Chyeranovskii BICh-26

Started by 63cpe, March 02, 2017, 10:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

jalles

I know everyone has already beat me to it but it must be said again, awesome work!  I need to take the plunge into resin casting, for some reason it's always intimidated me.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

63cpe

Easter update! at last some time to work on the Soviet GB models....First the Chyeranovskii:

Cockpit detail, engine face and ducting is made (won't see much of it, but you know it's there.. :rolleyes:). Now left to dry, upper and lower halves will be glued tomorrow...
IMG_20170416_155229052_HDR by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20170416_155154831 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20170416_155306502_HDR by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Outerwings, flaps and vertical tail are cut from plasticart. The airfoil will be made by one shape piece of styrene on the upper half and one on the lower half, filling it and sanding it to shape.
IMG_20170416_163246781 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Dimension study with 1/72 Dragon MiG-17. MiG-17 is about the sizes an the Chyeranovskii
IMG_20170416_174624552 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20170416_174732844_HDR by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20170416_174822997 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Tomorrow I hope to get some of the paintjob for the Tu-32P done and make me some more bombs for the MiG-25 Foxbat-G...

David

PR19_Kit

That's looking better and better as you go on.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I'd keep the plastic card surfaces separate once you've sanded them to shape.  Then you can mould them, plus the exhaust, so you've a basic kit.  Given the interest shown in the thread, you'd have quite a few takers.  Even as it is so far, it's vastly superior to any of the garbage that Unicraft foists on unsuspecting buyers.

Quote from: 63cpe on April 08, 2017, 12:11:29 PM
Today another lesson learned in in making moulds...Never try to make a mould from main gear with shock absorber forming a triangle (like mig-15/17, OV-10, etc). The master wouldn't get out of the sillicone once hardened... Had to cut it out ruining the mould...

Not necessarily, it depends how you've cut the mould.  All part of the moulding/casting learning curve.  Look at the way other manufacturers do theirs, that usually gives some good ideas.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

63cpe

Thanks PR_19 Kit and Wooksta!

@ Wooksta: I will try to make it an all resin kit including outerwings, tailcone, vertical tail and flaps... I'll do another try to make a mould of the U/C legs, think i'll make it a two piece mould horizontally split. Now, i'll have to master pouring resin without airbubbles.

I didn't make a mould of the Revell Me-262 cockpit tub and to complete the model you'll still have to use a MiG-17 canopy and a KK-2 ejection seat, those are easily found though....

David

Tophe

Wow! Great shape, harmonious and inventive! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

63cpe

Thanks Tophe!

And some progress made:
Casted a 2 pieces afterburner can from an Airfix lightning, fits perfect for the Mikulin AM-5! On the upperside the tailcone and to the right the resin casted Undercarriage covers from a Dragon MiG-17:
IMG_20170417_172518674 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Tailcone and afterburner is fitted and puttied. Puttied the wings, vertical tail and flaps earlier:
IMG_20170417_180440846 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Body is finished, only vertical tail needs to be fitted...
IMG_20170417_180506574 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Hope you like it!
David

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Loving this. :wub:  A type I've always liked and wanted do, but I've never had the guts to tackle.  Very glad to see this one taking shape. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

63cpe

Thanks Mossie,

I'm not only tackling one model of it, but made mouldings of it. So, I can cast resin copies of it.....After i've finished the model (when the Soviet GB is over...), I can make copies and if quality is passable, I'll make them available for purchase....So, you can make a whif out of a whif....Make a GDR-AF or Polish-AF BiCh-26 of it...

David

Mossie

I'll be interested! :thumbsup:  I must admit when I've thought about it, I've leant towards a GDR machine.  Something about the lozenges being at odds with the curves.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

63cpe

OK, have to keep you posted when copies are available.... I don't think the lozenge's are getting odd. Just like The Mig-15 and -17's the GDR had the lozenge's on the tail (= flat) and the outer wings (= flat surface)... only the bort number might get a bit odd....

David

The Wooksta!

From what I've seen so far, the resin castings are more than passable.  Certainly 1000% superior to the garbage that Unicrap sells for top whack.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TheChronicOne

Glorious work there, bud!!  I'd say this whole shootin' match has been a successful venture.  :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-