World aviation museum and gate guard map

Started by reddfoxx, October 18, 2016, 08:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddfoxx

Oh, no.  Hopefully being restored or relocated.

Nick

Quote from: reddfoxx on November 21, 2021, 07:43:05 AM
Oh, no.  Hopefully being restored or relocated.

They were taken down in 2016. Sources say they went to Molesworth for storage and eventual disposal. They were utterly corroded inside after years of no maintenance.

reddfoxx

Thanks for the updates, deleted from the map. 

One problem with something this size: it will never be up to date.  I started it in 2015, and I try to keep things current, but just never know.  I appreciate your corrections.

Just passed 12,000 entries.  1941 museums, 8946 gate guards etc., 1135 miscellaneous (memorials, replicas, ones deep in amusement parks you have to pay to reach, etc.)

Rheged

Just noticed this    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-6113992  on the BBC news website.  Report below

A church is hoping to raise £18,000 to install a stained glass window commemorating the Dambusters.

Scampton Church wants the window installed to mark the 80th anniversary of the founding of 617 Squadron at RAF Scampton in 1943.

The "bouncing bomb" raids on targets in Germany during World War II set off from the RAF station.

The church said the project would be a "meaningful tribute".

RAF Scampton is due to close by 31 December and the church installed a window referencing the base last year.

Joe Bartrop, project coordinator, said the new window would be "a sister" to the existing one.

"The whole idea is that the whole of the south wall of the nave will be a lasting memory and a meaningful tribute to RAF Scampton," he said.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

reddfoxx

reddfoxx

Another update: more than 13,000 entries on the map.  1995 museums, 9824 gate guards and air parks, 1252 miscellaneous sites (tours, memorials, etc.)  Check it out at https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=14nb7XSdTw61sS4gR8sJdJXHC2Qdl9zZL&usp=sharing

Or join the Facebook group, The International Aviation Museum Guide.  Map is pinned at the top.

Captain Canada

Been awhile since I checked in ! Thanks for this  :cheers: :bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

reddfoxx

No problem.  Just plugging away.  I keep an eye out for armor and stuff for you when I'm traveling. 

reddfoxx

Captain Canada is big on armor.  Whenever I am planespotting I keep an eye out for armor, and he has found loads of planes on his trips.

Captain Canada

They messed up my work visa application twice. The second time my Nexus card was revoked, as they think I will sneak over to work. Been battling for about a year now to get both back. Quite maddening I mut say, as now I cannot travel for work or pleasure. Hopefully it gets resolved and I can start travelling again !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

reddfoxx

The Rat

Regarding the A-6, at NAS Whidbey Island, Google shows an A-3 Skywarrior beside it.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

reddfoxx

Do you mean the gate guards at 48.33216, -122.66876?  I have an A-6 and A-3 noted there, and I see them on Google Earth.  Thanks though!

reddfoxx

Time for another update.  I think we have all the aviation museums in the world on the map.  No, really!  It'll never be fully done, of course, with the occasional opening and closing, and every once in awhile I do stumble on a new small one, but it's as complete as possible.

I am going back through and making corrections, adding photos and information where possible, etc.  Checking to make sure display planes are still actually there.  Adding memorials, etc., from new sources.  Please take a look and post any corrections or updates.

Today's numbers:  2071 museums, 11211 gate guards/air parks, 1356 memorials/tours/etc.

TIAMG aviation museum map

The International Aviation Museum Guide Facebook group