Narses2's Blog - or what I'm slowly making progress on

Started by NARSES2, April 21, 2012, 02:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I thought I'd give this Blog lark a try and to start with I'll take you for a short trip down memory lane.

I started modelling almost certainly in the late 50's or possibly 1960 (I'd have been 7 or 8) with the ubiquitous Airfix 1/72 Spitfire bought for 2 shillings from the local Woolworth's. Well the bug soon hit big time and very soon all my pocket money/paperround money was being handed over the counter at Woolworth's on a Saturday morning. In those days Airfix came out with 4 or 5 kits a month  :rolleyes:

After a while building series one kits I graduated to some of the larger stuff and for Christmas and birthdays I would get some of the even larger kits as presents. The Airfix Ju52 sticks in the memory for some reason. Probably the fun of getting the transfers to go on over the corrugations  :wacko:

Between 7 and 15 I must have built almost all the Airfix series one aircraft and armour models produced as well as a fair few of the ship models, dad being ex RN and that. I did build some others, mainly Revell but the ones that stand out are the old Monogram quarter scale kits. The Dauntless, Avenger and Helldiver with their working parts and the Fw 190 with it's multitude of armament options. I still use the old Monogram Me 109 box to keep my stock of RAF Squadron codes in.

I suppose my next big step was when the Airfix Magazine came out. In those days it was not only kits but railway layouts, model car racing, wargaming and various other bits and bobs. I started doing some of the more simple Alan W hall and Chris Ellis conversions. A P-36 from the Airfix P-40 and a Halifax cowling, a Pz III from the Stug III and a cut down Panther turret etc.

At this time I was sharing my interests in modelling with wargaming but in 1968 it all changed. Yup you've guessed - women came along. So apart from some occasional dabbling with the Matchbox armour range I didn't do much modelling at all for the next 30 years or so. I was still buying Airfix magazine but that was about all I was doing.

I can't really explain why I got back into modelling it just seemed to find me again. I think it was the Revell Ar 240 nightfighter in Modelzone at Holborn that caught my eye. Anyway I bought it and was bitten again. I started to buy the aircraft specific modelling magazines and was hooked for sure. I made a few mistakes in those early years. I assumed you needed all the resin and etched goodies to be a proper modeller and probably wasted money on stuff I will never use before I learnt the truth.

From a review in SAM I learnt of Lee's old Padded Cell and subscribed. The WIF bug bit deep. Then one night while pulling a 24 hour special at work (this would have been 1999 and the Millennium Bug farce) I found this site, then run out of New Zealand and I had a home. From there it was easy to find the UK Wif SIG and after a few tentative feelers at my first SMW I joined and made a lot of new friends who have stayed with me since then, along with a fair number of new ones since then. As an aside for anyone not sure of the UK SIG we do sometimes seem a bit insular, but that can be the nature of the hobby, we honestly don't bite (well Radish might  :wacko:) so just say hello at a show and you might be surprised at the reaction. At least it's a place to park your bags and bum  ;D

Over the last couple of years I've gradually come to realise what my main interests are - 1930 to 1950 approximately, mainly 1/72 aircraft - although I will and do sometimes dabble with other periods, scales and genres. Importantly I've also come to be comfortable with my own skill levels. I will never be of compatition standard but I enjoy what I do and that's the main thing. Another important thing about the SIG is that no one ever looks down on someones models and this acceptance that modelling is meant to be fun actually tends to raise your own skill levels because you relax.

I suppose I'm mainly a repaint man when it comes to wiffing (my builds are approximately 50/50 real world and wif) but I have been know to do the odd simple conversion and you never know I might one day go farther down that road when I feel comfortable with a subject, we shall see.

Well that's the introduction. I'll follow with what I'm working on at the moment
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

As promised I thought I'd list what I'm working on at the moment -all 1/72 unless stated

Airfix Me 110, out of the box real world, just needs some finishing touches.

Academy P-39. This is for the Aussierama build and is part inspired by Panther G profile on site. Hopefully will get it's transfers early next week.

Airfix Helldiver. Again inspired by a Panther G profile, this one will be Soviet.

Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk II destined for service with SEAC. Will be primed next week. Nice kit apart from the resin wheel wells which take eons to sand down to fit  :banghead:

Airfix Zero - will be real world. Parts pre-painted on sprue.

On the "been there a while shelf" and there's no real reason why any of them are there.

Freightdog P177N
Kora Miles M20 - Naval version
AZ Breda Ba 65
Trumpeter Wyvren
Anigrand Chain Lightning

Then there's those on the "lost interest for the moment shelf" which include a couple of 1/144 Anigrand kits.

That's it for now.

Comments are more then wellcome and hopefully I'll update this once a week or more if I make progress.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Chris, I'm SO pleased that someone else has grades of un-finished projects.

I like the different shelves idea, I may adopt that myself.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

One important thing I forgot to note was that during my formative modelling years one of the big discoveries was BMW's in Wimbledon. This iconic modelling store introduced me to the world of alternative transfers. I'd spend ages going through the big binders they had in the shop on a Saturday after getting the train down from Croydon. I built a whole line up of Airfix Me 109 G's from virtually all the nations that used it from what I think were Almark sheets ? I also got that snake for the Airfix Stuka. I've still got and use some of the RAF squadron codes and roundel sets and they must be nigh on 45 years old !

BMW's also started bringing in some Japanese kits as well. A lot of these were 1/75th scale if I remember but were out of my reach as far as price went back then.

Chris

PR19_Kit

I'm amazed you and I didn't bump into each other back in those days at BMW Chris!

I also spent ages going through their GINORMOUS decal books. I loved the ABT and Hisairdec ranges, they all seemed so exotic to me at the time. I still have an ABT sheet for Closterman's 'Le Grand Charles'. One day I'll get a Tempest kit to use it on........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

RussC

Thanks for sharing , Chris. We have had remarkably similar journeys in the hobby, interests, timelines, even the subjects. It is amazing how the hobby can go dormant and reappear. A lot of people have found this, and amuse at the changes that took place in the hobby over the hiatus.

It was also Woolworths for me and later added Squadron Shop. Their first location , in the NW suburbs of Chicago , was an easy ride from my place (karma!). What really set them apart was their use of massive display cases, filled with the works of scratchbuilders. And I do remember seeing whiffs then , among them. These displays really sold models, as much as any box art could do.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 22, 2012, 03:52:22 AM
I'm amazed you and I didn't bump into each other back in those days at BMW Chris!

We may well have done Kit, but I would have been a spotty teenager then and I definately don't remember any "big hats"  ;D

Quote from: RussC on April 22, 2012, 06:22:44 AM
It is amazing how the hobby can go dormant and reappear. A lot of people have found this, and amuse at the changes that took place in the hobby over the hiatus.

Yup I think most have us have trod that route, with the length of the gap being the difference. I was definately shocked by the changes in the hobby when I came back and as aluded to it took me a fair while to become comfortable again

NARSES2

Well progress of sorts today.

The P-39 has it's transfers on. I'm using the Battle of the Java Sea sheet by DJ Casper decals. Very nice sheet with loads of options but a word to the wise if using these transfers. They are very good but come away from the backing sheet as soon as they get a smell of the water. Literally dip them in water and take them out otherwise they can start to break up.

The Helldiver has it's second top camo colour on.

The Me 110 has had it's undercarriage fitted. This is turning out to be "one of those kits". Silly mistakes on my part, things that don't fit without a struggle when others put it together easy peasy, lost bits etc  :banghead: I will win in the end though  :thumbsup:

The Tempest got a spray of Halfords white primer for the SEAC ID marks. Heck of a struggle out on the balcony in a gap between showers. The wind blew most of the paint on me !

Also broke a Tamiya Mossie and Hasegawa Beau out of the stash for the next 2 builds. The Beau will be a wif in a seldom seen scheme courtesy of the Flypast Beaufighter Special and the Mossie will be in the Mediterranean theatre.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 23, 2012, 12:45:08 AM
We may well have done Kit, but I would have been a spotty teenager then and I definately don't remember any "big hats"  ;D

I wasn't into 'Big Hats' back then, much more likely to have been wearing a drag racing related baseball cap with LOTS of hair stuffed under it!  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Bit more progress today

P-39 has had it's canopy and final details added. Just needs matt coat now.

Helldiver has had a couple of coats of Future. Hopefully transfers start on Friday.

Started to build the Zero. It's a very nice kit if a little over engineered inplaces.

NARSES2

Not much progress over the last 2 days. Bit of a drink on Thurs = a little lazy on Friday. Plus I've really got into Snuff by a certain T Pratchett and having difficulty putting it down.

Still  managed to get some of the interior bits and bobs of the Mosquito and Beaufighter painted. Hopefully serious progress and some finished projects next week. Could do with this awful weather improving so I can get some priming done  :banghead:

Chris

NARSES2

Finished Snuff - really enjoyed it  :thumbsup:

Managed to get my spraying done on the balcony -priming and some white for ID marks - during a slight break in this inclement weather.

Started assembly on the Airfix Zero (real world), cut the wing tips off for the folding versions and Airfix have done this really well even my ham boned fists did it with nary a mark  ;D

First matt coat on the P-39, pics hopefully this week.

Started putting transfers on the Helldiver.

NARSES2

Not much to day but a little progress

Second Matt coat on P-39

Masked up the Tempest II for it's ID bands

Started cleaning seams up on the Zero. Not down to Airfix but down to my usual standard of assembly (must try and remember to wear my reading specs for close work) Still the kit must be good as there's very little work needed  :thumbsup:

I'm finding this blog lark a very good discipline tool (ooh vicar  :wacko: ;D) Keeps me focused and means I'm trying to do a little modeling each day even if it's only a simple job  :thumbsup:

Radish

Done little modelling myself, so must get back to it....
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

NARSES2

P-39 Finished - pics tomorrow

Zero has the main bits assembled, it's a sweet little kit

Tempest has its undersurface colours on

Helldiver now has all it's transfers on.

Started some initial assembly work on the Mosquito and Beaufighter.

Got a Hasegawa Dauntless down from the stash