Yakovlev Yak-29 "Flatiron"

Started by Librarian, February 20, 2017, 12:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Librarian on February 24, 2017, 04:55:28 AM
<...> Starting to seriously consider blowing my last few pounds on a Trumpeter MiG-23 or 27...great tailplane, lots of racks and wads of weaponry for a reasonable price.

In that case.... how about Trumpeter's Su-15UM?   :wacko: Twin-seater canopy, cool tail, a nice quartet of AA-3 Anabs, and probably some further bits (ejection seats, wheels,...) that could be pilfered to Sovietize the Javelin.

EDIT: Might even be cheaper than the Floggers.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Looking at other Soviet deltas, I's say just two wing fences, fairly low, located at the point where the wing leading-edge sweep changes. They need to go right to the leading edge, but they don't need to go all the way to the control surface hinge-point: maybe 3/4 of the way.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Librarian

Some fantastic advice, many thanks. SU-15UM is a good idea but the cost at present is out of my reach. I've got to the end of April so I've plenty time to plan ;D. Might get round to doing the Hornet....

Librarian

A kit that has taken me by surprise is Trumpeter's SU-9U...I've been Googling for ideas and this kit cropped up. It comes with four early missiles which I'm rather keen on and a very nice canopy. I'm leery about buying the kit just for these parts but the rest does have whiffy possibilities.

I'm still toying with the idea of just building the kit pretty much OOB with Soviet markings, much like the Draken...maybe just change the radome, exhausts and add fences, although I've noticed that most deltas (esp, Soviet) do not seem to have them. Only aircraft with highly swept, non-delta wings. Still, they look good so I will ;D

Captain Canada

This is going to be neat ! Love the name already  :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Librarian on February 27, 2017, 04:55:56 AM
A kit that has taken me by surprise is Trumpeter's SU-9U...I've been Googling for ideas and this kit cropped up. It comes with four early missiles which I'm rather keen on and a very nice canopy. I'm leery about buying the kit just for these parts but the rest does have whiffy possibilities. <...>

Errr, see post #9 (and #15).  :wacko: Not just the weapons and canopy, also consider the cockpit parts (such as ejection seats) and the vertical and horizontal tails.

The Su-9 wouldn't look bad with Firestreaks and in Javelin colours. Maybe some faired-in ADENs with Sabrinas? The Javelin canopy? A T-tail?

DO IT! You know you want to!  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Librarian

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 27, 2017, 07:56:02 AM
Quote from: Librarian on February 27, 2017, 04:55:56 AM
A kit that has taken me by surprise is Trumpeter's SU-9U...I've been Googling for ideas and this kit cropped up. It comes with four early missiles which I'm rather keen on and a very nice canopy. I'm leery about buying the kit just for these parts but the rest does have whiffy possibilities. <...>

Errr, see post #9 (and #15).  :wacko: Not just the weapons and canopy, also consider the cockpit parts (such as ejection seats) and the vertical and horizontal tails.

The Su-9 wouldn't look bad with Firestreaks and in Javelin colours. Maybe some faired-in ADENs with Sabrinas? The Javelin canopy? A T-tail?

DO IT! You know you want to!  :wacko:

I should have mentioned that when I read those earlier posts I wasn't aware of the SU-9U kit being available...but now I know... :wacko:.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 27, 2017, 04:58:57 AM

Did you know that's what the RAF crews called the Javelin in service?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 27, 2017, 11:46:59 AM
Quote from: Captain Canada on February 27, 2017, 04:58:57 AM

Did you know that's what the RAF crews called the Javelin in service?  ;D

You might not believe this but I had no idea. It LOOKS like one...great minds, and all that ;D

An idea for the "Flatiron" being converted to a ground attack fighter (which allows me to keep the F code :wacko:)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on February 28, 2017, 11:32:59 AM

An idea for the "Flatiron" being converted to a ground attack fighter (which allows me to keep the F code :wacko:)

VERY Soviet, yes!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Still waiting on parts.....:banghead:

Going to be a single-seater as I tinkered together the perfect canopy for one. A true delta with a Mig-23M tail and the SU-15 radome. Had a 'speak-of-the-devil' moment as I picked up an incredibly cheap Alley Cat conversion off Ebay so she'll have a nice Soviet-style exhaust as well ;D

Fences and guns are still being mulled over....

Captain Canada

I did not know that ! I do now tho, so quit bugging me lol. Something new everyday eh !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Librarian

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 06, 2017, 07:34:46 PM
I did not know that ! I do now tho, so quit bugging me lol. Something new everyday eh !

:thumbsup:

....er!! :unsure:. What did I say?