Boulton-Paul VTOL craziness

Started by jcf, April 11, 2019, 02:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

A few B-P notions.

(note that the drawing does not show the fan location, I'll be adding that in myself, and will update the post.)

jcf

zenrat

I can't help but view lift engines as nothing more than dead weight.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on April 12, 2019, 05:09:45 AM

They aren't seen that way by the engine manufacturers...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

Probably why you never see any aircraft in production powered like it. But I'm in total agreement with your comment, on of my main pet peeves -- dead weight being only used for 1% of the operational time (and I think that's being generous too)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

True it is/was a design dead end, but that doesn't stop them looking amazing. One or two are extremely futuristic looking. I wonder if some of the prop designers on things like Thunderbirds originally worked in the aircraft industry ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on April 12, 2019, 06:01:05 AM

????????

Nobody makes lift-jets anymore.

rickshaw

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 12, 2019, 09:34:42 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on April 12, 2019, 06:01:05 AM

????????

Nobody makes lift-jets anymore.

No, they don't.  However, when they did, they weren't seen that way, Jon.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

That's some neat stuff ! Thanks for sharing. So many ideas out there.....
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 12, 2019, 06:19:30 AM
True it is/was a design dead end, but that doesn't stop them looking amazing. One or two are extremely futuristic looking. I wonder if some of the prop designers on things like Thunderbirds originally worked in the aircraft industry ?

The P.146 has a very strong Gerry Anderson / Thunderbirds vibe happening. :mellow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Air21

QuoteThey aren't seen that way by the engine manufacturers...   :banghead:

Sure, like in the F-35b the lift fan only adds value in a very narrow range of the flight envelope but it's function is essential to that very special purpose.  So as a manufacturer I get to upsell you on this magical feature, then put a premium on spares for that whole assembly because if one part of my Rube-Goldberg flying contraption doesn't work then what you have is an overweight F-35a with no gun and less fuel.

I'd bet the same bearing (naturally with different part numbers) in the lift fan is ten times as expensive as the one in the main engine just because it's running 90 degrees off orientation  :rolleyes:

At least the Harrier could vector thrust in flight to be more maneuverable, the Lightning II not so much.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Air21 on April 15, 2019, 05:25:52 AM

I'd bet the same bearing (naturally with different part numbers) in the lift fan is ten times as expensive as the one in the main engine just because it's running 90 degrees off orientation  :rolleyes:

I installed the machine that Rolls Royce use to make the F-35B lift fan (RR make ALL the F-35 lift fans here in the UK) and the machine and the associated GINORMOUS hydraulic power supply cost something like £7-8 million!

On that basis I hate to think how much the fans themselves cost.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

The F-35 doesn't need to VIFF.  :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

I don't think Harriers NEEDED to VIFF, they just could, which turned out to be quite handy.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 15, 2019, 02:23:18 PM
I don't think Harriers NEEDED to VIFF, they just could, which turned out to be quite handy.
Handy for what? Sure it was used in training exercises, however it's doubtful it would have been
a smart move during an actual combat situation with multiple adversaries, you VIFF, he overshoots
his wingman nails you because you've slowed down. Also only of use in a close-in turning fight.
:rolleyes:

A neat airshow trick, like the Sukhoi "Cobra".