CAC Westland Wyvern, 805 squadron RAN, HMAS Melbourne, 1967

Started by Doug K, May 10, 2020, 02:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

Need to do more on the back story but I'm imaging the RAN supporting Australian troops on the ground in Vietnam Skyraider-style, using locally built Wyverns. The genesis is that the Wyvern, for all its many faults is one of my favourite aircraft and I've had the Trumpeter 1/72nd scale version in my stash for whiffing. Even my fevered imagination couldn't quite figure out how to get it into the Royal Scots Navy in a US Navy Gull Grey/White scheme (per my Gannet posted elsewhere), not even I could think of a reason for Scotland to have a carrier... :)
Inspiration struck when I found some decals in the collection so pre-Skyhawk 805 squadron will be gifted the Wyvern.....

IMG_4134 by doug_alba, on Flickr

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Doug K on May 10, 2020, 02:34:29 AM

......... not even I could think of a reason for Scotland to have a carrier... :)

And why not? The last two we had were built there! ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 10, 2020, 04:48:35 AM
Quote from: Doug K on May 10, 2020, 02:34:29 AM

......... not even I could think of a reason for Scotland to have a carrier... :)

And why not? The last two had were built there! ;D

True 😂

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Such a cool looking machine. Can never get enough Wyvern !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

It progresses, though I may have to have a back up if the decals are a bit iffy. I have an Argentine sheet somewhere!

IMG_4143 by doug_alba, on Flickr

zenrat

That's quick work.
:thumbsup:

I love the Wyvern.  I've built two of these and am always keeping an eye out for another.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Doug K

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I admire your patience, persistence and eyesight  :bow: I wouldn't even no where to start
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Doug K

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 16, 2020, 12:38:23 AM
I admire your patience, persistence and eyesight  :bow: I wouldn't even no where to start

Thanks, I am questioning my sanity

Doug K

So the old Esci Skyhawk decals, which prompted the insanity-inducing checker pattern for the rudder, just fell apart. It's probably not a surprise as they are likely 30 years old. My fall back position is the Frog Sea Venom's , even older and on 1mm thick carrier film but needs must!

IMG_4148 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_4149 by doug_alba, on Flickr