Hasegawa

Started by Maverick, July 28, 2008, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

G'day Gang,

Modellverisum has a review of the double-boxed Hase MiG-21F & MiG-17.  Both kits are fairly old, being original moulds, but that have provided three decal options for each.  Obviously the Revell Fishbed would be better served, although we're yet to see a decent Fresco.

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=3608

Regards,

Mav

ysi_maniac

From an accuracy point of view, Hase Fishbed is pure crap, even Airfix one is much better.
About Fresco, I think it is out of scale, oversized, but I will check. The other contender would be KP that is much worse in details, but I think is more accurate. If you want a decent Fresco, try Bilek (not easy to find) or Dragon.
Will die without understanding this world.

Radish

Revell MiG-21
Wait for the hobbyBoss miG-17
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Weaver

From the pictures, the MiG-21's fuselage looks seriously short.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

McGreig

And now, M'Lud, a few words from the Defence.

I have a soft spot for these kits and have bought two :blink: of this double kit release.

It's true to say that, if you want an accurate MiG-21, don't start from here. However, the decals are worth having and the examples that I bought have virtually no flash and fit together well so that, if you don't know much about the Mig-21 or don't care too much about accuracy, you'll end up with an attractive model that looks like a MiG-21 (so long as you don't stand it beside a Revell or Bilek model  :wacko: )

Another reason that I like the MiG-21 is that, because it's overscale (like its Academy clone), the wings are useful if you want to scratchbuild the MiG-23-01 Faithless or the MiG-23M project or one of the MiG-21 projects that had larger wings, or just for whiffing generally. I'm also thinking of using parts of the fuselage for the Ye-50 series of mixed power fighters.

The MiG-17 is not bad either. Set against the plans that I have, its two main problems are that the wing span is too great and the fin is too large. The wing can be fixed by removing a section from the parallel chord section between the two inner wing fences and cutting down the fin shouldn't be a big problem. I've never bothered to do this with the ones that I've built but (my personal opinion only) I think that, even with its flaws, the Hasegawa kit looks much better than the KP kit which seems to have a narrow, cartoonish wing or the Bilek/Dragon kit which just seems too delicate.

Again, this release of a very old kit has very little flash, fits together well and has interesting decals.

So go on - don't just buy one, buy two - you know it makes sense  :drink:

Weaver - The MiG-21 is overscale and its fuselage is actually too long
Radish - I agree about the Revell MiG-21 but I thought that the Hobby Boss MiG-17 was going to be 1/48?

Geoff

Hase have also released the Tiger and Cougar togeather as a double kit.

lancer

Quote from: Geoff on July 30, 2008, 05:54:55 AM
Hase have also released the Tiger and Cougar togeather as a double kit.

I know! I brought one at the weekend.
I agree about the Revell kit of the MiG, BUT, it is an early version. I was hoping that revell would mould some of the later versions as well. Purely a personal opinion, but I prefer the later models.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

ysi_maniac

Then ... Fujimi is the answer: superb and not expensive.

McGreig

Quote from: ysi_maniac on July 31, 2008, 05:17:53 AM
Then ... Fujimi is the answer: superb and not expensive.

We seem to have wandered away from the original Hasegawa topic, but I completely agree about the Fujimi kit.
The Zvezda "PFM" and "bis" are good if you can find them but the Fujimi model is my favourite MiG-21 kit.  :wub: :wub:
Oddly, you don't have to look far on the internet to find people rubbishing it and a slightly obsessive Finn :dalek: once told me that he had compared the "Black Lynx" boxing to the real thing and that all the panel lines on the kit were wrong! 

While it certainly has its problems - the fuselage is too chunky, the fuselage bulges above the wheel wells are offset forward, and all the "MF" versions actually have the larger "bis" spine, it is a real pleasure to build and the flaws aren't noticeable when it's built - look at AD's ETPS version in the one week GB.

It certainly looks like a late model MiG-21 when it's completed. I've built about half a dozen of them and I have at least 25 in the stash (you can't have too many MiG-21s  ;D)

Radish

Hannants have a 1/72nd MiG-17PF listed from HobbyBoss in Future Releases.
I've a couple on order.
I agree re: the Hasegawa MiG-17PF....I've built a few in the past and it's a nice looking model.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Geoff

The spines did get changed on some Mig-21s at unit level. The SMK was the main one when they realised the CoG was truely screwed with the extra tankage in the "Humpback". IIRC they got fitted with "M" and "MF" spines. So it's possible that other subseries got them changed during overhaul?

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Geoff on July 31, 2008, 11:05:57 AM
The spines did get changed on some Mig-21s at unit level. The SMK was the main one when they realised the CoG was truely screwed with the extra tankage in the "Humpback". IIRC they got fitted with "M" and "MF" spines. So it's possible that other subseries got them changed during overhaul?
Do you mean SMT?

Geoff

Jeffry Fontaine

Modellversium.de has provided a couple of kit reviews for the following model aircraft kits:

Hasegawa # 00921, 1/72nd scale Lockheed S-3A Viking
While this is an older kit it is worth checking to see the images of the kit contents. Markings provided in the kit for one aircraft, Bu-No 9391 with normal squadron markings in 1975 and the special 1976 Bicentennial paint scheme.   

(image source: Modellversium.de)

Hasegawa # 00924, 1/72nd scale Lockheed EKA-3B Skywarrior
Markings provided in the kit two aircraft:
* VAQ-131 Lancers, AB 615, USS John F. Kennedy, BuNo 142252, June 1970
* VAQ-130 Zappers, NG 614, USS Constellation, BuNo 147660, June 1972

(image source: Modellversium.de)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Green Dragon

Here's the box art for J7-W2 jet Shinden Kai. http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/e-w/NEWDETAIL/0901/09846.html
Looks like the kit gains some anti-aircraft rockets as well as the Jet parts. Has optional Luftwaffe markings for Heinz Bar's Red 13. Whif-tastic model.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)