Re: #1 DONE @ p.2 +++ Lend Lease F4U-1A "Korsarski" (PantherG tribute)

Started by Dizzyfugu, January 13, 2017, 01:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

I didn't know about the oil-tape solution, but seem it on pictures. I also like the worn and used looks of this F4-U, and the overpainted US stars and bars. It sure is plausible (just, why not??)

Great one!'
David

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

comrade harps

I love it!  :wub:

[/quote]

And, as another side note: the weathering looks dire, but from color pics of USMC aircraft in the Pacific TO I found in literature the operational aircraft could even look worse, heavily sun-bleached and the front section literally drenched in spilled oil. I tried to find a compromise, and I think it looks good. Still drastic, but quite realistic.

[/quote]

Yep:
Whatever.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 06, 2017, 08:43:50 AM
That port elevator looks more than 'slightly' weathered!  :o

The driver is looking pretty "weathered" too
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

As an addendum, Wenzel's profile and my model spawned further ideas - in this case from fellow modeler and artist FrancLab from Canada (on FlickR) - check these lovely SovSairs!  Love the one on skis... :wub:

Corsairs soviétiques / Soviet Corsairs by François, on Flickr

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 07, 2017, 01:02:20 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 06, 2017, 08:43:50 AM
That port elevator looks more than 'slightly' weathered!  :o

Termites! ;D

Yep - 25mm high velocity termites...

(distantly related to the .303 bookworm of Discworld fame..)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Librarian

I'd agree with the quality of the weathering...those stains off the tank are just so right. Love the overpainted US markings, they really make the right impression :wub:.

Looking at that photo of Balch sitting on his damaged tailfeathers I've always wondered how long that plane was on a supply ship as the plane had already faded by the time they removed the rudder lock :o.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

I just warmed this thread up because "my" fans in the Ukraine got notice of the Korsarski; again, I have no relations to this forum, it's just a re-interpretation of my material on FlickR:

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Falternathistory.com%2Fsovetskie-korsary-istrebiteli-bombardirovshchiki-chance-vought-f4u-1a-corsair-aviatsii-tikhookeansko&edit-text=

I hope the translation link works, otherwise, here's the original post:

http://alternathistory.com/sovetskie-korsary-istrebiteli-bombardirovshchiki-chance-vought-f4u-1a-corsair-aviatsii-tikhookeansko

Most funny (or disturbing?) is the first comment...  :unsure:

"I wonder what dizzyfugu colleague so we dislike? All of our aircraft, in any case during the Second World War, his face grimy as hell knows that: even the Su-5 , although the Corsair ... If it is so, "revenge" to us for what beat his countrymen (he's German ) - because he is so and humiliates: it turns out, they have lost some ugly duckling ..."

LOL! Never imagined that somebody could take a weathered aircraft model as a "national insult" and act of hate after 70 years...  :party:

HOW dull can people be? I am - once more - amazed!

They'll certainly also get hold of the Fastback, and I am curious what they will dislike this time...  ;)

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 02, 2017, 12:37:23 AM
LOL! Never imagined that somebody could take a weathered aircraft model as a "national insult" and act of hate after 70 years...  :party:

HOW dull can people be? I am - once more - amazed!

They'll certainly also get hold of the Fastback, and I am curious what they will dislike this time...  ;)

I used to be on a military history/theory forum (now defunct) where we had Germans, Poles, Russians and Ukrainians. When they kicked off with each other, you'd think WWII ended a week-last-Wednesday... :-\
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

I actually got and get the impression that WWII left a lot of DNA damage all round the world... Still showing after several generations.  :-\