Author Topic: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Coming soon...  (Read 1099691 times)

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Parani Ki-36 'Ida'
« Reply #2235 on: July 10, 2020, 06:20:18 am »
Love the Kate - I am working on an Italian navy one at present

It's certainly quite an attractive type
Decals my @r$e!

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #2236 on: July 10, 2020, 10:13:13 am »
I'd tone down the pink a good deal more on the 'stang.  Everyone has this idea about PRU Pink being pink - it's not, it's an off white that is barely noticeable as being different, and you can only tell the difference by putting a paint chip next to a sheet of white paper (this was posted by a bloke who was doing research at the PRO at Kew).

Should look more like this:

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline SPINNERS

• Strike Fighters WHIF Master
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Parani Ki-36 'Ida'
« Reply #2237 on: July 10, 2020, 11:09:30 am »
Yes I agree. I did see the IPMS Stockholm notes but reducing the opacity of the pink layer to 35% looked dramatically different from my starting point but I can see that perhaps 10-15% would be better. It's definitely a scheme I'll come back to that's for sure - perhaps on a Hurricane.

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2006/05/stuff_eng_profile_pr_spitfires.htm

Funny thing is I was doing the dishes this morning and through the kitchen window I saw a cloud that had the exact hint of pink look to it's undersides.

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #2238 on: July 10, 2020, 11:55:16 am »
It's my own paint mix on that Spit - one full bottle Xtracrylix White with 5-6 DROPS of Xtracrylix Red Arrows red in it.  It's a very elusive colour, or rather, shade, that everyone seems to get wrong.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread
« Reply #2239 on: July 10, 2020, 12:06:06 pm »
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-3M - 1st Fighter Regiment, Parani Army Air Force, 1944

PARAN MiG-3M.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN MiG-3M.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN MiG-3M.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN MiG-3M.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

Final Parani 'what if' for a while.

Apart from Raven's excellent radial engined Hurricane there are at least two other 'what if' radial engined conversions of inline types and both are by the DAT group - The Yak-3 and the MiG-3. I think I've previously shown them before but this is the latter in Parani markings on a skin I knocked up this afternoon. It's not brilliant and after putting some effort into getting a pretty decent fabric effect on the control surfaces I just lost a bit of patience with the lines and rivets and bailed out. Well, it's only a target for my desert Hurricanes! The underfuselage radiator was removed with a simple edit. BTW there actually was a one-off radial engined MiG-3 as well as the I-211 prototype high-altitude fighter developed from the MiG-3.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 04:06:04 am by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2240 on: July 11, 2020, 09:31:16 am »
Martin-Baker Valente FR.II - No.680 Squadron, RAF Mediterranean and Middle East Command, 1947

The first flight of the Martin-Baker MB.5 prototype took place on May 23rd 1944 with Bryan Greensted (chief test pilot for the propeller manufacturer Rotol) at the controls. Greensted would fly the first prototype on several occasions and his view that it was a superb aircraft was echoed by the test pilots of the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) at RAF Boscombe Down who enthused over its overall performance as it was both a highly maneuverable fighter for dogfighting but also an extremely stable gun platform. With a top speed of over 460 mph at 20,000 feet, an initial climb rate of 3,800 feet per minute, a service ceiling in excess of 40,000 feet and a range of over 1,000 miles the MB.5 was simply too good to ignore and in December 1944, even though victory in Europe was assured, a production order for 300 MB.5's was given to Martin-Baker Aircraft with the intention that the MB.5 would be deployed to the Far East as the RAF's standard fighter-bomber for 'Tiger Force'.

In memory of company co-founder Valentine 'Val' Baker (who had been killed whilst flying the MB.3 prototype in 1942) James Martin of Martin-Baker asked air ministry officials to consider naming the MB.5 'Valentino' but this was not accepted. However, compromise was reached when air ministry officials announced that it was to be called 'Valente'. Development moved smoothly during 1945 but the sudden end of the Pacific War in August 1945 led to the cancellation of many production contracts and the Valente F.Mk.I order was reduced down to just 60 aircraft. With the Meteor and Vampire programmes both proceding well the RAF decided that it no longer needed a fighter or a fighter-bomber and instructed Martin-Baker to reconfigure the Valente for the photo-reconnaissance role specifying the carriage of two K-24 cameras with an oblique camera in the rear fuselage and a vertical camera placed in the mid-fuselage and just in front of the radiator.

Entering RAF service in early 1946 as the Valente PR.II, the aircraft re-equipped No.208 squadron and No.680 squadron in the Middle East both initially flying surveying missions. No.680 Squadron moved to Ein Shemer in September 1946 and was immediately tasked with searching for ships bringing illegal Jewish immigrants from Europe. No.208 squadron moved to Petah Tiqva in December 1946 to also search for illegal shipping but both squadrons carried out anti-terrorist patrols and armed reconniassance missions in support of the 3rd Infantry Brigade from March 1947 onwards. By the end of the year, the UK Government had announced their intention to withdraw from Palestine as soon as possible with the United Nations susequently deciding to partition the country. From that point onwards both squadrons remained in Palestine to cover the final withdrawal of the remaining British forces until the Union Flag was finally lowered in Palestine on May 14th 1948. A few days later the RAF left Palestine forever.

RAF MB5 VALENTE.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.05 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF MB5 VALENTE.06 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

Always one of my favourites, for this PR MB.5 I made this skin using white with 15% red as the base colour but probably spent more time piddling about with the camera 'porthole' which looked OK (see profile below) but in game looks wrong. The MB.5 is totally awesome and cruises along at 40,000ft. To me, it always seemed too big for a Griffon engine that only just scrapes over 2,000hp and how sad that R2496 couldn't have been preserved.

RAF MB5 VALENTE.07 by Spinners1961, on Flickr
Profile view to show the colour before game changes (i.e. different terrains have different light, time of day, altitude, etc.) and post-image processing.

Offline sideshowbob9

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - MB.5 'PR'
« Reply #2241 on: July 11, 2020, 11:21:20 am »
Gorgeous! The MB.5 is truly one of the all-time greats!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2242 on: July 11, 2020, 03:19:18 pm »
The Valente looks terrific, and I can't see the problem with the oblique camera port in the pics, it looks just as you drew in the profile.

They were flying in Palestine at the same time as I was living at Heliopolis nr. Cairo apparently, but I can't remember seeing any there.  ;D

I was only 4 at the time mind you...............   ;)

Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2243 on: July 12, 2020, 02:51:00 am »
One of my favourite aircraft and you've certainly done it justice  :thumbsup:

Certainly given me the inspiration for what to do with one of the AZ ones currently sitting in the stash.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline SPINNERS

« Reply #2244 on: July 12, 2020, 03:38:45 am »
Lockheed P-38L Lightning - 101 Squadron, Israeli Air Force, 1956

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.05 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

IDF P-38L LIGHTNING.06 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

An off the peg 'what if' this one and it's the creation of AC_M over at Combat Ace. I've just made a few adjustments with the decals and taken the screenshots.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #2245 on: July 12, 2020, 04:29:13 am »

Certainly given me the inspiration for what to do with one of the AZ ones currently sitting in the stash.

The Obscureco conversion bits for the F-6 Mustang might fit that quite well.............  ;)

Regards
Kit

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - P-38L IDF Suez
« Reply #2246 on: July 13, 2020, 01:07:14 am »
That IDF P-38 is nice! Earmarked...  ;)

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - P-38L IDF Suez
« Reply #2247 on: July 13, 2020, 11:49:18 am »
Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.IA - No.264 Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, September 1940

No.264 squadron of RAF Fighter Command re-formed on October 30th 1939 with the Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I "turret fighter" but did not commence operations until March 1940 when the squadron started convoy patrols over the English Channel. With no forward firing guns the Defiant crews worked out suitable tactics for air-to-air fighting but after some initial successes, the Luftwaffe soon discovered the Defiant's weaknesses and the squadron suffered such heavy losses that at the end of May 1940 the squadron was withdrawn from Southern RAF Pembrey in South Wales.

In early July 1940 the squadron began to re-equip with the Curtis Tomahawk Mk.IA which had just started to enter service. The Tomahawks were from a large Armée de l'Air order for the Hawk 81A-1 export model but the defeat of France meant that the aircraft were diverted to the RAF in late June 1940 and although testing had shown that the Tomahawk did not have the medium to high altitude performance needed for use as a front-line fighter the Air Ministry simply did not have enough Hurricanes and Spitfires to go around all of Fighter Command's day fighter squadrons. After some teething problems with their new fighter the squadron was declared fully operational at the end of July 1940 but were kept in reserve for most of the frantic month of August. Sharing RAF Pembrey with the Spitfires of No.92 squadron the pilots of No.264 squadron were increasingly frustrated that all emergency scrambles in the western sector of 10 Group were tasked to the Spitfires of No.92 squadron.

However all that changed in late August when, following a raid on Berlin by RAF Bomber Command, Hitler gave the go-ahead to a revenge bombing offensive on London and several other British cities. For RAF Fighter Command the break from Luftwaffe attacks on their airfields allowed them to recover somewhat. On August 31st, 1940 No.264 squadron were transferred to 11 Group moving into RAF Stapleford Tawney in Essex. After a few uneventful days they were in action on September 7th when the Luftwaffe launched a massive series of raids on the East End of London involving nearly four hundred bombers and more than six hundred fighters. No.264 squadron shot down two He-111's but were then engaged by Me-109E's losing two Tomahawks but both pilots parachuted safely. On September 15th, in a decisive action that would later be viewed as being the climax of the Battle of Britain, two massive waves of Luftwaffe attacks were repulsed by Fighter Command with 62 Luftwaffe aircraft being shot down for the loss of 28 RAF aircraft. For No.264 squadron it was another two-all draw with two more He-111's being knocked down for the loss of two Tomahawks to Me-109E's. Two days later Hitler postponed his preparations for the invasion of Britain and agreed to a shift from daylight bombing raids to night bombing. Ironically, this would lead to No.264 squadron converting back to their Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I's in November 1940 and eventually receiving the improved Defiant Mk.II model fitted with AI Mk. IV radar and the Merlin XX engine in September 1941.

RAF TOMAHAWK 1A.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF TOMAHAWK 1A.02 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF TOMAHAWK 1A.03 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF TOMAHAWK 1A.04 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF TOMAHAWK 1A.05 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF TOMAHAWK 1A.06 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

RAF TOMAHAWK 1A.07 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

There's been a flurry of Warhawk and Kittyhawk activity with the DAT Group releasing a P-40B and a P-40E. This is the P-40B originally in a 'Flying Tigers' scheme but I carefully painted over the painted-on markings, tinted the undersides a bit and recoloured the prop spinner. After that it just needed some new No.264 Squadron codes and standard national insignia decals. Tally ho!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:08:54 pm by SPINNERS »

Offline SPINNERS

Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Tomahawk IA BoB
« Reply #2248 on: July 13, 2020, 12:01:49 pm »
Couple of Parani jokers

PARAN YAK-9D FRANK.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

PARAN N1K2-J SHIDEN-KAI.01 by Spinners1961, on Flickr

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Spinners' Strike Fighters Thread - Tomahawk IA BoB
« Reply #2249 on: July 13, 2020, 12:45:05 pm »
LOVE the RAF Tomahawk!   :thumbsup:

And the backstory is brill too.  ;D

Regards
Kit