Hawker/CA Fury MK1, 452 squadron RAAF, New Guinea 1945

Started by Doug K, December 30, 2018, 08:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

A quick one before the end of the year.

Commonwealth Aircraft were desperately needing a new fighter design for the RAAF, the Wirraway not quite cutting it, Spitfires being somewhat fragile in the tropics and Corsairs being in Short Supply (see http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,45929.msg827250.html#msg827250).

CA designers heard of the Hawker "Light Tempest" design back in Blighty and hastily arranged a license to manufacture, straight from the plans, preceding the first flight of the Fury. Engines were their main problems, again Centaurus were scarce and being kept close to home but a number of Sabres were available to the Aussies. Hence the MK1 Fury seen below.

IMG_1475 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1476 by doug_alba, on Flickr

As a Naval Aircraft modeller of many years, this is the first time I've de-navalised anything!

But I had a Sabre (and the rest of a Matchbox Tempest left over from the Defiant Osprey build http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,45544.msg819473.html#msg819473 and an unused and rather unloved PM Sea Fury.

And this is the result. I feel I should apologies as the Sabre and Griffon version of the Fury were rather pretty. This is as ugly as sin.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Doug K

Quote from: Flyer on December 30, 2018, 08:49:23 AM
Quote from: Doug K on December 30, 2018, 08:16:38 AM
This is as ugly as sin.

:o Totally disagree! looks great!  :wub: :thumbsup:

Too kind, but compared to the Sea Fury? Nah.
My dad used to pull pilots out of them while serving on FAA Crash Tenders, most of them because the trainees forgot the under-cart!
I love the Sea Fury, hence my comment 😂

kitnut617

If anything Doug, maybe just a fairing from front of cowling to windshield like on this Fury with a Sabre (LA610)

Model of it I'm building, it had leading edge radiators but you can see what I'm saying for the top of the cowling.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Doug K

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 30, 2018, 11:18:58 AM
If anything Doug, maybe just a fairing from front of cowling to windshield like on this Fury with a Sabre (LA610)

Model of it I'm building, it had leading edge radiators but you can see what I'm saying for the top of the cowling.

I rest my case, that looks great!
Anyway, mine was a way to use a spare nose 😊

perttime

Quote from: Doug K on December 30, 2018, 10:39:46 AM
This is as ugly as sin.

My dad used to pull pilots out of them while serving on FAA Crash Tenders, most of them because the trainees forgot the under-cart!
But it looks great as a Lightweight Tempest!
(forget about its Fury/Sea Furyness)

Doug K

Quote from: perttime on December 30, 2018, 11:43:05 PM
Quote from: Doug K on December 30, 2018, 10:39:46 AM
This is as ugly as sin.

But it looks great as a Lightweight Tempest!
(forget about its Fury/Sea Furyness)

Good point  :thumbsup: