Westland Waterspout (Sea Whirlwind) MKIII

Started by Doug K, November 21, 2018, 12:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

Hmm, well this seemed like a good idea at the time, Airfix Whirlwind plus conversion kit for the Tamiya Mossie. Simple cut'n'shut, no? NO!

The resin engines mare missing the top of the cowling so PSR2 is being employed. The spinner diameter is way more than I bargained for, so the 4-blade Spit props I had in mind are useless and the only others that come close are from a Lanc!
If I leave the prop blades full length then the cannon will need interrupter gear!

FFS, now I see why they didn't re-engine the Whirlwind with Merlins.....
I fear the the Kestrels with the Spit props would have been more believable!

IMG_1447 by doug_alba, on Flickr

kitnut617

The tops of the cowling are "missing" because you use the kit part that the conversion is made for Doug.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

Can you lengthen the inner wing portions? But then you will probably have to lengthen the landing gear. That might be more than you are willing to invest in this. On the other hand cut down props with squared off tips might look cool. Just my $0.02 worth.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Doug K

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 21, 2018, 12:49:36 PM
The tops of the cowling are "missing" because you use the kit part that the conversion is made for Doug.

Yeah, I assumed that. I tried my various spare cowlings (from all my Defiants) but the curves were wrong.
I'll get there, eventually!

Old Wombat

kerick's suggestion of cut-down 4-blade (maybe even 5-blade?) props sounds the go-to to me. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Martin H

When I did all my Whirlwinds I left the cowlings alone. I just bolted on aeroclub mk9 spitfire props. That and a change in markings were convincing enougth (for me) that you were looking at a Mk II whirlwind or higher....................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Air21

Or just use the nacelles from a Swearingen Merlin   :mellow: you'll only be 1,500lbs lighter for the same hp  :wacko:

Scotaidh

Can you just use the Mossie wings inboard of the engines?  IIRC, they also used wing root radiators -
which would give you the standoff from the fuselage so the prop arcs don't impinge on the firing cones.

Air21, who makes a 1/72 kit of the Swearingen Merlin?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Dizzyfugu

The trick of this stunt is to stick to the considerably smaller Whirlwind propellers - the Mossie props are much too big and long, even though you have to adapt the spinners. The good thing is that the Whirlwind uses the same radiator arrangement as the Mosquito, but you cannot (at least not easily) transplant the Mosquito wing to the Whirlwind, it is much too deep and thick. Using the Whirlwind wings is a better strategy.

NARSES2

On mine I found the Italeri Spitfire Mk V engines (which come separately in their kit) didn't take much fettling at all. Even less if I could cut straight lines  :banghead:

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,45532.0.html

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2018, 07:13:18 AMOn mine I found the Italeri Spitfire Mk V engines (which come separately in their kit) didn't take much fettling at all. Even less if I could cut straight lines  :banghead:

Cutting straight lines is easy and simple. At least, from what I see others do. I still haven't managed it.  :banghead: <--- Joining you in frustration.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Doug K

Quote from: The Rat on November 22, 2018, 07:28:08 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2018, 07:13:18 AMOn mine I found the Italeri Spitfire Mk V engines (which come separately in their kit) didn't take much fettling at all. Even less if I could cut straight lines  :banghead:

Cutting straight lines is easy and simple. At least, from what I see others do. I still haven't managed it.  :banghead: <--- Joining you in frustration.

Not a skill I've mastered either!

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 22, 2018, 06:19:17 AM
The trick of this stunt is to stick to the considerably smaller Whirlwind propellers - the Mossie props are much too big and long, even though you have to adapt the spinners. The good thing is that the Whirlwind uses the same radiator arrangement as the Mosquito, but you cannot (at least not easily) transplant the Mosquito wing to the Whirlwind, it is much too deep and thick. Using the Whirlwind wings is a better strategy.

Yeah, that is my thinking too, right now I can't see any thing for filler dust!

Still, the arrester hook looks ok....  :o

PR19_Kit

In my extensive experience of doing such things I've found that the best way to cut a straight line is to TRY and cut a curved one.

The result will be as straight as a die, just when you DON'T want it to be!  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit