CCCP/CIS Post War (WWII) Aircraft Winter Camouflage

Started by Mossie, November 30, 2008, 07:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Hi all, does anyone know if the CCCP/CIS ever used a snow or winter camouflage on their aircraft after WWII?  I'd be grateful for any pics or descriptions, especially for helicopters, but fixed wing is fine too.

Cheers! :cheers:

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TsrJoe

hiyas Simon, i recall seeing a photograph of an early Mi.24P Hind D in a winter camouflage of white (pale grey?) and green instead of the then norm of tan and green, based at one of the training centres in the Soviet far east (Alma Ata?) circa 1979

when the Airfix Hind D kit was released i made a model in the scheme, ill see if it stil survives in the built model boxes

during Soviet winter exercises it was common for a white paint to be applied over the base green colour on items of military equipment, a practice also carried out by most NATO. forces, iv not seen much evidence of VVS. frontline aircraft types having 'oversnow' camouflage applied altho i have seen a photograph of a Mig 'flogger' (i cant recall the sub prefix) in such a scheme somewhere in the past (it was hard to tell from the image but looked to be again 'light' and 'dark' in tone (white and green?)

cheers, joe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Mossie

Hiya Jo, thanks for that!  It's kind of what I was hoping, similar to RAF Jags & Harriers on exercise in Norway.  I'd seen a profile of an An-2 that seemed to have white applied over the whole top surface, which wan't really the way I wanted to go.  It was of poor quality & had no description with it, so it could possibly have been an ambulance or a UN aircraft, hard to tell.

In the case of a three tone uppers, do you think the white would cover just one or two of the colours?  I've not made my mind up on the base camo.  I think most (if not all) operational Soviet helicopters have had a two tone camo, although some of the Mi-28 & Ka-50 demonstrators have been seen with three colours, which might be funky if nothing else!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Thanks Lee.  I heard another way to do it (IPMS Stockholm I think) was to apply your white paint over the top of your camo & allow it to dry for about ten minutes.  Then take add little washing powder & allow it to 'fizz' for five to ten seconds depending on taste & wash it off

I've found a Hind with a whiffed winter scheme on ARC, roughly around the lines I was looking for & quite nicely done:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7401-7500/gal7429-Mi-24-Nielsen/00.shtm

Jeffry Fontaine

Matt Bittner and Erik Pilawskii have a web page devoted to Modelling The Aircraft of the VVS 1917-1950 which has a plethora of camouflage schemes to choose from.  These could be easily adapted to modern (post 1950) aircraft and in most cases would be applicable if their technical manuals and field manuals on the subject and type were not changed much over the years.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

TsrJoe

one from the stash, the old Airfix/MPC. Mi.24P Hind D kit finished in winter camouflage ...

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Mossie

Archangel

Its as much a whiff as anything but the fake Mi-24 Hinds used in the movie Red Dawn had a nifty early winter camoflage painted on them that had white.grey and sand/tan/earth color painted in a splinter(?) style camo.

Mossie

Sauragnmon

Actually, a few corrections to make, RE - Hinds mentioned here...

Joe, that Mi-24 isn't the P model, that's more likely the V, as the 24P is the Gunship model with the 30mm gun.

Archangel, irony of ironies, those Hinds weren't Fake, they were actually the 24A, which had the greenhouse canopy - The A was the only one to carry the greenhouse canopy though, the B and all later models went to the double-bubble we all know and love.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Mossie

Ah, Hind A, get you now.  I'd still like to see the colour scheme if anyone has any pics.

Sauragnmon

Searching around the net, here's one I found:

There ya go... now I want to go get myself a Hind A model... *sigh*  Not that I don't love hinds at all though.

EDIT - kick the link, there we go. Now it works.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

atleasticandraw

Mossie

Thanks for the link Greg.  Hard to make it out but I get the general gist.

Boy, does that film look cheesey!!! :lol: