Re: #1 DONE @ p.2 +++ Lend Lease F4U-1A "Korsarski" (PantherG tribute)

Started by Dizzyfugu, January 13, 2017, 01:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, things from my side will start "softly" in this GB. The Lend Lease agreement makes a nice background for US planes with Red Stars, and this GB is finally a good excuse to tackle one that has been on the agenda for long - actually a creation posted by PantherG in his thread:

Originally posted in 2010 here (with two more profiles): http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,29685.15.html

Kit will be an 1:72 Academy F4U-1D, mostly build OOB. And the good thing: I do not need a NATO reporting name for this one! <_<

TheChronicOne

Excellent choice and the profile there is really cool so I can't wait to see it.  I love the "use the colors we had" to cover up US roundels.
-Sprues McDuck-

Librarian

This will be nice :thumbsup:. Love to see her completed with a female pilot ;D.

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. This one will also be decked out with RS-82 missiles under the wings (still in the order pipeline, but there's lots of time left until work actually starts) and maybe a single bomb under the fuselage.
I've also found some nice Soviet Naval Aviation "nose art" decals that might be added, too. Looking forward to this one, and how the overpainted markings will look on hardware.  :mellow:

Dizzyfugu

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Dizzyfugu

Having (more or less) finished two other builds, things started moving here yesterday. The major ingredients:

1:72 Chance Vought F4U-1D "Corsair" of an unknown Morskaya Aviatsiya (Soviet  Naval Aviation) unit, VVS Pacific Fleet; August 1945 (Whif/Academy kit) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Academy F4U-1A/D is certainly not really up to date anymore - I also had the new Revell kit in my hands, which is very nice, but then went back to the original plan. Some details like the exhaust arrangement are fishy, some details (e .g. around the cowling) are weak, and you have flaws like deep ejector marks on the wheel flanks. But on the plus side I must say that fit is very good, surface detail fine and it actually looks like an F4U.  :lol:

So, here we go.

Dizzyfugu

From the design department: While things will stay true to Wenzel's original profile design, I might add some more touch-ups where former US marking had been - not only the Stars & Bars, but also tactical markings on the fuselage, fin and the wheel covers (front side).

Dizzyfugu

No pics yet, but painting makes good progress. Basic colors applies, as well as the overpainted US markings. Washing and weathering next.  :mellow:

Dizzyfugu

Some "live pics", up to the current project status on the work bench; Color palette for the F4U; left side the basic tones, and to the right additional colors for shading and weathering.

According to real life color pics the Pacific USMC/USN F4Us suffered heavily under the climate, with highly faded upper colors.

1:72 Chance Vought F4U-1A "Corsair" of an unknown Morskaya Aviatsiya (Soviet  Naval Aviation) unit, VVS Pacific Fleet; August 1945 (Whif/Academy kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Landing gear wells have been painted in zinc primer, with white landing gear struts. Now the launch rails have been added, too, on the metal wing panels just outside of the guns.

1:72 Chance Vought F4U-1A "Corsair" of an unknown Morskaya Aviatsiya (Soviet  Naval Aviation) unit, VVS Pacific Fleet; August 1945 (Whif/Academy kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Upper sides in classic FS 34052 and FS 35414:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Painting the underside with FS 36495 - a very light grey instead of pure white, which is pretty harsh, even with weathering.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And now things start to look "authentic". The overpainted former US markings are created "by hand", the rough style is appreciated:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Black ink wash and post-shading/weathering next.  :mellow:

TheChronicOne

I've already seen one really cool Corsair today and I'm ready for another! Looking good.. I do love the "sloppiness" going on with the "overpainting. "
-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

comrade harps

Whatever.