri-Stang, I just had to have one . . . .  so shamelessly copied his  :wub:.  I really resisted extending the wings, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized he was right  :banghead:, they really did need some longer span.  Not 100% happy with how this turned out, but think it will be ok.  Recently got some of this Perfect Plastic Putty, and it seems to be pretty good stuff  :thumbsup:.

And this one will just have to soldier on with the Allison motors, but like Kit's will need a contra rotating prop on the center engine  :mellow:.

Still trying to work out the background story, but I think this one will be going the USAF night intruder route, we'll see.

Best regards,
Kem

PR19_Kit

Nice one Kem.  :thumbsup:

It wasn't my idea to lengthen the wings oddly, I used the outer panels at standard length to start with, but JayBee pointed out that only an extra centre section wouldn't provide enough lift for an entire extra fuselage that was full of fuel anyway.

Did you remember to PSR the fuselages before you assembled them? It's a REAL pain to do afterwards as there's always a fuselage to get in the way of your sanding, puttying, sanding and re-scribing etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

b29r

Thanks, Kit.

The fuselage halves are glued, as are the outer wings, but the fuselages and tail planes are only dry fit at this point.  So the wing is only rubberbanded on.  Trying to take this one slooooooow so as to minimize mistakes  :-\.  Well, I build slow anyway  :banghead:

Tell me again what I need to watch out for  :o. ?????    Also, I have a pair of T-33 tip tanks available . . . . do you think that is going too far?  Remember, you are our Tri-Stang expert here and I need lots of help ;).

PR19_Kit

That sounds good.  :thumbsup:

Because the model has raised panel lines they all disappear when you sand off the joints, so you have to sand off the WHOLE airframe really, and either scribe them back on, which is what I did, or ignore any need for them and sand it smooth.

It's best to sand the three fuselages BEFORE you glue assemble the model though, as it's damn difficult to get at the inner sides of the fuselages when they're all in one piece.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

b29r

Firefox

Nice! Can't wait to see it completed

PR19_Kit

It'll double the world's population of Tri-Stangs when it is done.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

b29r

Thanks guys!

FF:  I hope you don't have to wait too long  :-\.  I am still deliberating about the mission and the resultant livery.  I hate masking, so prefer single color schemes  :thumbsup:  Thanks for your interest!

Kit:  It would be nice to have more Tri-Stangs as there are just so many possibilities with this one  :mellow:

Tophe

Goooood!!! :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
Ahem, to make your one different from Kit's, maybe you could make it a single seater, this is not too late. No? I know military reasons would prefer a two seater but for a what-if toy, everything's possible... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

b29r

Hi Tophe!
Thanks for your note. . . . it technically wouldn't be too late as nothing is fixed yet.  But I do happen to have three more F-82 kits  :wacko: sooooo what if  :lol: one of the F-82's was in fact a single seater ala the Reggiane prototype from WWII?

Hope you are feeling much better, it's great to hear from you :thumbsup:

Best regards,
Kem

Tophe

Quote from: b29r on May 04, 2018, 08:05:32 AM
I do happen to have three more F-82 kits  :wacko: sooooo what if  :lol: one of the F-82's was in fact a single seater
You make me dream... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: b29r on May 04, 2018, 06:28:26 AM

Kit:  It would be nice to have more Tri-Stangs as there are just so many possibilities with this one  :mellow:

Are there enough Twin Mustang kits left in the world though?

Maybe we could have a Tri-Stang GB one year? I fancy an RAF one, in PR blue of course with triple camera fits in the rear fuselages.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

b29r

I hope so  :mellow:  Wish some other mfgr would be willing to take it on  ;)  It didn't take me long to scare some up, but there may not be all that many.  It has been released a few times, tho.

I have a U-2 kit for you, but about fell over when I checked international shipping rates  :o  Will have to figure something out there.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: b29r on May 04, 2018, 03:08:18 PM

I have a U-2 kit for you, but about fell over when I checked international shipping rates  :o  Will have to figure something out there.

That's OK, don't worry about it. I still have 3-4 of them in The Loft I think.

I'm sure you'll be able to think of something to do with those lovely looooooong wings.  ;D

Regards
Kit

b29r

Quote from: Tophe on May 04, 2018, 09:11:35 AM
Quote from: b29r on May 04, 2018, 08:05:32 AM
I do happen to have three more F-82 kits  :wacko: sooooo what if  :lol: one of the F-82's was in fact a single seater
You make me dream... :thumbsup:

Tophe:

Good dream! :thumbsup:  I feel a Reno Racer coming on   :wub:

Kit:

Shorten them?   :wacko: