Author Topic: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)  (Read 257851 times)

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)
« Reply #3870 on: March 26, 2020, 11:44:31 am »

2002 has been such a strange year....

2002?  :o

I can't remember that far back, I was still working then!  ;D
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3871 on: March 29, 2020, 01:13:34 pm »
One thing is certain, my typing skills have diminished of late.  ;D ;D ;D

No builds update.... other than that little 30 minutes of work I did about a week ago it's been something like 2-3 weeks since I've done any model stuff. Work stuff has taken over my life and the infinite list of chores ain't going anywhere so I've been chipping away at it all trying to get as much done as possible so that some time in the near future I CAN sit down and work on builds without the guilty nagging feeling that I'm skipping out on more important things.

With all this in mind... I have repaired the yellow truck that broke down...    I even used it at work today. Very good feeling having that out of the way. It was a huge pain the arse but I saved a princely sum not having a mechanic do it and with all the debt I've accumulated I couldn't afford it anyway. So... now I have a truck and a back up truck. What I'll do is use my little Ford Ranger for all the light duty stuff and grocery getting because it is much better on fuel and save the big powerful yellow truck for heavier jobs. Right now what I'm going to do is load yellow up with all the lawn service stuff....   the Ranger is a wee bit small for it. I can't put my weedeater in the cab, for instance, like I can with Yellow and at the end of a long hard day putting that stuff up in my garage is almost too much. So... on the days I have lawns to do I'll use Yellow, and on the days where all I'm doing is picking up trash or just running errands, I'll use the Ranger. Also, the RANGER has AIR CONDITIONING so when the heat wave hits, I'll transition to using it exclusively so I don't fry to death and if something goes wrong, I'll have yellow as a backup.

Right now I'm getting both trucks cleaned up.... they are both akin a pig sty. Also doing a lot of inside chores. Probably going to be rain in a day or two so on THAT day I might get back to working on builds. I still have plenty of inside chores to do but none so important that I can't finally make time for respite and fun. That's important, too. There's never any real free time, but I can FORCE free time every now and then lest I become too overburdened and stressed out again and end up sick from it.

Generally feeling much better, too. Only thing is, my back is still quite messed up from the hospital bed and stuff. Irony... supposed to go there to get better, not feel worse. This has been one of the worst episodes of having my back going out that I've ever had. Closing in on two weeks of it, now... it normally only does this crap for about 4-5 days.

That's that I guess.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:15:16 pm by TheChronicOne »
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
« Reply #3872 on: March 29, 2020, 02:14:24 pm »
Try to take it as easy as you can, bro. I know it's hard and you have to do stuff in order to get paid but better not risk getting burnt out again cause that would be worse, right?
Hope your back gets better soon. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3873 on: March 29, 2020, 03:41:27 pm »
Will do.....   I think you're right. I'll go ahead and schedule a couple down days soon. Before the next lawn cycle which starts this Thursday. Well, I still have a couple "floaters"  (not turds, but people that sort of just call up from time to time) that could get ahold of me and I'd naturally schedule those but if no one calls, I don't have to mow anything until Thursday unless I wanted to mow my own again. I did it a week ago and it nearly needs it again on account of all the rain.  ;D 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:55:22 pm by TheChronicOne »
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #3874 on: March 30, 2020, 03:07:04 am »
Take it easy if you can mate.  Bad back is not something i'd wish on anyone.
Look after yourself.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

My name is Commander William Riker.  Take me to your women.

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3875 on: March 30, 2020, 03:33:31 pm »
Wilco..... I got up and washed one of the trucks then decided that was enough for today and have been just relaxing ever since. Got a couple hours in on the Pluto. Done a wee bit of everything..... painted, glued, masked, sanded, decalled, clipped, cut, and and even used some sheet styrene.

-Sprues McDuck-

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #3876 on: March 30, 2020, 03:52:46 pm »
That's looking veeeeery interesting!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
« Reply #3877 on: March 30, 2020, 06:17:41 pm »
Good stuff! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3878 on: March 30, 2020, 08:34:20 pm »
Cheers, fellers!  It wasn't a lot to look at but sure felt I got a lot of stuff done. Some of it was stuff that always makes me seem to procrastinate (like masking canopy) so getting some out of the way should grease the skids on the rest and hopefully I'll find myself highly motivated and getting a lot more done in the near future.  <_<
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #3879 on: March 31, 2020, 01:54:03 am »
Yeah.  Sometimes you can work hard all day on something then sit back, look at it and go "huh, what have I done today?".  You know you've put the time in but there is very little to show for it.
This applies to real life as well as modelling.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

My name is Commander William Riker.  Take me to your women.

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3880 on: April 03, 2020, 08:31:48 am »
Glad to get that tedious piddly poo-poo out of the way at least. That stuff keeps me up at night. lol  Still have to figure out what to do at the leading edge of the gear pylons...  The rest is at the point where I can fill in with miliput and start the final refinements before I scribe panel lines. 

That said, I feel dang near like I ain't even in the hobby any more. I've just been so busy or pre-occupied or just tired. But...... I've found another crappy rainy day and since most of the inside chores are caught up I can work on this for awhile this afternoon.   Might have enough to update the thread for it finally.  :angel:
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3881 on: April 04, 2020, 09:54:36 am »
Duplicate post from the thread for the Pluto. Since this is all I have going on, may as well post it here, too.

Finally getting some stuff done. I'm still sticking with the mantra of "do all the most difficult, most tedious things first and get them out of the way." I've never done so much of this stuff so it's painfully slow but I am happy to report that much of it is going better than I ever imagined it would and piece by piece I'm getting things done.

OK... so... I have the canopy Futured, masked, and glued on. The nose fairing thingy is in the correct shape. It still needs refining with glazing putty and wet sanding to get it smooth and all that, but the structure is there. I've also managed to start to get the gear nacelles built and blended into the wing. Here I have put more gas tank parts on at the rear edge of the wing.

That was a week or two ago or whatever. Yesterday I was back at it, trying to get more done on these areas. I finished out the interior portion of the cockpit.

I've also found a thing to stick on the front of the main gear nacelles.

I just need to decide on how to finish the top sides. I might put some half pieces of tubing across the gap or just blend it in... or... something. The question is, what the hell are these things at the front?  Little holes in there and angled downward so perhaps they're some sort of surface penetrating radar array thingies or something to detect subs. Or... something....

Work on this today will involve the aforementioned blending of the tops of the gear nacelles into the tops of the wings. Once that is done, all that is left is filling in the gaps and sanding it all smooth then lastly scribing panel lines for the gear doors.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #3882 on: April 04, 2020, 09:58:17 am »
They could be forward firing sonobouy launchers, or chaff dispensers even?

I like your 'make do with what I've got' approach on this one.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #3883 on: April 04, 2020, 02:03:06 pm »
Thanks!!  Nary a thing on this belongs with the other things.  ;D   100% spare parts and ingenuity! It's even mixed media, now. The turbofans will be made of paper.  I had made some templates out of some card stock to copy onto sheet styrene when I was like... "well, why not just use THESE?" It's not like they're load-bearing or anything.  :wacko: (plus, I can use scissors to cut the individual blades to give it a 3-D look). The "spinners" are left overs from the F-RSIN ATR-72.     

I'll have to find some resin antennas to go on it, too, just so I can say it's triple-media. Got things from space ships, passenger planes, prop figthers, super sonic bombers, super sonic fighters, and who knows what else. I might try to find some car kit parts to cram into, too, just so I can say they're there like with the resin antennas. Talk about a motley crew...... 

-Sprues McDuck-

Online Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #3884 on: April 05, 2020, 03:36:35 am »
 :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est