Yakovlev Yak-29 "Flatiron"

Started by Librarian, February 20, 2017, 12:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

This is going to be a mash-up of Airfix's mighty 1/48 Javelin and either a SU-15 or Mig-25 radome with a new rear end from Alley Cat. Only problem at present is waiting for the radomes to arrive before building commences...just hope one comes close enough to fit. Also, might take a week or two for the Alley Cat resin to appear, so in the meantime I'll start on another Japanese project I've been considering...or just take a reading break ;D.

Librarian

All parts in place so ready to go...nixed the Alley Cat resin as too expensive and not really necessary:

Looking forward to this one...might have to splurge on some hardware ;D

PR19_Kit

That looks pretty mean, and I love the NATO code name, perfect for a Javelin derivative.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Very good choice of parts and esp. the nose!  :thumbsup:

Should look awesome in NMF and with some large Red Stars.  :mellow:

The only thing I'd (mildly) criticize is the NATO ASCC codename. While it's most suited, it's not a two-syllable word for jet fighters...  :rolleyes:

Picky, I know.  :angel:

Librarian

Really want to do NMF but I'm sorely tempted by the camo schemes occasionally seen on SU-15s :

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal10/9501-9600/gal9599-Su-15-Bartolacci/00.shtm

Have to flip a coin again :banghead:

ChernayaAkula

Yeah, natural metal for that traditional Soviet air defence vibe or one of the cool camouflaged versions? Looks like you're gonna have to build two!  :thumbsup:

Just an idea: can you get your hands on some Su-15 or Su-9 twin-seater canopy? The heavy framing could help a bit with a bit of additional Soviet-ness, while at the same time replacing the quite distinctive Javelin bits.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Librarian

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 23, 2017, 08:33:14 AM
Yeah, natural metal for that traditional Soviet air defence vibe or one of the cool camouflaged versions? Looks like you're gonna have to build two!  :thumbsup:

Just an idea: can you get your hands on some Su-15 or Su-9 twin-seater canopy? The heavy framing could help a bit with a bit of additional Soviet-ness, while at the same time replacing the quite distinctive Javelin bits.

The canopy will be getting some attention but I'm seriously low on funds, so I've been trying to make use of kits/parts to hand with some low cost additions. I'm also bothered by the T-tail....not very Soviet. Researching that at present. As a delta I'm wondering about doing away with it altogether :-\.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on February 23, 2017, 10:16:38 AM

I'm also bothered by the T-tail....not very Soviet. Researching that at present. As a delta I'm wondering about doing away with it altogether :-\.

Why not?

And square off the tips of the surfaces while you're at it too. Maybe even 'reverse sweep' the upper line of the fin, that's a typical Soviet outline.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2017, 10:32:16 AM
Quote from: Librarian on February 23, 2017, 10:16:38 AM

I'm also bothered by the T-tail....not very Soviet. Researching that at present. As a delta I'm wondering about doing away with it altogether :-\.

Why not?

And square off the tips of the surfaces while you're at it too. Maybe even 'reverse sweep' the upper line of the fin, that's a typical Soviet outline.

That's great advice...and makes me feel better about the tail. Thanks :thumbsup:

Weaver

More Sovietization:

1. The row of vortex generators on the outboard wing upper surfaces is very 'British'. A more 'Russian' solution would be a couple of wing fences.

2. Likewise, the wing-mounted guns arn't very 'Russian' either. How about 4 x NR-30s located outboard of the intake ducts, two above the wing and two below it? That would give each intake a 'half-a-typical-Russian-nose' look.

3. Soviet subsonic drop tanks of the period tended to be teardrop-shaped and have small diagonal anti-sway braces. Why not see if you can find something along those lines?

4. Obviously, period Soviet missiles would be preferable, but you'd either have to rob those from another 1/48th kit or buy some, which might be expensive. Alternatively, you could modify the Firestreaks: move the wings back a bit, replace the tail controls with triangular canard surfaces, and fit a conventional radome or hemispherical IR window (see AA-3 Anab for inspiration). Of course, any 1/48th AIM-9B can play the part of an AA-2 Atoll.

I agree with ChernayaAkula about the canopy, but I also note your response re cost. If I was doing this in 1/72nd, I'd use the Airfix/Heller Javelin T.3 which has a longer nose and a more conventional canopy.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

"Wing fences, we need wing fences!"

At least three pairs!  ;)

zenrat

It sounds brutal, but the easiest way to fit wing fences into a wing that wasn't meant to have them is to take to it with a razor saw.

Cut the wing where you want the fence, glue a too large piece of thin styrene sheet to one half with styrene cement.  When dry glue the other half of the wing back on.  When dry trim the fence to shape.

This beats the heck out of trying to cut the styrene to the profile of the wing, keeping it straight while the glue sets and then filling and sanding any gaps.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I've done Soviet size wing fences before by taking a razor saw to the upper surface of the wing, angled slightly down toward the LE, and then sawing until the cut's not quite all the way through.

Then take a chunk of the sheet styrene as Zenrat suggested and glue it into the slot. As the bottom of the slot will be a straight line (or it will be if you've swan it correctly....) the sheet will fit nicely, and when it's dry you can then trim to shape as required.

I wish I could remember what I did that on so I could post some pics.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Starting to feel like a flea under the microscope ;D

The vortex generators are definitely gone and replaced with fences...another headache, one or more, high or low :banghead:

The tail is really bothering me...

Could this aircraft have had an all moving tailplane like the Vigilante or TSR-2...I don't recall anything Soviet having one (TU-160?)...but could be a fun idea.

I have located a bunch of racks and pylons from the remains of a Jaguar kit, including a weird looking recce pod...could almost pass for Soviet. Starting to seriously consider blowing my last few pounds on a Trumpeter MiG-23 or 27...great tailplane, lots of racks and wads of weaponry for a reasonable price.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on February 24, 2017, 04:55:28 AM

including a weird looking recce pod...could almost pass for Soviet.

Yes indeed, that Vinten recce pod the Jags carried always looked as if they'd loaded it on backwards!

Regards
Kit