Author Topic: Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on  (Read 201188 times)

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on
« Reply #2265 on: March 15, 2019, 07:03:50 am »
Made a little progress on all the current projects bar the Hurricane as I still can't find the canopy mask. Still I'll park it for now and have another trawl next week.

The B&V has had her paintwork done so I can look at the markings. Going to be fairly minimal so won't take long. I've also found a drop tank from I think an Me 110 which is rather on the large size and will do as a pod to house the necessary cameras for her P.R. role.

The Breda's interior is done and it's basically a tubular structure as per the real thing. It's a tad fragile so I think I will construct the fuselage and then insert it from underneath. Test fit shows it should go in fine, but then how many times do test fits work splendidly and then you commit to glue and ..... :banghead:

Meanwhile been doing the canopy framing for both the PZL and the B&V and there's a fair bit on both. Now this is the aspect of the process I dislike the most and also the one I am even more useless then normal at. It's been made even worse by my eye problem and I've really been struggling with these two kits. However they are now done and the B&V isn't that bad, the PZL isn't quite at that level. I've reverted to my thin strips of painted masking tape method  for both of these and made a slight change to the way I do it for the B&V and that seems to have worked. However if and when I find the Eduard Hurricane mask, and if and when that works then Eduard masks, where they exist, could become my fall back position. We shall see.

Decals my @r$e!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #2266 on: March 15, 2019, 02:58:43 pm »
I've started searching out masks whenever I can. I bought my first set just a couple days ago, in fact. I'm from now on going to throw money at my canopy and window framing anxiety.  ;D

I look at it as an actual cost saving thing... so I pend $10 for a set of masks but save 2 hours of time... so I in essence bought myself 2 hours at $5 a piece. Time is money, and that is a bargain.

I'll close by saying.....  "better you than me" on that framing!!! I don't like doing it either!!!!  ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #2267 on: March 15, 2019, 03:14:09 pm »
A friend of mine masks in two stages; she masks and paints the vertical bars first, then removes the masking and masks and paints the horizontal (or vice versa would work, too).
I don't know how much existing paint is removed when removing the masking in the second stage, but if it's only a little touching up, that's better than freehanding the whole thing.

Just a thought, FWIW.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2268 on: March 15, 2019, 05:06:43 pm »

A friend of mine masks in two stages; she masks and paints the vertical bars first, then removes the masking and masks and paints the horizontal (or vice versa would work, too).
I don't know how much existing paint is removed when removing the masking in the second stage, but if it's only a little touching up, that's better than freehanding the whole thing.

I quite like that idea, you only need to apply strips of tape instead of actually cutting squares and rectangles out of the stuff.  :thumbsup:

I may give that a go when I get back to aircraft modelling. 
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #2269 on: March 15, 2019, 06:45:26 pm »

I quite like that idea, you only need to apply strips of tape instead of actually cutting squares and rectangles out of the stuff.  :thumbsup:

I may give that a go when I get back to aircraft modelling.

Happy to add to the pool of knowledge, hope it works for you.  <_<
One day I'll remember it in time to try it myself...  :rolleyes:

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2270 on: March 17, 2019, 04:06:04 am »

I've tried something similar in the past and it can work well, but really depends on how much framing there is on the canopy and more importantly how well defined the frames are. Some of the Japanese WWII canopies are absolute  :banghead: :banghead:

Decals my @r$e!

Offline joncarrfarrelly

• Bertie Bassett
  • What-IF SIG
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2271 on: March 18, 2019, 02:47:50 pm »

I've tried something similar in the past and it can work well, but really depends on how much framing there is on the canopy and more importantly how well defined the frames are. Some of the Japanese WWII canopies are absolute  :banghead: :banghead:

I guess you'll just have to build nothing but Nakajima fighters.  ;D ;)

"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2272 on: March 19, 2019, 06:33:21 am »

I guess you'll just have to build nothing but Nakajima fighters.  ;D ;)

Certainly easier then Zero's  ;)
Decals my @r$e!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2273 on: March 24, 2019, 07:07:36 am »
Right here's an update :-

Both the Hurricane and the PZL 42 are finished  :thumbsup: No photos yet as I'm waiting to finish the B&V before doing all 3 at the same time.

Talking of the B&V, she is on her legs and has her markings, despite her wings constantly getting in the way of things  :banghead:, indeed she is on the final straight. However she won't get finished this week as I'm off on a "boys trip to the seaside" with 4 old school mates during the week so no modelling.

No progress on the Breda or the Whitley.

The next 3 prospective builds have been drawn from the stash, 1 real world and 2 Wif's, but I want to get the B&V done first. The Whitley and Breda are going to be "fill in gaps" builds.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2274 on: March 25, 2019, 07:23:21 am »
You occasionally get those "what the heck" moments. Well I had one yesterday afternoon.

At the recent Southern Expo I bought Airfix's re-boxing of their rather splendid Hawker Typhoon. I intend doing this as the post War 245 Squadron aircraft with it's rather subdued sharks mouth and chequered tail band. Now looking at the instructions yesterday it turns out that the aircraft also had the inside of the undercarriage doors painted blue with a white trim. The INSIDE of the doors ! What the heck must the poor old ground crew have thought when asked to do this ?

Decals my @r$e!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2275 on: March 25, 2019, 08:22:00 am »
There must have been an AOC's Inspection due that day!  :o

When Dad was i/c the MT section at Benson I recall some frantic re-painting of fire tenders and fuel bowsers prior to such an occasion. Mum's face when Dad showed up for our evening meal with his hands a mixture of RAF Blue and Post Office Red, as well as him stinking of white spirit, was a picture!  ;D ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:25:15 am by PR19_Kit »

Regards
Kit

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2276 on: April 01, 2019, 06:22:00 am »
The B&V 155 is almost there. I just need to finish and then attach its camera pod.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this kit. It's Special Hobby at their best I think. An unusual subject, well tooled with good fitting parts making for a pleasurable build  :thumbsup: They have now issued a "What If" boxing in the form of the proposed fighter version https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SH72372, the version I have is the prototype although it includes the necessary bits for the fighter, I think.

I'm tempted by this, although I was wondering if the heavily framed canopy is there because of the pressures it would be subject to, or if it's just an example of a heavily framed Luftwaffe canopy ? They did seem to like their framing. Another idea was to assume the prototype was captured by the Soviets rather than the British and taken back to Mother Russia to be put into production to defend against possible B-29 raids ?

Decals my @r$e!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2277 on: April 01, 2019, 09:14:31 am »
That 155 looks a lot better job than the Pegasus version, no matter how finely engraved the latter was.

Regards
Kit

Offline The Wooksta!

• Resident Soup Dragon
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #2278 on: April 01, 2019, 04:34:35 pm »
The Pegasus kit was a copy of a CMK resin - I have both and can see who copied who.  The Special Hobby kit released some 10-15? years back used the CMK as a master - there's an odd scar inside the wing that looks like a join line.  I think that the current release is a retool using the same masters.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"Now then, Butch Harry. Tell us about Fulham."

The Plan - a Blog
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.html

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2279 on: April 02, 2019, 05:56:46 am »
I think that the current release is a retool using the same masters.

I'm no expert on these matters, but I would say it's certainly a fairly recent tooling. If it has used the older masters, and I can see the benefits of doing that, then someone did a good job on them back in the day and it also goes to show how far SH have come in their ability to tool subjects up.
Decals my @r$e!